General discussion? Seems more like "Political Discussion"

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Lalsed
Sojourner

General discussion? Seems more like "Political Discussion"

Postby Lalsed » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:12 pm

Hey everybody, it's Lalsed. Most of you probably don't remember me, I still log in from time to time, and I visit the forums every so often to read some interesting things, etc.

Unfortunately, the "General Discussion" category of which I was so fond has degraded generally into political bickering, with some sides proposing logical arguments, and other sides not even know what an "argument" really is.

Basically, I'm sick of only seeing ridiculous political threads in the "General Discussion" category, and would love for whoever admins the forums to create a new category for political discussion, thanks. Let it be known I have no desire to get rid of constructive rational discourse, and love to see that there are places on the internet where this still happens (generally), but could we move it somewhere else?

Thanks

-Lalsed
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: General discussion? Seems more like "Political Discussion"

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:18 pm

Oh God... just do it. I frankly will NEVER understand why people can't get that "General Discussion" means talking about anything, but maybe we won't have to sit through this thread every other week if you just make them happy.

Not that it really matters, with half the posters ignoring the other half there's not much going on anymore anyway. Obama's retard slip is the only other thread being posted in today!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Lalsed
Sojourner

Postby Lalsed » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:31 pm

Sure general discussion means talking about anything, but my point is pragmatic, not semantic. It'd be more useful to have them split. Just like "Gameplay Discussion", although being included under "talking about anything" has it's own place.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:38 pm

Lalsed wrote:Sure general discussion means talking about anything, but my point is pragmatic, not semantic. It'd be more useful to have them split. Just like "Gameplay Discussion", although being included under "talking about anything" has it's own place.

It would be useful if there were more than 10 regular posters and the resulting volume of posts, however there aren't so you really just end up splitting the already small user base. It's kind of like having Good and Evil but not letting them group together actually...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:46 pm

At the moment, all the traffic in General is political because people aren't starting many non-political threads. It's just a discussion forum... if you want to talk about something, talk about it. If you don't want to read political threads, don't.

If we had 10 new threads being created every day and 6 of them were political, I could see creating a separate political forum. As it is now, there's not nearly enough traffic to bother.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:48 pm

Ragorn wrote:At the moment, all the traffic in General is political because people aren't starting many non-political threads. It's just a discussion forum... if you want to talk about something, talk about it. If you don't want to read political threads, don't.

If we had 10 new threads being created every day and 6 of them were political, I could see creating a separate political forum. As it is now, there's not nearly enough traffic to bother.

Exactly.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Lalsed
Sojourner

Postby Lalsed » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:00 pm

I'll agree with that, I suppose it's just somewhat disappointing for me to see. Some lost nostalgia or something.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:22 pm

You're not the only one who has similar disapointment... but the root of it is not the political threads.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:43 pm

Lalsed wrote:Basically, I'm sick of only seeing ridiculous political threads in the "General Discussion" category, and would love for whoever admins the forums to create a new category for political discussion, thanks.

Yes.
The horse isn't dead yet, Jim.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=21049

Then again, there's other more pressing forum & game-related stuff the admins prolly should be looking at and updating etc.
BEER
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:15 pm

It could be that we've just grown up a bit and are more concerned with politics and economics than fart jokes and getting drunk at a buddies house after school on Friday.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:23 pm

This cause for concern really mystifies me. It isn't very hard to sort through the modest number of posts on General Discussion. Don't read the political ones if you don't want to! It would appear to me that the front page of general discussion covers an entire month of posts. I mean, really? It's not like this is digg or reddit where if you don't read it every ten minutes stuff gets buried. The thread titles are usually pretty indicative of the content, so what is the problem?

Creating sub forums would accomplish:
1) the creation of more diverse threads?? (no.)
2) the ability for readers to avoid political discussions?? (omg how much work is it now?)
3) am I missing something?

That's not to mention the difficulty in keeping a "political discussion" sub-forum focused on political discussions. That would require actual work. How often do our threads move in and out of 'political' topics? What is 'political' anyway? Is talk of the stock market political or does it become political if you discuss government regulation? Is a discussion of hot black women 'political' once it includes Michelle Obama? What a waste of time to moderate something like that so that a handful of ocd folks can be spared the travesty of accidental exposure to a political discussion.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:44 pm

Avak 'handled' this thread.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:58 pm

avak wrote:This cause for concern really mystifies me. It isn't very hard to sort through the modest number of posts on General Discussion. Don't read the political ones if you don't want to! It would appear to me that the front page of general discussion covers an entire month of posts. I mean, really? It's not like this is digg or reddit where if you don't read it every ten minutes stuff gets buried. The thread titles are usually pretty indicative of the content, so what is the problem?

Creating sub forums would accomplish:
1) the creation of more diverse threads?? (no.)
2) the ability for readers to avoid political discussions?? (omg how much work is it now?)
3) am I missing something?

That's not to mention the difficulty in keeping a "political discussion" sub-forum focused on political discussions. That would require actual work. How often do our threads move in and out of 'political' topics? What is 'political' anyway? Is talk of the stock market political or does it become political if you discuss government regulation? Is a discussion of hot black women 'political' once it includes Michelle Obama? What a waste of time to moderate something like that so that a handful of ocd folks can be spared the travesty of accidental exposure to a political discussion.

Avak,

I will go ahead and answer your question. A thread can be fully dubbed political once it encompasses three (3) or more of the following elements:

1) Presidents
2) Economic Policies of the US and foreign nations
3) Unfulfilled Promises (to include any fo the following)
a) Bikinis
b) Thongs
c) Tramp Stamps
d) 6) The ability to use Corth or any other lawyer as bait.
e) Toril 2.0 Campaign Promises.
4) The ability of Kiryan to keep Vena in check and lay down the law (Travel and Raising the next generation of world leaders).
5) Strippers (See economies of the world and what people are now doing for money)
6) Maxler Bilding Compewters. (Also see economies of the world and what people are now doing for money)
7) Animal Rights and what the powers of the world are doing to save species from extinction.
8) Olympics and their effect on world peace.
9) The earning potential of those who are education the next generation of politicians.
10) The effects of todays economy on movie goers and the ability of movies about politics such as Watchmen to influence foreign policy.
11) Open line of communications and the inability of foreign countries to Ignore each other.

Did I miss any main points?
Last edited by Pril on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:18 pm

Pril wrote:8) Olympics and their effect on world peace.

Does that include Special Olympics?

Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:23 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Pril wrote:8) Olympics and their effect on world peace.

Does that include Special Olympics?

The special Olymics thread had the following elements:
1) Olympics
2) The President
3) Open line of communications (since you posted in there and people have you on their ignore list)

I would dub this thread Political.
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:37 pm

Pril wrote:
a) Bikinis
b) Thongs
c) Tramp Stamps
5) Strippers

A sub-forum for all of the above please. With TTIUWP enforcement.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:13 am

Omg we have a political and heated debate discussion forum.

ABOUT FU**IN TIME.
BEER
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:13 pm

Of course the liberals want

oh my bad this isn't a political thread.

I agree with Ragorn and Avak's posts.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:42 pm

You have a forum. Go post in it.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Posting seems to still be disabled there. I'm sure its an oversight.

Or Dug is trolling the shit out of you guys.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:43 pm

It is fixed.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”