Worst Case scenario

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Kifle
Sojourner

Re: Worst Case scenario

Postby Kifle » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:08 pm

OMFG, Sarvis. You have no argument, seriously. I can't believe you've diluted yourself this far in this thread.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:33 am

sorry to hear that sarvis. take a break, changing how people think is an exercise in futility, so focus your efforts on moving on or healing. best of luck to you man
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:56 am

As long as the two of you feel the need to be different, unique and think that you can continuously make low percentage decisions and blame small minded society for keeping you down... you will continue to have it harder than it needs to be. Professionaly and socially.

Give up your retarded ideals and start making some high percentage decisions.

Dating an unbalanced chick, move on.
Taking a hole punch to your face, pass and get a haircut, shirt and tie instead.
Hear an idiot talking about politics/religion and getting it all wrong at work, move on.
Meeting that idiot later at a party with coworkers and others, don't talk politics/religion no matter what.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:01 am

I am going to jump on the bandwagon and agree with darned near everything that was said in this thread; appearances matter.

Kwirl and Sarvis,

There is a way to get around the bias of first impressions based upon visual cues, I just don't know that many people are smart enough to figure it out.

I face my own challenges in getting jobs/promotions. I am 5'7" tall and weigh 123 lbs (this morning). I am not going to waste the time to link the studies that have shown how height correlates to earnings, you'll find them if you want to read them.

How do I get around this unfair bias that is determined to make me the worst possible candidate? I apply online (so they can't see me picking up the application), I make damned sure that my grammar and spelling are absolutely perfect on the material I am sending back to the company, and I do a phone interview before agreeing to a face to face. You can make your knowledge, skills, and abilities evident in a phone interview before they ever see you; that is what you are looking for right?

Just be innovative about getting around the obstacles that your choices have put in your path. Hell, if a guy with no tattoos, piercings, or weird hair color can think of this why can't the people that have any or all of the aforementioned? The answer is that they don't care enough to try. They either feel beat down by the man and don't care about getting back up or they really just don't want to do anything worthwhile and would rather spend their time complaining rather than earning money. There are ways around every obstacle (even the self inflicted ones); without overcoming obstacles, we would never progress beyond what we have now.

Please don't try to argue about the inability to demand a preliminary phone interview; I'll only counter that if you can't make it work you are either:
1. Not motivated
2. Not creative
3. Not prepared (Meaning you didn't give enough attention to your resume or application)
4. Not qualified enough to catch their interest
5. Applying for a job for which you are over-qualified

Only you can do something for 1-4, and (this is an open offer to the entire community) I will help you develop ways to overcome those obstacles. When it comes to 5, I don't think appearances make any difference because by then the employer is just looking to get a body in the door and you are just looking for a way to feed yourself and/or your family (I've taken those jobs too; several of them at once).

I request, as a friend, that we stay away from arguing point by point (it gets long and I don't spend enough time here to answer all of them). If anybody wants to discuss or learn from what I've said, I am always willing to do so. I have always believed that the core of this game could, as an aggregate, make a lasting change on the world; we all just have to be confident and determined enough to do it. Look at the people who have made their lives successful: Corth, who once gave me legal advice by saying he wasn't qualified, but pointed me in the right direction; Avak, who is a liberal small business owner that does very well for himself; Ashiwi, who is working towards a goal of living completely self-reliant; Pril, who moved from Colorado to D.C. for a better opportunity.

Everybody here has strengths and weaknesses. The best advice I could give to anybody is to engage people and learn from them; it is the advice I give to my employees. Look at people in your workplace, your community, your friends, and find what works for you and what doesn't then apply it.

I apologize for the rambling post; I couldn't sleep :)
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Long time no see Vigis, its good to see you on again!
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:46 pm

Just saw this on digg and lol'd a lot.

Apple Employee Fired For Thinking Different

CUPERTINO, CA—Brent Barlow, 27, a software analyst and beta-tester at Apple Computer headquarters in Cupertino, was fired Monday for "thinking a little too different."

Among the floutings of convention cited in Barlow's Apple employee file: developing a pulley system to store his mountain bike above his workstation, listening to Bob Dylan on his headphones while testing software, and taking barefoot walks around the Apple campus to "feel more connected to the creative energy of others."

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29587
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:56 am

I feel you on the height thing. I wear nice boots and wear lifts to interviews. Its stupid, but the statistics on height and salary are worth noting.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:16 am

kiryan wrote:I feel you on the height thing. I wear nice boots and wear lifts to interviews. Its stupid, but the statistics on height and salary are worth noting.

Kir ya have a link to that? Was just curious for personal knowlede.
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:05 pm

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:39 pm

Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:09 pm

What a vortex of suck this thread is.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 pm

Ragorn wrote:What a vortex of suck this thread is.

I'd put my dick in it.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Kifle wrote:
Ragorn wrote:What a vortex of suck this thread is.

I'd put my dick in anything.

FTFY
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:36 pm

You guys better be careful. If shev ever comes back he will be displeased with this bawdy humor!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:14 pm

Corth what are you, 90? Who uses the word "bawdy" anyhow.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:55 pm

The last couple posts bumped this thread from amusing to awesome.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:08 am

Tasan wrote:Corth what are you, 90? Who uses the word "bawdy" anyhow.

Your rinky dink insults are pure malarkey. Don't be a fuddy duddy!

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:37 pm

Corth wrote:
Tasan wrote:Corth what are you, 90? Who uses the word "bawdy" anyhow.

Your rinky dink insults are pure malarkey. Don't be a fuddy duddy!

Stop being so cantankerous, you curmudgeon.
- Ragorn
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:17 am

Corth
Post subject: Re: Kiryan lays down the law
New postPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:20 am

Its been 16 years since I graduated high school. I didn't even know we were supposed to keep labeling people like that. :)

lol, in reference to calling people trendy conformists. (btw, not trying to flame or offend, just having a laugh at first impressions)
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:23 pm

The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:02 pm

omfg lol
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:17 pm

It's a good thing we can so easily tell to avoid these ruffians: http://jezebel.com/5126163/outlaw-bikers-rescue-orphaned-kittens
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:51 pm

You read Jezebel?
- Ragorn
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:57 pm

Nah, it was linked on Fark for Caturday.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”