Lets Talk Food

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Gormal
Sojourner

Lets Talk Food

Postby Gormal » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:11 am

So for the past few months I've been pretty obsessed with cooking new things and perfecting old recipes. I usually just blabber at Sotana, Ashiwi, and some others about it, but more of you have to enjoy actually doing more than hitting 'reheat' on your microwave. Personally, I'm quite limited as far as buying top quality fresh product, but I've found that the more I make an effort to cook something tasty rather than pick up a can of chilli, the happier I am. In the spirit of that, lets share and discuss!

Lately I can't get enough of eggs erroneous (my eggs benedict but really just without hollandaise).

Poached egg
Sourdough english muffin
1 Slice asagio cheese
Cayenne, pepper, and salt sprinkled on plate that gets soaked up as you swirl around the gooey goodness.

Its simply my favorite snack even if poaching eggs is a pain in the ass.

As for new stuff, I'm trying to think up a really good recipe for an italian fried rice. I love fried rice in general, but after playing with rice and some italian-seasoned chicken; i really think that this could work well. I'm thinking: white rice, sausage and/or chicken, diced tomatos, onions, garlic/spices, lightly fried in olive oil.
oteb
Sojourner

Re: Lets Talk Food

Postby oteb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:45 pm

Gormal wrote:As for new stuff, I'm trying to think up a really good recipe for an italian fried rice. I love fried rice in general, but after playing with rice and some italian-seasoned chicken; i really think that this could work well. I'm thinking: white rice, sausage and/or chicken, diced tomatos, onions, garlic/spices, lightly fried in olive oil.

200g of italian sausage
1/2 of onion
100g butter
300g rice
1glass of dry white wine
500ml of broth
salt pepper
50g of parmesan or grana cheese
1 deep frying pan:P

Chop sausage. Melt butter add onion and fry till golden. Add sausage and fry a bit more. Add rice and stir till rice gets translucent. Pour in wine and wait for it to evaporate. While stirring add as much broth as rice can soak. Just before serving spice with salt, pepper and grated cheese. Serve with white wine.
Enjoy
You group-say 'who is da red shape?'
A red shape group-says 'I'm a shape'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:57 pm

After the steak thread, I decided to go do some salt-encrusted sirloin as an experiment. It was ridiculously easy and tasted fantastic. Go grab a thick (1.5-2") steak, coat it with a little olive oil, rub some kosher salt and ground peppercorns into it on both sides. Get a skillet pan as hot as you can, sear each side of the steak for two minutes. Put in the broiler for 5 minutes on each side for medium rare, a little longer if you don't like your steak bleeding. Let sit for ten minutes, then attack with knife and fork.

If you have leftovers, put them in a freezer bag. Add equal parts worcestershire and soy sauce, sprinkle a little salt, grind a little pepper, throw in a dash of cayenne. Shake it up and let it sit overnight, rotating and flipping the steak so the liquid absorbs uniformly. The next day, you end up with a completely different flavor.

Takes 10 minutes to cook, costs $7 for a good quality sirloin, tastes very, very good.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:50 pm

5 minutes on each side in the broiler after searing it 2 minutes on each side? You sure thats right? Seems that would be a medium-well done steak. For the same thickness of steak I sear the same way, but then just put it in the oven at 500 degrees for 5 minutes for medium rare.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Simple winter soup. I usually make this (sometimes double recipe) for cold, miserable winter days like today. While deceptively simple, if you use the best ingredients you can get you will be really happy. Can be made as thin or thick as desired, depending on simmer times.

1 qt canned heirloom tomato
1 qt poultry stock or vegetable bouillon and water
1 diced red onion
4 - 6 cubed potato
a handful of chanterelle mushrooms (preferably re-hydrated)
dried sage to taste
dried basil to taste
salt and pepper

optional: diced carrot, chopped leek, kale, parsnip, etc
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:21 pm

oteb wrote:Shitty metric system

Now to convert this into real measurements!

Why the fuck can't America get in line with the majority of the world and go metric?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:24 pm

Corth wrote:5 minutes on each side in the broiler after searing it 2 minutes on each side? You sure thats right? Seems that would be a medium-well done steak. For the same thickness of steak I sear the same way, but then just put it in the oven at 500 degrees for 5 minutes for medium rare.

Maybe my broiler just sucks (which is entirely possible). First time I tried 3 minutes and it was still mooing. Five seems to be the magic number for me.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:20 pm

I just whipped up some burgers for lunch and am testing my broiler right now since I've never used it yet. I'm disconnecting my smoke alarm because I have such poor ventilation in here. I'm also really not looking forward to cleaning up the fucking mess.

Ended up ok but didnt get the nice char on the outside you get from a hot grill since you're cooking from the top. i put some tin foil in the pan to catch the grease but still have to scrub the top part of the pan ugh. Also had issues with the burgers trying to go all spherical on me. I will say that they did cook very evenly all the way through... which while sounds good isn't what i wanted. I like them a little pink on the inside like a steak.
Last edited by Gormal on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:33 pm

Honestly, for the steaks, I take the pan that I used to sear the steaks, douse it with water to cool the heat, and then use it to broil the steak. Half the cleanup, and because steaks are typically not greasy messes, you don't have to worry about the meat sitting in a pool of undesireable fat.

Burgers though, if you're going to broil them, you probably want the drainage.
- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:15 pm

Gormal wrote:I just whipped up some burgers for lunch and am testing my broiler right now since I've never used it yet. I'm disconnecting my smoke alarm because I have such poor ventilation in here. I'm also really not looking forward to cleaning up the fucking mess.

Ended up ok but didnt get the nice char on the outside you get from a hot grill since you're cooking from the top. i put some tin foil in the pan to catch the grease but still have to scrub the top part of the pan ugh. Also had issues with the burgers trying to go all spherical on me. I will say that they did cook very evenly all the way through... which while sounds good isn't what i wanted. I like them a little pink on the inside like a steak.

The spherical problem used to happen to me a lot until I started buying better quality meat. If you can, try to get ground sirloin if you don't have a butcher. I also smack the patties until they're about 1/8-1/4 in. thick to about the size of a regular paper plate. They usually come out extremely well shaped and to the size of about a slice of bread.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
oteb
Sojourner

Postby oteb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:43 pm

Gormal wrote:
oteb wrote:Shitty metric system

Now to convert this into real measurements!

Why the fuck can't America get in line with the majority of the world and go metric?

200g of italian sausage - 7 oz
1/2 of onion - still half
100g butter - 3.5 oz
300g rice - 10oz
1 glass of dry white wine - rather than glass use a cup or 1/3 of standard wine bottle.
500ml of broth- 2 cups
salt pepper
50g of parmesan or grana cheese 1.8 oz

Ya? Why the fuck can't you?
You group-say 'who is da red shape?'

A red shape group-says 'I'm a shape'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:27 am

Did the salt sirloin again tonight. Fuck, I could eat this every day.
- Ragorn
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:57 am

I used the leftover hamburger from lunch (seasoned) with some rice from last night and some corn to do a quick fry, it was good.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”