Dragon Age: Origins

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Anyone else playing? I just picked it up last night, and ended up playing until 3:30am. :(

So far the only thing that's really annoyed me is the inability to pick origin stories. If you're a human rogue, you were a noble and that's all there is to it. I had hoped for a few options for each build... oh well.

The combat is pretty much NWN style, but a bit faster paced and more dynamic. It works out fairly well, but I still get annoyed (or killed) by crappy party AI. I've only had mages in my party for like 2 sections so far, and have already eaten like 5 fireballs to the face from them. :( Plus sometimes when you notice enemies ahead, your party just stands there like idiots and you have to run in to engage. Probably not a big deal for fighters, but I'm a rogue dammit!

Overall it still seems pretty fun, but we'll have to see how it goes I guess.
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Callarduran » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:16 pm

Haven't picked this one up yet, but I'm planning to within the next week or so. That, and Demons Souls. Good to hear that so far it is as addicting as it looks.
--There needs to be a word for the irrational desire to reason with the delusional.

Oghma OOC: 'Please use me.'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:59 pm

I saw it played last night, and I'm looking to go get it today and waste what's left of my weekend. Not sure yet though. I was hoping it would be more like oblivion or other action rpgs as far as the combat system goes. I can't see NWN style of combat to work favorably for the 360 platform, so I may go with the pc version.
bawog
Sojourner

Postby bawog » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:46 pm

Being one that picked it up I'd say that its a pretty good game. The storyline to the rpg is good, voice overs are great graphics and gameplay is smooth, only downfall in my opinion is the controls for the 360 could use a little work. Hell it even pulled me away from wow for the weekend!

Nerox
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:44 pm

Pick up the PC version... the 360 reviews have been universally terrible.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:50 pm

Sure, NOW you tell me...

I haven't really had any problems with the 360 version though. There are a few times where I can see where better mouse control would be helpful. *shrug*
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:24 pm

Always buy PC over console.

There, I told you.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:57 am

Dalar wrote:Always buy PC over console.

There, I told you.

^^

Yeah, I got the PC version on Sunday and stayed up way too late playing it... as I have obviously done again tonight. I'm not sure I like the combat system quite yet. I guess it's not the system, but more how the fights are geared, per se. I think I just need a dedicated healer in the group.
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:01 am

I've played through DA:O a few times now, and definitely had a blast with it. Still have a ton to do in the game, and it just doesn't get old.

That being said, I've been playing Demon's Souls the past few days. It's a beautifully brutal game. Right now I'm trying to work out if I can take down the red dragon in the 2nd stage with my mage character.
--There needs to be a word for the irrational desire to reason with the delusional.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:16 am

The ending of DA:O made me want to stab my asshole with a rusty spoon. It was really that bad.
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Wow. You screwed up that badly? :)

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Lol, no, but a but 10 second cutscene and a few snippets of text with random background images that I have to click through is just bad. Very bad. I wonder if they were trying their hardest to make a worse ending than KOTR II.
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:19 pm

shrug remember when game endings used to be 'Congratulatoins!' *scrolling credits*
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:33 am

I also remember when Tron was cutting edge visual effects in movies... doesn't mean I want more movies to look like tron -- or would pay money to see them in a theatre for that matter.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:35 am

tron 2.0 or something is coming out that should be kewl!
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Dragon Age Origins is a sequel to Mass Effect 3, which I didn't realize until someone pointed it out. From spaceships to dragons, go figure

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”