Remembering 1994-1996.

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Jerthal
Sojourner

Remembering 1994-1996.

Postby Jerthal » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:50 am

3 west of fountain:

Seeing some of the names here really takes me back. (Adriorn, you are eternal.) I still talk with Berc and Tenen every day. Lim and Avarion to a lesser extent. I'm really interested in any news on the names I can remember, like some of the other early Sigil posse, such as:

Reyal, Sjesko, Menoch, Lothair/Kurz, Songoku, and Mytyzle.

And then there were some of the other early Sojourn personalities, like Calib and Slaag. Anyone remember them? Slaag was hilarious, and one of the few people who was truly fitting as a barbarian warrior. Calib was a great early leader. He never got much recognition, but I'm not sure that he wanted any. Calib, Songoku, and I cornered the cloak of shadows market and made an early killing. What was the name of that zone? It was the Arabian one with all the thieves and secret rooms--I loved that place. Oh, and that headbutting berserker Thrakazog.

Tavon, Yeimer, Lloric, Averyn...

Oh, and the the LoC guys who were winding down as we were firing up. Brunthar, Serro, Garosh, and Wug/Jux. Serro was probably the best mudder that I encountered on Sojourn, and definitely the best at "creative use of game mechanics." (Githyanki sword, oh how you still bring a tear to my eye.) And Brunthar, who came out of retirement to join us for the Dragonnia wipe. (I see that he posted on here once in 2005, but not since.) Wug/Jux ultimately ended my time at Sojourn by introducing me to MPV, a PK mud that really captured my attention. Later Arctic, which was Serro's mud.

Even the Eye guys, without whom the game wouldn't have been as fun: Deidrit, Crynus, Draaz, Mikayla, Dolaf, Yrbie, and even that whiny Tien. ;)

Oh, and some of the imms like Deneir (nicest imm ever) and Talos (Jotunheim is still my favorite zone on any MUD).

Even Lloth and Mystra--time heals all wounds. Shortly after I wrote Skerttd, I had quite the falling out with Mystra over something trivial--they were real sticklers about rules and I had a real problem with authority. I had an immortal for about a month at that time, picking the name Ilsensine, and one day I approved a mortal name that Mystra didn't care for, and at the height of my irritation, Wug showed me MPV and that was that. I still have a log of that unfortunate affair. (On a side note, I used that immortal name my subsequent muds because I thought it looked cool, and it really stick over the years, as evidenced by my email address.)

I noticed someone bringing up the Dragonnia wipe in an archived thread--maybe it's not too aggrandizing to refer to that incident as infamous. I didn't think that anyone who was there would still be around--poke Raiwen, but I guess it probably was one of the biggest EQ losses in the history of Sojourn. Because some of the facts were incorrect in the other thread, it went like this:

It was Jan 13th, 1996, according to my log. Rather than just doing the zone cold and carefully like we should have, we got Brunthar, the only person I knew of who had led it, out of retirement to come along. There was some confusion about whether or not we needed to be globed for one section, and instead of just being prudent, we rushed in, as per usual. Sadly, we didn't adapt fast enough and wiped. In the meantime, the zone's blocker mob, pretty tough in his own right, respawned, and it was late at night so there weren't many people to help kill it. We all got our alts and tried repeatedly to no avail. Meanwhile, the corpses decayed, so we were getting desperate, worrying about a crash. Several people who weren't involved in the initial incident tried to help, but we just didn't have the firepower to get back in, and several people gave up or were forced to log due to real life commitments. Many hours later, Enth and a few others logged in, and some others got pulled out of retirement like Wug and Sao, and we were just heading back for a real try, when the MUD fatefully crashed, taking all those sweet treasures with it. I knew that Enth and some others had recently been given a huge reimbursement by Deneir when they lost gear in a crash, so I decided to stay up and wait for him to log in. Sadly, Lloth was the first real imm to login, and I argued with him at length, but he simply wouldn't budge. My main complaint was that we would have gotten back in eventually if not for the crash, but he said Deneir's reimb was a mistake that wouldn't be repeated--case closed. (If anyone is interested, I still have the log of our conversation.)

I just looked through my old logs folder to see if there was anything that might interest people here, but the only stuff that I bothered to log was the arguments and other esoteric minutia that most people wouldn't be interested in, like guild files, Skerttd files, and squabbles, like the time Tien got me caged because I jokingly picked up his weapon when he got disarmed, and didn't give it back right away, and fights with my girlfriend Mahal who started playing after she saw me playing one day, leading to all sorts of uncomfortable moments. Oh, and one of the many times Slaag got several of us caged because he was hilariously insolent toward the admins. I wish I had logs of some of our antics in Cave City, especially an 8 hour CR that I had to call in sick to finish. And an all-night Jot CR using that elvenkind sneak cloak. I also wish that I had logs of the first time we did Brass and our first run of Jotunheim, hours after it was put in. And, of course, Tiamat, Dragonnnia, the cloak of shadows zone, etc. (I'm tempted to try and see those zones again, but maybe some things are better left as memories.) If anyone has such logs from that period, then I'd like to see them. So many great logging opportunities that I missed because I simply didn't think about it.

Anyway, if anyone that I've mentioned here or anyone that I've forgotten stumbles across this in the next month, year, or decade, then please send me an email at: ilsensine@gmail.com

There is something pure about text-based games when compared to all the other games that have followed, and I'd like to think that it's more than just nostalgia. I'd like to thank the current admins for keeping the mud and this forum alive, and I hope you continue to do so for some time.

Best of luck,

Jerthal - Crimson Sigil (Tyrel/Ilsensine/Drakkoth/Paul)
Last edited by Jerthal on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Re: Remembering 1994-1996.

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:50 am

What type of stimulants were you on, Jerthal, when you wrote that? :) Yeah, I'm still teaching, going on year 12. Still love it.

I don't remember any CS guy still playing sadly. Dlur was the only other one on I remember, and he's been busy with RL for awhile, although he still passes by. He's really the only CSer I keep in touch with.

Sjesko vanished from one day to the next, literally. Really missed him.

Mytzle passed away after Katrina hit NO, I'm sad to say. Mytzweave will be eternal however.

I know some people still keep in touch with Kurz, Averyn and Tessaire. I still echo the Berc jerking line every so often. Eye people, same thing; don't see any on that I remember. Mikayla played up until like a year ago, as did Yrbie, though not as much. LoC I see Modu every couple of months log on and we chat, but he doesn't really play.

Those years between 1993-1996 were great, I miss alot of the old crew from back then. You'd be surprised though at how many old names still play that you didn't mention. Liran, Dala, some evils, etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Man I really thought it was a cat, damn.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:31 pm

I played WoW with Dolaf for a while, back before the first expansion. He did a pretty good job of demolishing that game too, holding a high PvP rank and playing his Mage very well.

And yeah, Deneir was the best. He was a big reason I came back in '99 after getting sitebanned in '97.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:48 am

Cool stuff. Was just slightly before my time, but I remember a lot of those names. I can remember when Eye and CS were active guilds and there were 150+ people on at all times. I remember all the mages relocating to mobs at reboots, racing to the jot tree, etc. Those were different times for sure. The MUD has changed a lot since then, in some ways for the better imo. Some other names I recall from around the same period are Dizahk, Plutic, Jansha, Innova, Kanthas, Rhu (conjurer i think?), and Mplor!
Lorendel Ebonmist
Sojourner

Postby Lorendel Ebonmist » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:01 am

Im not that Old oldskool, I started playing in late 95ish. I only got Lorendel up to 35th or so before the pwipe.
I did keep alot of old info from back then, (Old Town Crier issues).
This link will take you mention of some old names:

http://www.torilmud.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19561

Im in the midst of editting this post, so plz forgive any mistakes. I never had the oppurtunity to zone back then, but got alot help from alot of Great People.

I'd say in the last year or so and fair number of old players have left their other games behind and returned to their home, in some way or another. Unfortunately, I lost alot of old logs from waay back. Betandor was the very first person I met upon the discovery of the mud, he suggested I roll and elf or halfelf and hometown in Leuth, cause "thats where the action was", and indeed cc was my place, my home for everafter...as a budding Ranger in a new vast world, I had many mentors throughout these some 13 years: Trener(Mirn), Lithius, Weylarri, Lorsalian, Adriorn just to name a few...

Thanks to all you guys that were around, are around and will be around again...you Vanguards and Pathfinders, you Keeper's of Wisdom and Advice have made being part of Toril one of my most loved aspects of this life....Thank You and Thank Everybody who in whatever way or style they have or do play in this Milieu that we have come to love, for making it enriched with LIFE and ADVENTURE.....take a fricken bow ALL ye players and Gods of Toril!

Addendum: Here's another link I found to some nostalgic times...written/posted by the Ancient Gaming NoOb:

http://tagn.wordpress.com/2008/10/24/15-years-of-torilmud/
Zouve
Sojourner

Postby Zouve » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:03 am

I have actually been doing a goofy, nostalgic series of posts on my blog about Sojourn/TorilMUD if you are interested. They tend to be rather newts eye views of things that went on over the years.

They all fall under the same Wordpress.com tag:

http://en.wordpress.com/tag/torilmud/

Zouve Telcontar
15 years since I first entered the Faerun, still lost
Lorendel Ebonmist
Sojourner

Postby Lorendel Ebonmist » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:20 am

Been laughing for an hour....

[url]You GCC: 'http://tagn.wordpress.com/2008/12/05/rhymes-from-the-spirit-raven/'
[/url]

Lorendel wipes the tears from his eyes.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:28 am

Too many cool memories from way back then.

Mams

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”