LF a good book

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

LF a good book

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:41 am

alright so im looking for a new book/series of book to read, some things that i have liked in the past are the wheel of time series, sword of truth (although something less preacher would be nice), and stuff like 1984 and animal farm.

Pretty much open to any suggestions just looking for something new to read anyone reading anything worthwhile atm?
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Gormal
Sojourner

Re: LF a good book

Postby Gormal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:21 am

If you want fantasy, just pick up the George RR Martin Song of Ice and Fire series. WoT is for sissies.

Last few books I read were: Walden - Theorau, Portrait of an Artist - Joyce, Fugitives and Refugees - Palinuhk, and am finishing up Me Talk Pretty One day - Sedaris.

All of them were enjoyable.
alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:34 pm

david gemmel is decent (historical fiction/fantasy). (the series that starts with Legend was especially good)

i hate to say it but S. Meyers Twilight Series wasnt bad either.

if you can find them... Robert Aspirin's M.Y.T.H. series is funny and quick reading.
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:40 pm

Gormal wrote: Portrait of an Artist - Joyce

*SNIP*

All of them were enjoyable.

Wow. That explains so much...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:51 pm

For recommendations, Terry Pratchett is always a good read. There's also Neil Gaiman, though I've only read Good Omens (collaboration with Pratchett) and The Anansi Boys so far...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:25 pm

The Man who was Thursday - G. K. Chesterton (anything by Chesterton)
Stranger from a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein
The Complete Book of Swords (many in the series) - Fred Saberhagen (it's where Doombringer and other swords are from)
The Prydain Chronicles - forgot author
A good English or American book of poetry
alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:17 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:The Complete Book of Swords (many in the series) - Fred Saberhagen (it's where Doombringer and other swords are from)

very good... first fantasy books i ever read (that i wasnt forced)
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:22 pm

I've enjoyed Jonathan Lethem novels after a classmate threw the book at me. I finished the first one in a day... couldn't put it down. I believe it was called "as she climed across the table." The other one of his I read was, "gun, with occasional music." The second was different, but still good. If you liked 1984, and also like humor, Gun is a great book.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
razax
Sojourner

Postby razax » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:28 am

If you liked 1984 try - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_High_Castle - Philip K. Dick
Also cyberpunk - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_Carbon - Richard Morgan

- my 3 cents
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:29 pm

Altered Carbon is good, explores what happens if people can be resurrected with technology. What happens in a society where death is temporary?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:31 am

Glen Cook's series The Black Company or The Instrumentalities of the Night. (Campy but fun reads)

Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files.

Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea series.

Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

Dune and any of the others written by Frank Herbert, skip the ones his son wrote.

Those are the series I come back to when I'm in-between and looking for something new to read.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:05 pm

Stephanie Meyer's series is entertaining and you will have it done in less than a week. I'm glad a read it, but I think you are looking for something deeper. I don't think I've read anything like that since college.

One of my favorite books in the last few years was "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffengger. Some of the stuff they should have left out because it doesn't add to the story, but I found the book generally very interesting.

However, our taste in books may differ. While Kiryan and I both enjoyed the "Twilight" books and "Harry Potter", he does not enjoy Jane Austen as I do. And he reads some strange series about dragons that I just can't help but laugh at. Especially the one with the dolphins. Super gay!

Vena
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:08 pm

Tanji Smanji wrote:Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

Oops! That's the gay dragon series I was making fun of.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:30 pm

You mean this?

http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2008 ... ng-habits/

You guys NEED to check this link out, it's pure comedy gold.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:58 pm

Hey now! "Dragonflight," "Dragonquest," and "The White Dragon" were good reads. After that, she gets tired and monotonous. The one about the dolphins was a waste of my time. I did like "Dragonsong" and "Dragonsinger" but the third one in that series was annoying, too.

I was going to suggest some books, but since I'm a chick and he's not, it's doubtful we'd like the same writing styles.

I laughed my butt off at the Janet Evanovich stories, starting with "One for the Money," but I get the idea it's more of a girl-thing.

Actually, I just started rereading some of the stuff I read when I was younger, and I can't believe I actually liked some of that dreck. How in the world did I waste my time with that much Piers Anthony???
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:36 am

Yeah, some of the new ones are getting a bit....gay.....but the original series and the 2nd part to it were really well done. I tend to like books where the author really goes into detail about the world/ect the stories take place in.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”