No E3 thread?

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

No E3 thread?

Postby Yasden » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:26 am

I'm disappointed in the other technophiles here!

My summary:

Nintendo gets an F-. Not surprising. The Wii's innovativeness has gotten boring with the plethora of lame games.

I was impressed by Sony's surpises, and yeah even some of the MS releases looked pretty cool. I'm still disappointed that FF13 is gonna be a multiconsole game...UGH.

Looking forward to Fallout 3. Bethesda did well with Oblivion, I think they'll knock this one out of the park.

GOW2 looks pretty good, although I think Resistance 2 will still top it.

The DC vs MK game looks pretty sick too. I'm curious of the many ways Superman can really die now. :D Soul Calibur 4 is gonna be insanely cool, even if they did hokey it up with the addition of Vader. SF4 is coming next year, so we'll see....

I've been watching the downloadable Dead Space comics off the PS Store, and the game looks pretty cool. I'd like to play that and RE5...but Mirror's Edge really went beyond that. They took the environment manipulation to a new level, even more so than Assassin's Creed.

Of course, can't forget the new COD. Looks like they're going back to the classic style. The trailer looks like the game has gotten a lot gorier, which is great. More ways for foot soldiers to die is better! :P
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:35 am

I thought E3 was dead.

It may as well be, just like the game industry. Goodbye innovation, hello soulless life sucking megacorps and sequel-itis!

</troll>
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Yasden » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:38 am

They've said that this might've been the last year for it. The gaming industry isn't going anywhere though. I agree with you about the lack of thought put into some games these days.

If you ever heard of the game Haze that came out a couple months ago by Ubisoft, you'll know what I'm talking about. That game was being looked forward to for a long time, and kept getting delayed and delayed and delayed. They finally release it, and it receives one of the worst ratings of all time, because the game is just really that bad. It's truly one of the epic fails of the next-gen console era.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!



Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev



Why Nerox is jealous of me:



Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
kiryan
Sojourner
Posts: 7275
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA and Flagstaff, AZ
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby kiryan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:25 am

i haven't read anything but crap out of E3 this year.

the most exciting thing to me was that xbox360 came down in price $50 and will get rock band 2 first.
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Ragorn » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:47 am

Yasden wrote:I was impressed by Sony's surpises, and yeah even some of the MS releases looked pretty cool. I'm still disappointed that FF13 is gonna be a multiconsole game...UGH.

GOW2 looks pretty good, although I think Resistance 2 will still top it.

Wow, dude. Just... wow.

The PS3 is this generation's most expensive blu-ray player. Copying the XBox's achievements and releasing Another Metal Gear Solid isn't going to be its salvation. Just glad Squeenix finally realized that it's time to get off the sinking ship, and time to start making games for consoles people actually own :)

Finally:

Image

Cannot wait.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Kifle » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:28 am

Ragorn wrote:
Yasden wrote:I was impressed by Sony's surpises, and yeah even some of the MS releases looked pretty cool. I'm still disappointed that FF13 is gonna be a multiconsole game...UGH.

GOW2 looks pretty good, although I think Resistance 2 will still top it.

Wow, dude. Just... wow.

The PS3 is this generation's most expensive blu-ray player. Copying the XBox's achievements and releasing Another Metal Gear Solid isn't going to be its salvation. Just glad Squeenix finally realized that it's time to get off the sinking ship, and time to start making games for consoles people actually own :)

Finally:

Image

Cannot wait.


Good lord that drum set looks sexy. I hope it's more functional/reliable than the rockband drum kit. I had mine for about 1.5 months and the sensitivity crapped out on it... and I don't even bang the bastard.

Also, yeah, the playstation is this gen's gamecube. It's cool and all, but it sucks at the same time. I'll get one when I want a blueray player. They do have that rpg that's coming out that looks like a suped-up version of oblivion, but I still wouldn't buy it when MS offers things like live, they still have halo exclusivity, and many of the old PS exclusives are going to the Xbox.

Regardless, I only play GH/Rockband these days with the kids, so I haven't been paying too much attention to games these days.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Teyaha » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:05 am

hrm. when i bought my ps3 about 18months ago it was a helluva lot cheaper t han the cheapest blu-ray player. i think it's still competitive with the recently announced price cuts. although with final fantasy XIII also being planned for the 360 it no longer really has an edge over the M$ system.

the most exciting thing out of e3 was the dropping of the wotlk nda and the kotor mmorpg imo. too many big names have pulled out of it and it's too commercialized. i stopped attending the second year it was opened to the public. before that, when it was just media and those of us in the know it was a great event.

it's still a sad point for me th know that the wii has outsold the 360 and ps3 combined in the US. the wii really is gimmicky as a game platform, although i do enjoy the workout wii sports gives me :P

as someone with all 3 systems + 3 $4k+ each pc gaming rigs i can safely say that a) the pc isnt going anywhere and b) ms is not likely to lose it's lead over sony in quality titles anytime soon
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:04 pm

Yasden wrote:I'm still disappointed that FF13 is gonna be a multiconsole game...UGH.


What? Why? Upset that your precious PS3 won't be special or something?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:15 pm

Why is KOTOR exciting? Sure, if it were Bioware it could be interesting...but they're dead and done, just like Blizzard.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:36 pm

Err...? I thought it was BioWare... and since when is Blizzard dead?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:48 pm

BioWare was acquired by Electronic Arts as of January, 2008.

Blizzard has changed hands several times and has been owned by Vivendi for the last decade or so. It's essentially just another monolithic company using a prestigious name associated with games created by development teams that no longer work there. Plus, I'm trolling.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Ragorn » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:46 pm

Shevarash wrote:Why is KOTOR exciting? Sure, if it were Bioware it could be interesting...but they're dead and done, just like Blizzard.

Yeah, tell me about it. Mass Effect and World of Warcraft are just terrible, terrible titles. I mean, I'm not even sure why these guys get up in the morning anymore :D
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:17 pm

I'm not sure Mass Effect counts as an EA-Bioware game, Rags. It was released after the acquisition but certainly begun long before it.

As for Blizzard, well - I think it's pretty clear that the Blizzard of today has little in common with the pre-WoW Blizzard, other than their IP. Sure, they have the bottomless pockets to hire the needed talent to develop their IP, but the original creative talent is long gone. Notice how their latest projects are just more sequels, and the expansions just add more levels and a new tier of eq? Not exactly innovative or exciting.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:08 pm

Shevarash wrote:BioWare was acquired by Electronic Arts as of January, 2008.


I know, but they're still BioWare. (Until they prove otherwise, at least...)

Blizzard has changed hands several times and has been owned by Vivendi for the last decade or so. It's essentially just another monolithic company using a prestigious name associated with games created by development teams that no longer work there.


MAybe, but those games are still good. Well... in theory anyway.

Plus, I'm trolling.


Ah, ok then.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:20 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Shevarash wrote:BioWare was acquired by Electronic Arts as of January, 2008.


I know, but they're still BioWare. (Until they prove otherwise, at least...)


Well that's optimistic. If Taco Bell bought your favorite gourmet restaurant, would you still be optimistic about the food quality? :)
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:27 pm

Considering Taco Bell is my favorite fast food restaurant, and is destined to win the franchise wars in a few years... :P
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:35 pm

...

Fair enough. You guys are no fun.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Ragorn » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:48 pm

Shevarash wrote:As for Blizzard, well - I think it's pretty clear that the Blizzard of today has little in common with the pre-WoW Blizzard, other than their IP. Sure, they have the bottomless pockets to hire the needed talent to develop their IP, but the original creative talent is long gone. Notice how their latest projects are just more sequels, and the expansions just add more levels and a new tier of eq? Not exactly innovative or exciting.

I think you and I are about to get into the same kind of argument I have with indie music fans... the debate about "popular" versus "good."

The base fact of the matter is that World of Warcraft is the embodiment of what makes a MMO popular. Warcraft isn't for everybody, and everyone who plays has their own issues with the game, but I'd say they do a pretty good job of keeping 90% of their players 90% happy. Does a game need to constantly innovate to be good? I don't think it does. I think you can be successful by simply perfecting what's already out there.

That's Blizzard's business model, to occupy a genre and simply dominate it until there's nobody left. They completely own the RTS genre, and apart from the odd C&C fan, you're not going to find many people who will argue against Starcraft as the best RTS of all time (while Warcraft 3 is the undisputed champion of player-authored map construction). And the fact that World of Warcraft has 4 times as many active subscribers as their nearest competitor speaks volumes. Blizzard does what Blizzard does, and they do it better than anyone else on the planet.

I don't know what to think about Bioware, although my opinion on EA is starting to change. Riccitiello seems like a solid CEO, he looks like he's making a lot of positive movement within the company. I hope the era of annual $50 roster updates and horrible movie tie-in games is over. I know Rock Band owns my soul completely and thoroughly, and that's an EA publication. I might not mind Taco Bell buying my favorite eating establishment if the CEO of Taco Bell went on Kotaku and talked about his plans to start serving filet mignon. We'll see how it turns out.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Lilira
Sojourner
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:53 pm

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Lilira » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:55 pm

"In the future, all restaurants are Taco Bell."
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Kifle » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:54 pm

I'm kinda with shev here. Anything EA touches, I usually dislike and quit playing because of shitty end-product: BF2 for example. Hell, look at sims2. The game is horribly coded and runs poorly on a lot of computers I've ran into that are far greater than the recommended requirements. One of the madden incarnations didn't even have an option to hide your plays during 2 player games. How the hell did that get released?

I love bioware games and have for a long time; however, this EA aquisition scares the crap out of me. I loved the first kotor -- the second one got botched big time imo with the rushed release and missing content (they cut the ending and a whole planet of quests among other things). I don't think bioware would have turned the series into an mmo without a company like EA salivating for monthly subscriptions -- but that is just speculation. The game was meant to be a single-player rpg title that focuses on your player being the ultimate bad-ass -- not a game where there are millions of tiny bad-asses that need to group together to fight the current ultra bad-ass before they patch in and make the ultra ultra bad-ass that's somehow more powerful than ultra bad-ass v1.0. It will basically become the dragonball z of mmo's -- which pains me so much to think about.

As far as rock band, yeah, rock band is an addicting game and I play it when I have free time; however, they fucked it up. The way the guitar/bass notes changed from larger circles that give you more time to react and made the hammer-on distinction hardly noticable on anything other than a 52" screen is rediculous. I love guitar hero, but I almost always refuse to play guitar on rock band. The drum control is cheaply made and they should have taken into account that people will smack the thing with a decent amount of force -- you have to in order to do the multi-head rolls or you wont hit the drum in time. The layout of the drum, but I'm not sure if I can blame EA on that one. Don't even get me started on the wireless drum that ships out with rock band. Needless to say, I use my old GH guitar for it. Imo, GH world tour will smoke rock band and you'll see a lot more band signings akin to the aerosmith contract with GH.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:56 pm

I didn't say anything about the popularity of WoW and I would never argue it's runaway success. That doees not, however, equate to quality - but that's an entirely different discussion.

My point was that the current incarnations of BioWare and Blizzard are very different from the innovative studios they used to be, as they are both owned by giant corporations to which innovation does not come easily. Because of that, it's seems unwise to predict the same level of quality from their future releases. That's all.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:27 am

Shevarash wrote:I didn't say anything about the popularity of WoW and I would never argue it's runaway success. That doees not, however, equate to quality - but that's an entirely different discussion.

My point was that the current incarnations of BioWare and Blizzard are very different from the innovative studios they used to be, as they are both owned by giant corporations to which innovation does not come easily. Because of that, it's seems unwise to predict the same level of quality from their future releases. That's all.



Actually EA may be improving, I've seen more titles coming from them that were fun or look like they will be. Mirror's Edge, for instance... although that caught my attention because Terry Pratchett's daughter is writing the story as much as anything else.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Kifle » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:34 am

Sarvis wrote:
Shevarash wrote:I didn't say anything about the popularity of WoW and I would never argue it's runaway success. That doees not, however, equate to quality - but that's an entirely different discussion.

My point was that the current incarnations of BioWare and Blizzard are very different from the innovative studios they used to be, as they are both owned by giant corporations to which innovation does not come easily. Because of that, it's seems unwise to predict the same level of quality from their future releases. That's all.



Actually EA may be improving, I've seen more titles coming from them that were fun or look like they will be. Mirror's Edge, for instance... although that caught my attention because Terry Pratchett's daughter is writing the story as much as anything else.


Mirror's Edge reminded me of old-school tomb raider with less insentive to shit things and a better environment. It also made me thing of a step back from what portal did with no comedy upside. I'm not too enthusiastic about it.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Yasden » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:44 am

You crapbox fanboys are all the same. Using the 'OMG I'M A NOOB AND I PAID 200 LESS FOR MY CONSOLE BECAUSE I WAS TOO IMPATIENT!' excuse as to why the 360 is better. How are those yellow lights of death working out for you? What's that? No true HD processing capabilities? YOU DON'T SAY!

Please.

Yeah, I paid $200 more for my system. So what? At least mine has some sort of usefulness and can actually do what a TRUE NEXT-GEN CONSOLE IS SUPPOSED TO DO. Xbox may have more sales, but more and more people are dropping the Wii and 360 every day and realizing that the PS3 has it all.

PS3's processing capabilities still far surpass the 360's. I prefer to invest for the future, not for something that's only going to last for 3 years. The new xbox console will be out next year and then you will all be scrambling to buy something else that..guess what! Will cost more than the PS3 and will still have subpar graphics processing.

Don't you noobs realize by now how the Microsoft MoneyMaking Machine works? Surely I'd think you'd have learned with their operating systems. :)
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!



Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev



Why Nerox is jealous of me:



Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:58 am

Yasden wrote:At least mine has some sort of usefulness and can actually do what a TRUE NEXT-GEN CONSOLE IS SUPPOSED TO DO.


Play BluRay movies?

Xbox may have more sales, but more and more people are dropping the Wii and 360 every day and realizing that the PS3 has it all.


All? Define "all." It's got one must have game that I can think of, with 1/3 of the 350's library and half the fun value of Wii Sports alone.

PS3's processing capabilities still far surpass the 360's. I prefer to invest for the future, not for something that's only going to last for 3 years. The new xbox console will be out next year and then you will all be scrambling to buy something else that..guess what! Will cost more than the PS3 and will still have subpar graphics processing.


Maybe, but a year later you'll be buying the PS4 for it's GreenRay movie playing capabilities.

Don't you noobs realize by now how the Microsoft MoneyMaking Machine works? Surely I'd think you'd have learned with their operating systems. :)


So Sony isn't interested in making money? Huh... maybe that's why the PS3 isn't making any money for them.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Teyaha » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:37 am

EA is taking a hands-off approach with bioware. they are free to make and do whatever the hell they want.

ea and blizzard and other companies being bought up by the big guys is actually normal and was expected for the industry - it is a little overdue for some consolidation.

the activision-blizzard merger again wont affect blizzard. the only thing that has affect world of warcraft is the fact that the majority of that games original development team left soon after launch. consequently their brainchildren - mythos and hellgate:london are now officially in the crapper

wrath of the lich king is fantastic. yes i'm in the beta. they fixed a LOT of the issues with that game. i have a 70 of every class but a priest - all horde. i feel for priest and their circle of healing nerf, but quite frankly once you had priests with 2400+ healing you didnt need any of the other healers for anything but different buffs. it needed to be tuned in some way. dunno that the 6sec cooldown was it. personally i think a higher mana cost would have been more ideal. druids are badass healers in beta for both pve and pvp in every situation imagineable. deathknights are a blast to play, but i can see they will be pigeon-holed in many respects the way paladins have been to date come end game.

it doesn fix what bc broke imo, but it does make the game interesting again.

a kotor MMORPG will be great imo. they have a lot more leeway than the swg guys did. swg launched 10 years after the New Order of star wars books had begun and they stuck to almost NONE of that canon - canon lucas himself said was approved. teras kasi was an affront to star wars fans who follow the...lore if you will. swords? c'mon! JEDI during the civil war????

bioware will succeed if they stick to their guns, and stick to their material. the fans will flock especially if the time period is between kotor 1 and kotor 2, or before kotor 1 during the mandalorian wars. now THAT would be f'ng hot.
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:43 am

Yasden wrote:Don't you noobs realize by now how the Microsoft MoneyMaking Machine works? Surely I'd think you'd have learned with their operating systems. :)

Yes. They make fun, inexpensive games like Puzzle Quest and Catan available for direct download via XBox Live Arcade, and I pay them for it.

It's a pretty good system, I have to admit. It's so good that I'm pretty sure Sony is tripping over themselves to copy it.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:48 am

Ragorn wrote:
Yasden wrote:Don't you noobs realize by now how the Microsoft MoneyMaking Machine works? Surely I'd think you'd have learned with their operating systems. :)

Yes. They make fun, inexpensive games like Puzzle Quest and Catan available for direct download via XBox Live Arcade, and I pay them for it.

It's a pretty good system, I have to admit. It's so good that I'm pretty sure Sony is tripping over themselves to copy it.


Puzzle quest is fun... but it's cheating gets annoying after a while. I had one enemy kill me in 3 moves because the tiles fell perfectly for him.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Kifle » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:00 am

Yasden wrote:You crapbox fanboys are all the same. Using the 'OMG I'M A NOOB AND I PAID 200 LESS FOR MY CONSOLE BECAUSE I WAS TOO IMPATIENT!' excuse as to why the 360 is better. How are those yellow lights of death working out for you? What's that? No true HD processing capabilities? YOU DON'T SAY!

Please.

Yeah, I paid $200 more for my system. So what? At least mine has some sort of usefulness and can actually do what a TRUE NEXT-GEN CONSOLE IS SUPPOSED TO DO. Xbox may have more sales, but more and more people are dropping the Wii and 360 every day and realizing that the PS3 has it all.

PS3's processing capabilities still far surpass the 360's. I prefer to invest for the future, not for something that's only going to last for 3 years. The new xbox console will be out next year and then you will all be scrambling to buy something else that..guess what! Will cost more than the PS3 and will still have subpar graphics processing.

Don't you noobs realize by now how the Microsoft MoneyMaking Machine works? Surely I'd think you'd have learned with their operating systems. :)


I don't get it. Xbox, to me, is more fun because of the advanced library. It is more fun because it has xbox live which is, regardless of whether you think it's just a "money making" scam, the best console internet system available. When I owned an xbox, I never had problems with it. It had all the games I wanted to play on the console (r6, gears, halo, GH, etc), which the ps3 did not. Personally, the ps3 has nothing I want other than a blue-ray player.

Secondly, while the ps3 is technologically more advanced in some areas, I don't see it being taken advantage of in any way that makes their games better than the xbox titles. In fact, it could be argued that the difficulty writing ps3 games, in relation to the relative ease of xbox, makes developers flock to the xbox -- meaning I have a greater chance of getting to play good titles if I have an xbox rather than a ps3. Lastly, on this point, I've played both the 360 and the ps3 on HD tvs and I can say that the discrepency is hardly noticable as far as graphics are concerned. Your arguments remind me of the kind of people that will shell out $1.2k for sli video cards to squeeze out 10 more fps than my $200 card. Great, you can run your game with 4xaa while I can only hit 2x. The difference is hardly noticable if at all. This great disparity of technology you claim between the ps3 and the 360 amounts to dick flexing over paper stats -- stats that rarely, to this date and in the forseeable future, into real-life advantages.

Lastly, WTF? When did this ever turn into a "fanboy" argument? I got my 360 because it had the titles I wanted and I didn't see the need to pay $250 more for different HD technology when the HDdvd/blueray battle wasn't even over yet. There are no exclusive titles for ps3 that I can't live without -- except maybe that rpg that I can't think of the name of for some reason. Either way, between my PC, wii, and xbox, I'm pretty well covered as far as gaming is concerned. In the end, the marginal gain in technology the ps3 offers pales in comparison to it's shortening list of exclusives, its price, and it's lack of online functionality. So, justify your spending anyway you like, but don't bother trying to blame it's failings on fanboyism and corporate following. I decided my avenue based upon what best suited my needs and wants -- unfortunately for Sony, their offering did not suit them as well as the MS offering this time around.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:10 am

Sarvis wrote:Puzzle quest is fun... but it's cheating gets annoying after a while. I had one enemy kill me in 3 moves because the tiles fell perfectly for him.

Why do you let the enemy take turns?

Knight infinite combo ftw.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:11 am

It also really doesn't help that they removed PS2 compatibility... it's finally gotten down to a price point I'd think about, but since my PS2 is broken that's half the reason I'd get one. (The other half being a BluRay player... it's kind of sad that for a GAMING system the reasons I'd want one are oldschool games and movie playing capabilities...)
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:13 am

Ragorn wrote:
Sarvis wrote:Puzzle quest is fun... but it's cheating gets annoying after a while. I had one enemy kill me in 3 moves because the tiles fell perfectly for him.

Why do you let the enemy take turns?

Knight infinite combo ftw.


Err... because I'm a druid and don't know an infinite combo?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:16 am

Sarvis wrote:Err... because I'm a druid and don't know an infinite combo?

Oh, I think I see your problem then :)
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner
Posts: 1292
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:53 am

Image


...
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Teyaha » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:49 am

buy all 3 systems. they are not that expensive.
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:00 pm

For those of you who are also salivating over that tantalizing drum set I posted, the link is here:

www.drumrocker.com

$300. Three hundred dollars. The nice thing is that the set will be compatible with both GH4 and RB2 (who knows about the Konani game, don't count on it), and the even nicer thing is that it's compatible with a line of drum brains that will allow you to use the set as a regular MIDI drum kit.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:34 pm

I wasn't referring to the Activision "merger", rather Vivendi and the original dev team leaving. As for Bioware, the likelihood of EA truly remaining "hands-off" as both the parent company and the publisher is pretty slim, in my opinion. That said, I hope Bioware can retain their identity and enough creative freedom to make a great KOTOR MMO also. It's just difficult to be an optimist about this industry for me, these days.

As for consoles, I bowed out in the last generation. I'll probably pick up a Wii for the kids this year, but I don't have much personal interest in either a 360 or a PS3. If I were going to pick one though, it'd be a 360, no contest.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Shevarash wrote:It's just difficult to be an optimist about this industry for me, these days.

Yeah, I see that. I'm having a hard time picking out your actual complaints, other than a sort of vague feeling of corporate dread. And your impression that Blizzard and Bioware are somehow "different" from how they used to be... except it doesn't seem like you actually play any of the games these studios make? I dunno.

You don't play WoW and you said you don't have a current console, so I can assume you also haven't played Mass Effect (unless you picked up the recent PC port)?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:23 pm

Teyaha wrote:buy all 3 systems. they are not that expensive.



Right... maybe not if you're part of the Gates family. :P

Seriously though, even though I could afford a PS3 I can't justify the money. There's better things to do with it... like buying XBox or Wii games, or building a new PC. :P
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Kifle » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:47 pm

Ragorn wrote:
Shevarash wrote:It's just difficult to be an optimist about this industry for me, these days.

Yeah, I see that. I'm having a hard time picking out your actual complaints, other than a sort of vague feeling of corporate dread. And your impression that Blizzard and Bioware are somehow "different" from how they used to be... except it doesn't seem like you actually play any of the games these studios make? I dunno.

You don't play WoW and you said you don't have a current console, so I can assume you also haven't played Mass Effect (unless you picked up the recent PC port)?


I'm assuming he's talking about history repeating itself. Many companies have been gutted and restocked with sub-par coders and the inventiveness of the games that are released from those companies become piles of shit. I'm with shev in that I am bothered by the EA buyout of Bioware because EA has a habit of releasing crappy games.

As for Blizzard, I'll wait to make my judgement for when Diablo III comes out.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:13 pm

Kifle wrote:I'm with shev in that I am bothered by the EA buyout of Bioware because EA has a habit of releasing crappy games.


This, Rags, is what I was getting at in regards to Bioware.

As for the game industry in general, I thought I was pretty clear: lack of innovation and sequel-itis. It's rare to find a game from one of the majors that pushes the envelope, tries truly new things (as opposed to gimmicks), and makes you think, instead of pandering to our basest instincts. The problem is that as cutting edge graphics and first-rate marketing get more and more expensive, taking a financial risk on a game that tries something different is no longer economically feasible, so we end up with homogenized games that all fit into a certain mold, and endless sequels for IPs that have proven themselves money-makers. Just like another massive entertainment industry - movies.

That's not to say that there aren't some independent developers out there making good games - again, just like the movie industry - but it's harder to find them, and they don't get much press. Anyways, those are my complaints in general, hope that was clearer.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Yasden » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm

How long was the PS2 out before the PS3 was released? Saying that another PS console will be coming in even 2 years is ludicrous, simply because Sony will market it for at LEAST 5 years before they even leak out photos of a new system. Microsoft released the original Xbox in 2001 and the 360 nearly exactly 4 years later. The new console will be be out most likely in 2010 or 2011, due to the fact that MS is trying to recoup the 1.26 billion invested in producing the 360. They're going to most likely have 8 cores, but who knows what chipset technology will do in the next year or two.

If you want some example of success, look at Sony's library dating back to the PS1. The PS2 was released roughly 5 years after the PS1 came out, and it was already pushing the 720p in the later stages.

What I meant by true next-gen console is the resolution and HD capabilities. For where we are technologically, neither the Wii nor the 360 have 1080p (true HD).

For the record Rags, I don't think you have seen Sony's Playstation Store, which you can access for free just like everything else on the PSN. There's plenty of trailers, demos, and yes, even cheap games. Almost every single one is under 10 dollars. They even rereleased the old Super Stardust and put it in HD format. They've released some of their titles straight to digital download too, like GT:Prologue, and Warhawk, for $40, which is great if you've got the space on your drive to accomodate it (no load times!). Two weeks ago, they also started releasing movies to buy OR rent over the PS Store. There's some HD, and some SD (standard def) movies in the library, more being added weekly.

They are constantly releasing add-ons for games like GH3, RB, etc....some free, some not. Usually the RB tracks are 99 cents per download unless it's a multipack.

I just wanted to clarify that you guys are bagging on a console that you really know nothing about other than it's more expensive than yours. The controllers are exactly the same as the PS2's with some minor aesthetic changes, and the DualShock3 controllers just came out 2-3 months ago, which completely own over the old DS2 ones on the PS2.

I also wanted Sarvis to know I own a Wii. I actually waited in line for one because I couldn't get a PS3 at launch (had to wait a month, found one by dumb luck on Christmas Eve morning at 5 AM at a Wal-Mart). The Wii gets its kudos for being original. It gets major suck points for having way too many craptacular titles, or subpar versions (not just graphically, but gameplay-wise too) of other games. I enjoyed Twilight Princess, and I still want to play Metroid Prime 3, but other than that the other games I have for it really don't see the light of day unless my oldest plays them.

Nintendo jumped on the download trend, and made old titles available. However, they are entirely too expensive. I'd LOVE to replace my entire library of NES/SNES cartridges I still have lying around, but 5 bucks for a freaking digital copy of Zelda? That's ridiculous. $8 for SNES/Genesis/NeoGeo/Jaguar titles? Even more ridiculous. Sell them all for .99-1.49 and they'd make a killing on them. That's all people were paying for the titles in Gamestop when they still carried those types of games.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that you guys are making statements that aren't entirely true, or are missing some facts. I'm not saying the PS3 is the best console for everyone, but if you're a hardcore gamer and AV junkie, it is.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!



Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev



Why Nerox is jealous of me:



Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:10 pm

Yasden wrote:How long was the PS2 out before the PS3 was released?


How long was it before something competitive enough to force them to was released?

What I meant by true next-gen console is the resolution and HD capabilities. For where we are technologically, neither the Wii nor the 360 have 1080p (true HD).


The Wii went a different route, and just doesn't need HD capabilities.

The XBox 360, however, DOES support 1080p. Apparently the issue was the lack of an HDMI cable, which they added in with the 360 Elite version a year or so ago.

Two weeks ago, they also started releasing movies to buy OR rent over the PS Store. There's some HD, and some SD (standard def) movies in the library, more being added weekly.


So they caught up to the 360 on this feature, just as Microsoft announces their deal with Netflix which will allow them to provide tons more movies. Wow, I'm impressed. :roll"

I just wanted to clarify that you guys are bagging on a console that you really know nothing about other than it's more expensive than yours.


I know it barely has any games I want, and games I thought looked good in previews tanked when released because they sucked.

I also wanted Sarvis to know I own a Wii. I actually waited in line for one because I couldn't get a PS3 at launch (had to wait a month, found one by dumb luck on Christmas Eve morning at 5 AM at a Wal-Mart). The Wii gets its kudos for being original. It gets major suck points for having way too many craptacular titles, or subpar versions (not just graphically, but gameplay-wise too) of other games. I enjoyed Twilight Princess, and I still want to play Metroid Prime 3, but other than that the other games I have for it really don't see the light of day unless my oldest plays them.


Not entirely Nintendo's fault, but the funny thing is it has about as many quality titles as the PS3 does. (In fact, percentage wise all three are running about the same percentage of quality titles... I had a discussion about this on fark the other day.)

MP3 is awesome though, go play it.

Nintendo jumped on the download trend, and made old titles available. However, they are entirely too expensive. I'd LOVE to replace my entire library of NES/SNES cartridges I still have lying around, but 5 bucks for a freaking digital copy of Zelda? That's ridiculous. $8 for SNES/Genesis/NeoGeo/Jaguar titles? Even more ridiculous. Sell them all for .99-1.49 and they'd make a killing on them. That's all people were paying for the titles in Gamestop when they still carried those types of games.


Not really, the good games easily sold for $5+. I've seen the original Zelda for as much as $10. For the crappy games, yeah it's overpriced a bit... but for the good ones it's about right.

There's also the new Wii-Ware titles, although I think there needs to be more time to see how that will turn out. I wasn't impressed with Square's offering, but there's another game on there I've been meaning to try out. Can't remember the name atm...

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that you guys are making statements that aren't entirely true, or are missing some facts.


This from the guy who claims the 360 doesn't do 1080p?

I'm not saying the PS3 is the best console for everyone, but if you're a hardcore gamer and AV junkie, it is.


I'd say for a hardcore gamer the 360 is far better... you know, with it having over twice as many good games and all.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Corth » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:03 pm

Damn Yasden. You got Sarvis'd (tm) and its not even a political thread!
Attachments
pedantic.png
pedantic.png (4.79 KiB) Viewed 4512 times
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:03 pm

*pat Corth*
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Corth » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:05 pm

Shevarash wrote:That's not to say that there aren't some independent developers out there making good games - again, just like the movie industry - but it's harder to find them, and they don't get much press. Anyways, those are my complaints in general, hope that was clearer.


If movie snobbery wasn't bad enough, now we have to deal with game snobbery too!? :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Tasan
Sojourner
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Fridley, Mn USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Tasan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:13 pm

Shevarash wrote:It's just difficult to be an optimist about this industry for me, these days.


It's just difficult for me to be an optimist about Toril these days.

</troll>

Yasden wrote:straight to digital download too, like GT:Prologue, and Warhawk, for $40, which is great if you've got the space on your drive to accomodate it (no load times!).


Warhawk should have been "straight to the 5 dollar bin". God awful imo, and completely online? Wtf was I thinking buying it. F*** you Ryan :)
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Ragorn » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:38 am

Yasden wrote:For the record Rags, I don't think you have seen Sony's Playstation Store, which you can access for free just like everything else on the PSN. There's plenty of trailers, demos, and yes, even cheap games. Almost every single one is under 10 dollars. They even rereleased the old Super Stardust and put it in HD format. They've released some of their titles straight to digital download too, like GT:Prologue, and Warhawk, for $40, which is great if you've got the space on your drive to accomodate it (no load times!). Two weeks ago, they also started releasing movies to buy OR rent over the PS Store. There's some HD, and some SD (standard def) movies in the library, more being added weekly.

Sure I have. It's called XBox Live, I've had it for two years, and it has nine times more content than PS Store :) Oh, and this fall, we'll be streaming Netflix movies straight to our XBoxes over XBL. So, there's that :)
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Teyaha » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:44 am

sarvis, the playstaion store has been open since the day the machine launched. i was downlaoding HD movie trailers and free games (tekken 4 in HD was a free download for months) when the system launched and i'm sorry but having b oth and playing both, resistance: fall of man > halo 3. halo 3 has about 1/4 the content in comparison.

and it's still an inexpensive blu-ray player that has dvr capabilities in eu and japan. not here of course, tivo will cry foul.

the hd format is no longer supported by any studio. there simply will be no more HD DVD's produced by them. on that point, sony wins.

the REALLY big named titles like grand theft auto and guitar hero are available on all three platforms, as will the upcoming final fantasy XIII.

i have all three systems (well, gave the wii to my mother). they have their strengths and weaknesses. if it wasnt for mass effect the 360 would have no real advantage over the ps3. however with a ps3 version of WoW, champions online and other mmorpg's in the works that system may or may not be given an advantage over the 360 especially when you consider you can just plug in a usb mouse and keyboard into the ps3. you can do no such thing on the 360. slight advantages, but advantages.

it's best if you dont belittle things like the sony store when it's pretty clear you have no first hand experience with it. the real difference is the sony store is free, and Live is not
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: No E3 thread?

Postby Sarvis » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:06 am

Teyaha wrote:sarvis, the playstaion store has been open since the day the machine launched.
i was downlaoding HD movie trailers and free games (tekken 4 in HD was a free download for months) when the system launched


Trailers are not movies. I'm jealous of Tekken 4 though!

I miss Tekken...

and i'm sorry but having b oth and playing both, resistance: fall of man > halo 3. halo 3 has about 1/4 the content in comparison.


Not a big FPS fan, haven't even played Halo 3.

the REALLY big named titles like grand theft auto and guitar hero are available on all three platforms, as will the upcoming final fantasy XIII.


Err... not all three for GTA or FFXIII. Don't think the Wii could even handle those!

And frankly, FFXIII going multiplatform is a huge loss for PS3. It really shows how poorly the system is doing, if you ask me.

i have all three systems (well, gave the wii to my mother). they have their strengths and weaknesses. if it wasnt for mass effect the 360 would have no real advantage over the ps3.


Ummm... you're kidding, right? Does PS3 even have a traditional RPG yet? The 360 has Blue Dragon and Lost Oddyssey, both of which involved people who made the earlier Final Fantasy games (remember back when they were good?)


it's best if you dont belittle things like the sony store when it's pretty clear you have no first hand experience with it. the real difference is the sony store is free, and Live is not


Actually Live is free. Silver membership anyway, which gets you move trailers and game demos. You can pay a rental fee to download full movies. You just need gold membership to play online multiplayer...

In any case, the Netflix deal will probably blow sony away on that front. I'll actually even renew my netflix membership!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests