Corth Bait - Rational Consumers

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Corth Bait - Rational Consumers

Postby Sarvis » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:25 pm

The observation that all company spokespeople confirmed, whether makers of disinfectant toilet-bowl cleaner or makers of microfiber, was quite a revelation: America loves its cleaning chemicals, and lots of them. We have a distinct cleaning culture. And as much as that culture makes us look stubborn, superstitious, underinformed, and overly aggressive, it's who we are. - http://consumerist.com/tag/cleaning/?i=5012299&t=why-super+cleaning-microfiber-has-never-caught-on-in-the-us

Interesting article on why microfiber cleaning cloths never really sold in the US. I've only recently seen infomercials for such things, but apparently they've existed for over a decade. Unfortunately US companies don't want to sell them and US consumers are too comfortable with chemical heavy cleaning products to make the change, even though it's cheaper, safer and more effective overall.

So what was that about the free market working well because consumers are rational?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Re: Corth Bait - Rational Consumers

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Time and MRSA
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:33 pm

I wonder... does it count as replying to Teffie if I point out that the article explains that antibiotic resistant germs (e.g. MRSA) are pretty much a result of chemical cleaning?

Bah... I guess I can blame it on being hung over.

Back to ignoring him...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:18 am

I'm definitely not Corth, but if U.S. companies did not want to sell something that works, I can guarantee that a company from another country would enter the market and sell it.

Supply and demand exists in every facet of our economy; if there is a demand, somebody will supply it. If the populace is ignorant, somebody will pay for infomercials until word of mouth advertising takes over. Educated people (not talking about school here, just the absence of ignorance) will choose whatever is in their best interest as long as somebody is willing to supply it.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:19 am

Sarvis wrote:I wonder... does it count as replying to Teffie if I point out that the article explains that antibiotic resistant germs (e.g. MRSA) are pretty much a result of chemical cleaning?

Back to ignoring him...

It's funny that you both don't understand what I was saying and that you think you know better.

Even funnier that you think the author is even slightly knowledgeable in biology.

Would any chem or bio people please explain why bleach or ammonia will never create dangerous antibiotic resistant germs? Because that would be truly hilarious.
Last edited by teflor the ranger on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:33 am

teflor the ranger wrote:
Sarvis wrote:I wonder... does it count as replying to Teffie if I point out that the article explains that antibiotic resistant germs (e.g. MRSA) are pretty much a result of chemical cleaning?

Back to ignoring him...

It's funny that you both don't understand what I was saying and that you think you know better.

Due to your ambiguous grammar, I cannot tell whether "both" refers to Sarvis and me, or whether you are claiming that Sarvis does not understand what you are saying and that he thinks he knows better.

Please Advise.

Thank you,
Vigis
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:36 am

Vigis wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

Back to ignoring him...

Due to your ambiguous grammar, I cannot tell whether "both" refers to Sarvis and me, or whether you are claiming that Sarvis does not understand what you are saying and that he thinks he knows better.

Please Advise.

Thank you,
Vigis

Sorry. It's funny that Sarvis both ... yadayada

I found your opinion to be right on. Furthermore, I use microfiber cleaning cloths.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:42 am

Vigis wrote:I'm definitely not Corth, but if U.S. companies did not want to sell something that works, I can guarantee that a company from another country would enter the market and sell it.

Supply and demand exists in every facet of our economy; if there is a demand, somebody will supply it. If the populace is ignorant, somebody will pay for infomercials until word of mouth advertising takes over. Educated people (not talking about school here, just the absence of ignorance) will choose whatever is in their best interest as long as somebody is willing to supply it.

Whether or not someone is supplying it is immaterial. In fact, I mentioned infomercials in my post. I'm pointing out that the public does not always make rational decisions, that is all.

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:24 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Vigis wrote:I'm definitely not Corth, but if U.S. companies did not want to sell something that works, I can guarantee that a company from another country would enter the market and sell it.

Whether or not someone is supplying it is immaterial. In fact, I mentioned infomercials in my post. I'm pointing out that the public does not always make rational decisions, that is all.

Why your point is an extremely poor and unsupported point:

1) The article plainly states that microfiber cloths can't do what cleaning chemicals do.
2) The article does not demonstrate consummer irrationality.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:31 pm

it's small fiber, sweet.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:27 am

how many gigabits of throughput can it do?

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”