Inagural party

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kiryan
Sojourner

Inagural party

Postby kiryan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:02 am

Ok so someone told me that Bush's inagural party cost like 70 million and he raised a lot from private donors. A bunch of left wingers had a f*king fit and were very vocal about how he was wasting money and should give it to starving penguins in the Bahamas. So from the same someone, Obama is apparently throwing a 140 million dollar party, yet I don't hear any left wingers bitching about starving strippers in Michigan.

Has anyone read anything about it? This is the best I could come up with and it only says 40 million for each of Bush's inagural parties. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... 5Jan7.html

I'm not willing to really research it, I'll just assume its true cuz it makes liberals look like hipocrites.

Oh and I think its absolutely f*king ridiculous that we waste any money on this shit Republican or Democrat... even if it is all private donations. Obama's new czar of government efficiency could put 140 million in her cap before day 1 if she was on the ball.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Re: Inagural party

Postby Ragorn » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:42 am

kiryan wrote:A bunch of left wingers had a f*king fit and were very vocal about how he was wasting money and should give it to starving penguins in the Bahamas.

If by "a bunch of left wingers," you mean about three bloggers and some guy on MSNBC, you're probably right. 2005 was like, the peak of our economy. I don't remember caring about how much Bush's inauguration cost.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:49 am

Ragorn wrote:
kiryan wrote:A bunch of left wingers had a f*king fit and were very vocal about how he was wasting money and should give it to starving penguins in the Bahamas.

If by "a bunch of left wingers," you mean about three bloggers and some guy on MSNBC, you're probably right. 2005 was like, the peak of our economy. I don't remember caring about how much Bush's inauguration cost.

I don't even remember _hearing_ about it...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:28 pm

Last night my roommate had a birthday party. We spent about 80 dollars on his party, but it was raised by private donors.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:09 pm

I don't remember the cost of Bush's party. Quite honestly, I don't know if I feel anything towards either.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:16 pm

my point was, who really cares. the money is already budgeted for this, and supplemented by their own fundraising, so who cares?
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm just gonna guess you mean the inauguration.

Where's that snarky 'let me google that for you' thing when you need it? You're not willing to research it, but you're willing to rant on the BBS? I guess that just reaffirms my suspicions about the depth of thought on some of your positions. I mean, no offense, but I googled 'cost of inauguration' and got all the relevant information without even clicking a link!

So, for starters, the cost estimates I have seen are around $50 million, but what gets counted is pretty ambiguous. Estimated attendance is ranging from half a million people to nobody even knows. So far, 42000 security forces are mobilized. I'd go out on a limb and say that it is entirely plausible that a huge chunk of the inaugural budget is security and transportation related. Maryland is estimating $12 million to guard the Obama's on the Amtrak ride.

Yeah, it is a massively expensive party. Like others have already pointed out, most of the money has been privately raised.

For comparison, it costs about 12-15 million to host a superbowl. That is the cost to the host city...not the venue.

Long gone are the days when Lincoln would personally greet constituents on the White House lawn and talk issues. Now, not only do literally millions of people want to witness this historic moment, but probably a frightening and appalling number wish them actual harm.

Anyway, nice faux outrage. I'll gladly trade this inauguration bill for one f-22 raptor priced at a reasonable $137 million.
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Well it costs more because it's Green. As my husband always says, organic just means more money. We don't want to leave a fingerprint. Or is it a footprint? But we've gotta let all the movie stars know that the plastic spoons were made with corn and the invitations on recycled paper so that they can fly in on their private jets.

Ah, I feel good about change!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:34 pm

Alta wrote:Well it costs more because it's Green. As my husband always says, organic just means more money. We don't want to leave a fingerprint. Or is it a footprint? But we've gotta let all the movie stars know that the plastic spoons were made with corn and the invitations on recycled paper so that they can fly in on their private jets.

Ah, I feel good about change!

Why do you hate America?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Alta wrote:As my husband always says, organic just means more money.

Why does this not surprise me? You guys don't go to rural America much, do you?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:19 am

fake outrage? no I'm pissed that we waste this kind of money on these kinds of parties... republican or democrat. I'm a little less pissed because Obama is our first black president, I can get behind celebrating this a little more. Theres lots of these stupid parties all over. And I'm the one who pointed out that there is supposedly a lot privately raised. There is no such thing as a free lunch though...

I didn't research it because I don't really care. I did a couple google searches and didn't come up with much, but i wasn't gonna crusade on this lol. I was just joking about believing it cuz it makes some left wingers look like hipocrites. I'm sure a bunch of liberals thought that Bush should spend the money differently, instead of having a big party, give free abortions in the USA. jk again kinda
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:49 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl204

150 million. In the middle of a recession/depression, fighting 2 wars and we throw the most expensive inagural party ever!1!!!!!11!! Where is the outrage?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:07 am

For the first time, President Bush has declared an emergency in Washington, D.C. to supplement the $15 million Congress has already allotted for security measures.

Sounds like it's Bush's fault to me!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:03 am

http://www.blogher.com/what-recession-m ... ys-history

this one quotes some of the media coverage from 2005 on Bush's 40 million dollar party.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:06 pm

kiryan wrote:Ok so someone told me that Bush's inagural party cost like 70 million and he raised a lot from private donors. A bunch of left wingers had a f*king fit and were very vocal about how he was wasting money and should give it to starving penguins in the Bahamas. So from the same someone, Obama is apparently throwing a 140 million dollar party, yet I don't hear any left wingers bitching about starving strippers in Michigan.

Has anyone read anything about it? This is the best I could come up with and it only says 40 million for each of Bush's inagural parties. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... 5Jan7.html

I'm not willing to really research it, I'll just assume its true cuz it makes liberals look like hipocrites.

Oh and I think its absolutely f*king ridiculous that we waste any money on this shit Republican or Democrat... even if it is all private donations. Obama's new czar of government efficiency could put 140 million in her cap before day 1 if she was on the ball.

Sorry Kiryan, but liberals being judged by far lower standards is not news or new.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”