Boeing and the union

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kiryan
Sojourner

Boeing and the union

Postby kiryan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:11 pm

So Boeing has been undergoing a strike for the past few weeks. Machinst guild. If Boeing gets driven into the ground as a result (which I don't see happening), whose fault is it? If they are forced to concede to the union demands so they don't bankrupt the company, who wins and for how long?
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Re: Boeing and the union

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:29 pm

Unions were neccessary at one point i agree with that. But in todays day and age unions aren't what they used to be. They got greedy. Its no longer about trying to get a fair wage from the company its about gauging them for all that they are worth. The only good thing that i can say about unions is that it is a good way to ensure that all employees are treated equally. However the union workers that i have worked with have taken advantage of the fact that its almost impossible to get fired from a lot of jobs

I've worked on several union construction sights as a scab. this didnt go over so well but the one thing i heard the most was 'Nope that not part of my job go get a laborer/electrician/plumber/whatever.' Instead of doing something themselves they make a 5 min job into something that takes 30. I can understand if they are not qualified to do the job but it includes little things like securing a ladder that they put up or even, heaven forbid, they do this cleaning up after themselves.

Personally to me the union is something that is not neccessary anymore. With governments passing laws to better protect its workers and employers all over wanting to retain more quality employees, the only good thing that a union is for is for a mediocre worker to retain his job.

I dont know if its the same in hospital and government unions but from what i have heard they are so full of bullshit politics thats its not even funny.
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:59 pm

The chief executive of a Standard & Poor's 500 company made, on average, $14.2 million in total compensation in 2007, according to preliminary data from The Corporate Library.

Definitely target the unions. Have you guys ever read The Jungle?

Many psychologists believe this illogical behavior is due to some people truly believing they will someday be that CEO making 14.2 million and want to protect that option.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:46 pm

My school is right across the street from the Everett Boeing plant (largest building in the world by square feet btw). I got so sick and tired of those slackers waving their signs every time I drove by. Do they not realize that without Boeing they'd have absolutely no skill in the trade they're doing?

I'm in a union job myself but holding out that long for what they were asking for (11% salary + benefits increase) is ridiculous in this type of economy.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”