Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQ

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
avak
Sojourner

Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQ

Postby avak » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Alternate Headline: Flag-waving, nascar-loving, god-fearing white trash really are fn stupid.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/26/liberals.atheists.sex.intelligence/index.html?hpt=C2

I -know- this does not apply to anyone here...
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Re: Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQ

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:16 pm

BTW, WTF is male sexual exclusivity? Is it just a fancy way to say monogamy? Or is there something else to it? Thanks.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:55 pm

I'd say monogamy is a fancy way of saying sexual exclusivity, but whatever. Aren't you a teacher?
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:44 pm

An interesting study, though of course there are any number of questions I have about it. Including where I fit, as a Liberal Christian. :)

What I find interesting is the link between the higher the IQ, the more chance there is of monogamy. I'm sure my wife will agree that I'm very smart for not cheating on her...though that would go more towards the argument of it actually being an evolutionary model, as she would kill me if I ever did.
--There needs to be a word for the irrational desire to reason with the delusional.

Oghma OOC: 'Please use me.'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:48 am

The study takes the American view of liberal vs. conservative. It defines "liberal" in terms of concern for genetically nonrelated people and support for private resources that help those people. It does not look at other factors that play into American political beliefs, such as abortion, gun control and gay rights.

"Liberals are more likely to be concerned about total strangers; conservatives are likely to be concerned with people they associate with," he said.

The hell? Also, religious people are more likely to donate money to secular charities than atheists.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:56 am

I asked the question originally because I wasn't sure if in included something else that the term monogamy didn't. I wasn't expecting this:

avak wrote:Aren't you a teacher?

I teach Spanish, ace, where the idea of 'exclusividad sexual masculina' does not exist.

Monogamy is the word that has always been used to describe sex with one partner, in English and in Spanish. I had never come across the term 'male sexual exclusivity' (3 words) before. Monogamy (one word) seems a more practical term. The gamus suffix means marriage in Greek, so maybe this new 3-word term was created to include married or single in its definition.

I'm guessing, though, that they just tried to be fancy PC and failed. Here's a quick lesson in semantics chief:

Male sexual exclusivity: sex is something exclusive to males
Male sexual exclusivity: male sex is the most exclusive form of sex
Male sexual exclusivity: male sex that excludes
Male sexual exclusivity: the way they try to use it

Monogamy: sex with one partner (animals or humans, since it has long since lost its original marital-only definition)

Which one is fancy, and which one is practical? Which one can be more easily understood?

Next time, a simple answer on your part would probably be better.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:44 pm

I assumed "male sexual exclusivity" meant homosexuality.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”