Fixing roads 4 million or 8 days and some motivated people

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kiryan
Sojourner

Fixing roads 4 million or 8 days and some motivated people

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:08 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/09/hawaii ... index.html

Summary, bridge washed out in Hawaii to a state park so they closed it. Their estimate to fix it was 4 million dollars and they had waited a year already. Instead of waiting around for the government to get it done, the locals whose community depends on that bridge, rebuilt it in 8 days.

Now the next story will be that it didn't meet code so the state ripped it out or that 4 million was to build a much better bridge and now it won't get built. The real story is how much time and money our governments waste instead of getting the job done quickly, cheaply and efficiently.
Dalar
Sojourner

Re: Fixing roads 4 million or 8 days and some motivated people

Postby Dalar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:52 am

I laughed when I saw the actual bridge. 4 million for something like that? Who the hell are the estimators working for our government?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:12 am

The real question is:

Where can I sign my new construction company up for that job?!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:14 pm

I'm sure the government was planning a much more elaborate, environmentally friendly, safer, (insert expensive adjective here) bridge. At least I hope to god they were.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:05 am

I'm sure the environmental impact assessment would have set them back at least $225k.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:45 pm

yea and now that Obama rolled back Bush's order allowing the EPA discretion to decide whether an environmental impact study was needed on a particular project (rather than requiring them on all projects), it will definitely cost at least 225k.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:39 pm

When there is actually any fact behind your assertions, give me a call :P

Until then, you're just building this bridge out of straw(men).
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:39 pm

you want proof of what? proof that obama overturned bush's ruling? proof that environmental studies cost a small fortune or proof that a bunch of ignorant hawaiians built a bridge?

nevermind, instead go on and ignore it if you want just because no one will write an academic paper citing a bunch of sources so it can be proven to you.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:43 pm

kiryan wrote:you want proof of what? proof that obama overturned bush's ruling? proof that environmental studies cost a small fortune or proof that a bunch of ignorant hawaiians built a bridge?

nevermind, instead go on and ignore it if you want just because no one will write an academic paper citing a bunch of sources so it can be proven to you.

You're right, it's so much more fun to judge things based on hearsay and misleading information.

EDIT: I'd also note that the value of resources and labor that were donated by these guys is not stated. I mean, that could be important if you weren't dead set on creating the impression that the government was being wasteful. I mean, I'm sure the government would have spent more (what with having to pay companies seeking a profit to repair the bridge and all) but not giving all the information makes this seem deceptive to me.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:49 pm

Sarvis wrote:
kiryan wrote:you want proof of what? proof that obama overturned bush's ruling? proof that environmental studies cost a small fortune or proof that a bunch of ignorant hawaiians built a bridge?

You're right, it's so much more fun to judge things based on hearsay and misleading information.

No, it seems that you enjoy criticizing without doing any research, not citing any facts to counter the argument presented, and talking about what you know nothing about.

Simple, simple steps to verify the truth: search the news, contact an environmental consulting group to see how much an environmental impact assessment of a vehicle traffic bridge over a flood path will cost in a state park (double it for hawaii, or don't, it'll still be a large figure). If you're too embarassed to tell them why you want to know, just say you're a student writing a report.

Or, just use your imagination. Look at similar repair projects and view the bugets that are publically available. Ask your city councilman.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:57 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Sarvis wrote:

No, it seems that you enjoy criticizing without doing any research, not citing any facts to counter the argument presented, and talking about what you know nothing about.

Simple, simple steps to verify the truth: search the news, contact an environmental consulting group to see how much an environmental impact assessment of a vehicle traffic bridge over a flood path will cost in a state park (double it for hawaii, or don't, it'll still be a large figure). If you're too embarassed to tell them why you want to know, just say you're a student writing a report.

Or, just use your imagination. Look at similar repair projects and view the bugets that are publically available. Ask your city councilman.

Yes, I keep forgetting we're supposed to do your research for you! I hear Thomas Jefferson kept asking George III for tips while writing the Declaration of Independence!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:14 pm

1. Government declined to spend $4 million building a bridge.
2. People built the bridge themselves.
3. Super awesome good job!

What are you complaining about, exactly?

Now the next story will be that it didn't meet code so the state ripped it out

Nobody said anything about ripping the bridge out. You just said that so you'd be able to turn this into a rant about the government.

that 4 million was to build a much better bridge and now it won't get built.

Did anybody actually say that or did you make that up too?

I'm sure the government was planning a much more elaborate, environmentally friendly, safer, (insert expensive adjective here) bridge. At least I hope to god they were.

Do you know what the original plans looked like, or are you just bitching for the sake of bitching?

What exactly is your problem with this bridge thing? You're launching off into a rant about everything from Obama to the cost of environmental impact studies to people ripping the bridge out... except none of that actually happened in the article you quoted. Some people built a fucking bridge, hooray for them, end of story.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”