Gay Marriage

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Gay Marriage

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:24 pm

This is just kind of funny.

2008 - We're protecting the sanctity of marriage!

2009 - We'd rather see no one get married than see gays get married!

Judges may increasingly choose to avoid conducting weddings as a way to avoid possible political consequences when up for re-election, said Goldford, the political science professor. It means that all Iowans - including opposite-sex couples - may find it more difficult to find somebody to legally perform marriages for them outside of a church setting, he said. - http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090423/NEWS10/904230387
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby Ragorn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Well, the conservatives were finally right... gay marriage DOES have an effect on heterosexual marriage. Except... uh... it's the conservatives who are making that happen, not teh gheys.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:53 pm

The article also said this:

"County recorders do not have the option to refrain from marriage duties. Recorders, by law, have no discretion about performing their legal duties, including the issuance or denial of marriage licenses. The Iowa attorney general has advised recorders that failure to issue the licenses could result in proceedings to remove the person from office."

"He doubts there will be many couples, either gay or straight, who will encounter difficulties in finding someone to perform a civil marriage.

"Marriages in Iowa may be solemnized by a judge, an ordained person or designated official of a person's religious faith."

Shock headline fail.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:58 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:Shock headline fail.

Only if you're dead set on bashing "teh evul librals." If not, you'd see the humor in the situation.

Just sayin.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:57 pm

TTIUWLP
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:05 pm

After just seeing the topic, I . . .

HATED IT

No two snaps up :(
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Sarvis wrote:This is just kind of funny.

2008 - We're protecting the sanctity of marriage!

2009 - We'd rather see no one get married than see gays get married!

There's no contradiction here, even if the two things were actually said by the same entity (which, I doubt it was, and I'm pretty sure you're just putting words into people's mouths by implying that they came from the same entity). What is it that you find so funny?
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Sun May 03, 2009 7:06 pm

I wonder what percent of same sex marriages are officiated by 'amateurs' so to speak. I have officiated three weddings by way of the infamous online ordination. I really love doing it because hardly anyone I know wants some religious browbeating ceremony these days. The ordination literally took me 15 minutes. Making sure the paperwork was all lined up and legitimate took a few days, but was not that complicated.

I doubt many same sex couples are getting married in churches, so the weddings must be happening in courthouses or private ceremonies. Anyway, all that would just lead me to the conclusion of 'who cares' when it comes to activist judges and gay marriage. But then again, maybe couples want that added security of knowing a judge performed the ceremony.

I think conservatives should concede the gay marriage thing and work on other social issues
like a drug war
or evolution
or prayer in school
or abortion
or protecting the death penalty.

Wow, I kind of think social conservatives suck.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

My wedding was officiated by an internet minister. We wrote the ceremony ourselves and removed all instances of god and religion.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon May 04, 2009 2:07 am

Ragorn,

A lot of people would say that our obscene divorce rate is a result of moving away from those traditional values you eschew.

I know its not quite that simple.. but the door was opened there...

I don't often agree with the social conservatives on policy issues, but I think often that the traditional values represented by them are too easily dismissed. If these values were encouraged more often (rather than legislated), it would be a net positive for society. You know.. drugs, divorce, abortion, out of wedlock children etc.. these aren't exactly good things.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 04, 2009 3:05 am

Corth wrote:Ragorn,

A lot of people would say that our obscene divorce rate is a result of moving away from those traditional values you eschew.

You don't have to eschew values to eschew religion.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon May 04, 2009 3:12 am

Corth wrote:You know.. drugs, divorce, abortion, out of wedlock children etc.. these aren't exactly good things.

So abortion isn't a good thing if a crack whore is on her 12th kid? Divorce isn't good if the father is physically or sexually abusive? I could go on. These things are not inherently bad; they are bad because you find them bad. They are all based upon personal value and judgement.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon May 04, 2009 3:16 am

Oh I agree that abortion and divorce are good things in those examples.

Extreme generalities. We don't want people addicted to drugs. We don't want marriages to fail. We don't want people to use abortion as just another form of birth control. We don't want kids being raised without a mother and father.

But yeah, if you and your spouse cannot bare to be around each other (or are violent, etc) then you should get divorced. If you are a 12 year old crack whore, I'll pay for your taxi ride to the abortion clinic. If you're hooked on heroin I'd prefer you get it cheaply and legally from a pharmacy instead of from some gang member. Etc. Etc.

As to the topic on the title of the thread - for the life of me I cannot understand why gay marriage isn't protected by the equal protection clause of the constitution. If its not consistent with your values, you don't have to personally recognize it as such, but on a legal level gay marriages should be recognized by the state.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 04, 2009 3:46 am

I know its not quite that simple.. but the door was opened there...

I don't often agree with the social conservatives on policy issues, but I think often that the traditional values represented by them are too easily dismissed. If these values were encouraged more often (rather than legislated), it would be a net positive for society. You know.. drugs, divorce, abortion, out of wedlock children etc.. these aren't exactly good things.

Also, I might posit that the divorce rate stems FROM traditional values making people feel that they have to be married and therefore rushing into marriage with the wrong person.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon May 04, 2009 10:21 am

Interesting. I said I took god out of my marriage ceremony, and you immediately started making statements about morality. Why is that, Corth? Do you believe, for some reason, that Christianity and morality are in any way related?

Do you even want to try to assert causality there? :)
- Ragorn
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon May 04, 2009 12:34 pm

No, I really don't want to get into a debate on this subject. I'll let my post stand on its own.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 04, 2009 1:37 pm

Corth wrote:No, I really don't want to get into a debate on this subject. I'll let my post stand on its own.

Stand? Or cower meekly in the corner? ;)

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon May 04, 2009 1:59 pm

No, I really don't want to get into a debate on this subject. I'll let my post stand on its own.

Your statement is absolutely correct... a lot of people would attempt to make that claim :)
- Ragorn
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon May 04, 2009 2:39 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Corth wrote:No, I really don't want to get into a debate on this subject. I'll let my post stand on its own.

Stand? Or cower meekly in the corner? ;)

Bite me :)

Goddamned slippery mage.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”