Lost Finale

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Lost Finale

Postby Ragorn » Mon May 24, 2010 2:34 pm

The end of popular, long-running shows are a clear referendum on Obama's economic policies.

You guys can catch me on Facebook, I don't read the BBS anymore.
Corth
Sojourner

Re: Lost Finale

Postby Corth » Mon May 24, 2010 3:38 pm

Hey Rags. Yeah I don't think there are very many people reading the BBS anymore. Or playing the mud for the matter.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Maybe that's because the first thing you see when you log in these days is Corth! ;)

Also couldn't figure out how to set my alignment while drunk...
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon May 24, 2010 5:57 pm

Damn.. and I thought it was the immort's fault all this time. :)
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon May 24, 2010 6:24 pm

I don't read the forums anymore because it's nothing but politics.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 24, 2010 6:51 pm

Corth wrote:Damn.. and I thought it was the immort's fault all this time. :)

I'd blame technology and the advancement of games in general. The old players are of course going to get bored... yeah, Toril was and probably still is a great game. But there's WoW now, and awesome games like Red Dead Redemption and a thousand WWII FPS games to keep new players from coming in. Not to mention the whole "having a life" thing.

MUDs are pretty much doomed...
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 24, 2010 6:51 pm

Yayaril wrote:I don't read the forums anymore because it's nothing but politics.

Hey, I offered to update everyone on my personal life but there were no takers!

And, of course, you could always post something non-political!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon May 24, 2010 6:56 pm

Sarvis wrote:

I'd blame technology and the advancement of games in general. The old players are of course going to get bored... yeah, Toril was and probably still is a great game. But there's WoW now, and awesome games like Red Dead Redemption and a thousand WWII FPS games to keep new players from coming in. Not to mention the whole "having a life" thing.

There are several muds that still have active pbases in the hundreds. Just saying..
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 24, 2010 7:27 pm

Corth wrote:
Sarvis wrote:

There are several muds that still have active pbases in the hundreds. Just saying..

True, and they probably used to have pbases in the thousands... and those few muds may represent the majority of the mud community these days.

I mean, you can find free graphical mmos all over the place these days.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon May 24, 2010 7:39 pm

Posting in a Ragorn thread for posterity.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Mon May 24, 2010 9:15 pm

Fabulous, excellent finale. The best TV series I have ever watched. A huge shame there aren't more programs like this one.

P.S. Sup Jake!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon May 24, 2010 10:53 pm

I was disappointed by the finale; there were just too many unanswered questions such as: what was the island really, why didn't desmond or jake turn into the smoke monster, what did electromagnetic pockets have anything to do with anything outside of a contrived excuse to push explanation aside, what is the origin of the light (which may be explained by the very end), etc.? What really drove me bananas was the whole "device" made from the wheel by the initial (maybe) people inhabiting the island. One, if they couldn't access the light, or knew what it did, how did they know how to use it? Second, how does putting a wheel inside of some bricks, adding water, and turning control time? I just thought they glossed over a lot of crap and got away with murder with their "finale". Good show though.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 25, 2010 12:45 am

Gormal wrote:Posting in a Ragorn thread for posterity.

What the fuck? Where the mother fuck have you been?

Call or IM me.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue May 25, 2010 2:04 am

Kifle wrote:I was disappointed by the finale; there were just too many unanswered questions such as:

what was the island really

The place on Earth that separates "Good" from "Evil".

Kifle wrote:why didn't desmond or jake turn into the smoke monster

Neither of them were "bad". Desmond was special anti-electricity boy, and Jack was the protector.

Kifle wrote:what did electromagnetic pockets have anything to do with anything outside of a contrived excuse to push explanation aside

Science vs. Faith

Kifle wrote:what is the origin of the light (which may be explained by the very end), etc.?

No clue, and there is no actual explanation. Notice the skeleton Desmond sees, which could lead to a whole new story way back when. That's a cool mystery part I didn't mind. Who built the plunger? etc...

Kifle wrote:What really drove me bananas was the whole "device" made from the wheel by the initial (maybe) people inhabiting the island. One, if they couldn't access the light, or knew what it did, how did they know how to use it? Second, how does putting a wheel inside of some bricks, adding water, and turning control time?

This, in my book, goes along with taking off with an airplane on a horrendous runway on a damaged airplane. Massive suspension of disbelief and/or accepting that Smokie was indeed "special" to the island and the island let him figure some stuff out.

There are several semi-important questions I was left with. The only one I can actually remember right now is WTF was so special about the Asian guy who lived in the end? The guy who could sense the dead, etc. The guy served almost no purpose.

For a DAMN good review: read this (only part one, and 7 pages).
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue May 25, 2010 3:52 am

I was incredibly dissapointed with this final season of Lost. Truth be told, it seemed like each successive season after the first two got worse and worse. I think the problem is that it was easier to come up with a whole lot of mysterious and weird stuff, which the writers did a lot of in the beginning, and a whole lot more difficult over time to tie it all together into a cohesive story. The conventional wisdom is that the writers had an idea all along about what they wanted to do with the show - but I just don't buy that at all. By the end they were just throwing shit at a wall to see what might stick.

That all being said, I actually enjoyed the finale very much. They did a good job bringing some sort of emotional closure to the audience concerning these characters whom we have invested so much time into over the years. All the lovers and friends are reunited and despite their failings they have all redeemed themselves and are going to a good place. It was actually about the best I could have hoped for, as going into it I knew full well that the story itself was beyond redemption.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed May 26, 2010 9:46 pm

I sat down and watched it all starting a couple months ago. I haven't watched the finale yet, but LOST is like a really bad sci fi soap opera. I kept hoping it would get better but it just got stupider and stupider. The finale sounds interesting, I still have 1 or 2 episodes left to watch, but I highly doubt it will redeem itself completely. Curse the friend who kept telling me how great it was!

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”