My puppy almost died

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Thilindel
Sojourner

My puppy almost died

Postby Thilindel » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:31 pm

I just got a new house, where the backyard is a huge cornfield. I had my little beagle puppy in the back for about ten seconds when I went back in to get her food bowl, and when I came out, she was already on her back, lifeless. There's two puncture wounds on her back and top of her neck. One large puncture at the underside of her throat.

I'm just wondering what the hell can kill a puppy like that without making a sound. Damn. What worries me is I have an eight year old special needs son. Creepy having this crap right in my back yard. Anyway, I had to resuscitate the puppy. She wasn't breathing, her eyes were fully dilated. Hell, in the ER, that's basically dead. - I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Re: My puppy almost died

Postby Ragorn » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:13 pm

Snakebite.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:31 pm

Turns out she was bitten only once. It'd suffocated her. The top of the bite on the back part of her neck and between her shoulders was over three inches wide. I can't think of what animal has a dental configuration like that. What rules is since I had my stethoscope at home with me, I got to do CPR and she's at the vet now still, getting stitches in her mouth. The bottom tooth from this crazy bite was almost an inch. It went threw the top of her throat, and out her lips. So I learned to not leave my son outside playing until I get a fence up..
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:10 pm

Did the local vet have any idea what did it? He might have seen these kinds of bites before...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:10 pm

Hopefully it didn't ruin the flavor of the meat.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:23 pm

what gormal u looking to try out a new chinese food recipe?
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:32 pm

Korean.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:20 pm

At the edge of a cornfield my guess is that it was a racoon. They can be vicious bastards and I've seen them tear the hell out of a fully grown blood hound.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:32 am

Puppy was marking her territoy. Then the racoon marked HIS territory. Bitch.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:17 am

Whew, this is gonna be expensive. Now got a collapsed lung :/ discovered. Now I feel like setting a trap for whatever that thing was that attacked a four month old puppy of an eight year old boy :(
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:59 am

It could be a raccoon, but not with a three inch bitespan between incisors. Sounds more like a large stray dog. People dump their dogs out in the country and the burbs all the time, and some people have dogs in the country and just let them run free.

If it had been a snakebite the puncture wounds would have been small, not much more than pinpricks, and they wouldn't have been very deep. That's what got my Eili, and now she's hunting snakes in doggie heaven.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:28 pm

Obviously this was the work of a vampire.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:01 pm

A dogpire?
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:45 pm

dogs generally shake their victims and you would've heard them barking and growling.

I'm thinking a big cat (wild cat), but I don't know why it would've left its meal behind. Coons and skunks are nasty, but 3 inches is a pretty big mouth.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:36 pm

Chupacabra!
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:28 am

My best guess at the list of suspects in that part of the country with canine teeth consistant with the description of the bite wound would be a badger or a skunk.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:16 pm

It just about had to be a dog. I'd agree with Kiryan that it would be pretty unusual for the attack to be silent, but Thil also said he "went back in" so presumably he could have easily missed a quick little tussle. I can easily imagine a little puppy bouncing over to a random dog (stray or otherwise) and the mature dog freaking out but not attacking. It is also consistent with the size and shape of the bite wounds, as well as the location of the wounds on the neck. After the attack, the mature dog runs away because it wasn't being aggressive in the first place.

Look again at the picture, those are the puncture wounds of canine incisors. Not only are they about the only common animal to have spacing like that, but they are puncture wounds with no tears. Skunks have pretty small mouths, almost like a house cat. A badger is a possible suspect, but badgers are incredibly vicious (as in would have done much more damage) and not very likely at all to be close to a house like that.

One thing I would say for sure is that the puppy went to investigate and provoked something that would not have attacked otherwise. Not that it makes it anyone's fault, just that I would be reluctant to go around vigilante justice style. And I'm still honestly leaning towards vampire.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:39 am

I thought this was going to be a thread about failed masturbation.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:01 am

What does suck is the one pic that had the most detail was deleted or removed from photobucket, with them citing 'too graphic.' She's fully recouped tho *woot* $790 bucks later, I might add! :)
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:35 am

Since when are masturbation pics NSFW?!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Mechanical exclusion is my favorite type of exclusion! Fence it hard.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”