palin vilified for making up english

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kiryan
Sojourner

palin vilified for making up english

Postby kiryan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:46 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacob-hei ... 51030.html

can you imagine what would happen if we went to town over a black man talking engrish?

I wish I could be surprised at the extent the double standard is applied to Sarah Palin. Are the supporters of strong women dead, or do they only works for liberals?
Kifle
Sojourner

Re: palin vilified for making up english

Postby Kifle » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:53 am

There is a strong but subtle difference between strength and shrewiness in a woman. Palin demonstrates the latter with the misconception that she exudes strength. And I'm not so sure this only applies to women. I think strongly opinionated is commonly misjudged as strength. Blindly antagonistic personalities such as hers are no doubt dominant; however, they are only dominant to a cerain audience -- which so happens to be those who are generally vaguely capable of independant thought which does not rely on oudated maxims or value judgements. In short, the ability to reword rhetoric to an audience which has been handed to you by the media and your party does not make one strong... Anyone with the necessary lack of stage fright can do that.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:10 am

kiryan wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacob-heilbrunn/dont-refudiate-sarah-pali_b_651030.html

can you imagine what would happen if we went to town over a black man talking engrish?

I wish I could be surprised at the extent the double standard is applied to Sarah Palin. Are the supporters of strong women dead, or do they only works for liberals?

Engrish is for Asians. Black people speak Ebonics.

But really, what does being too stupid to use reasonably correct English have to do with being strong?

Frankly, it has nothing to do with gender or race. A lot of us just think that the person who wants to lead the free world should be smart enough to learn at least one language properly. You Conservatives may have given Bush a pass, but no one else did; proving at least that Liberals will vilify a rich white man just as much as a woman or a black man.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:50 pm

Sarvis wrote:proving at least that Liberals will vilify a rich white man just as much as a woman or a black man.

...as long as they're not on your side.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:33 am

If you think that's bad, you need to see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg

It's gona capsize the izland!

Now, as a precautionary statement, I believe Rep. Hank Johnson is suffering from some kind of medical condition? Unconfirmed.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:18 am

He sounds completely retarded, but at least he can speak English unlike Bush and Palin. I can only assume they are even more retarded.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Oh, it's not sexist. We vilified Bush for the same stupid shit for years.

I wouldn't vote for a black man who ran for office speaking ebonics either.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Ragorn wrote:I wouldn't vote for a black man who ran for office speaking ebonics either.

What about a black man who spoke Engrish? That'd be different, at least...
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Sarvis wrote:He sounds completely retarded, but at least he can speak English unlike Bush and Palin. I can only assume they are even more retarded.

I don't know Sarvis, I would pay more attention to the content of what he's saying.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:42 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Sarvis wrote:He sounds completely retarded, but at least he can speak English unlike Bush and Palin. I can only assume they are even more retarded.

I don't know Sarvis, I would pay more attention to the content of what he's saying.

Why? You don't listen to a black man who speaks perfect english right now.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:07 pm

Can we vilify her for making up geography too? http://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-news- ... h-it-s-not
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Can we vilify Obama for not understanding basic periods of time?

Obama on closing Guatanamo Bay: "no later than one year from now."

That was 05/2009.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:52 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Can we vilify Obama for not understanding basic periods of time?

Obama on closing Guatanamo Bay: "no later than one year from now."

That was 05/2009.

Only if you give up on vilifying Clinton for getting a BJ in the Oval Office. Frankly I think that should be the first thing any President does upon taking office...

(Though hotter interns should be supplied.)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:00 pm

So apparently Palin compared herself to Shakespeare for making up words, and apparently a bunch of people started tweeting Shakespearian themed jokes. Good stuff!

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/15248 ... _Container

"“But soft, what light from yonder window breaks?” wrote @freehawk, now among the most popular of ShakePalin tweeps. “It is the East, and I can see Russia from my front porch.”

This guy decided to collect them all into a twitter account I guess: http://twitter.com/search?q=%23shakespalin

"Friends, Nome-ans, Countrymen. Lend me your checkbooks. I come to bury Liberals not to praise them...for $100,000/engagement."
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Sarvis wrote:Only if you give up on vilifying Clinton for getting a BJ in the Oval Office.

He's vilified for lying under oath and being unfaithful to his wife.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:57 pm

You mean like when the Bush Administration told us there were WMD in Iraq?
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Sarvis wrote:You mean like when the Bush Administration told us there were WMD in Iraq?

Whether that was a lie or an error I honestly do not know. But was it under oath?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:18 pm

Fair enough, but why was Clinton on trial for getting lucky in the firstg place? How is a sex act impeachable, but starting a war under false pretenses just business as usual?
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:01 am

What false pretenses?

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewater_(controversy)#The_Kenneth_Starr_investigation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewinsky_scandal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Jones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachmen ... ll_Clinton

By the way, Bill Clinton pardoned most of the people that were involved in his tax evasion scandal. Nice. Bill Clinton was testifying because he was being investigated for a lot of things, including sexual harassment.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:00 am

Sarvis wrote:Fair enough, but why was Clinton on trial for getting lucky in the firstg place? How is a sex act impeachable, but starting a war under false pretenses just business as usual?

It was perjury that he was impeached for, not sexual misconduct; but, yeah, I agree. He should have never been on trial in the first place, so I suppose that makes the perjury almost moot.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Or how about Obama for selective responsibility? The language in his promises are pretty straightforward: I will fix the economy, I will close Guantanamo Bay, etc.

However, when it comes to his fall-flat-on-the-face failures, it never is the same somehow.....:

"Members of this administration, members of the media, members of different political factions on both sides of this, have all made determinations and judgments without a full set of facts."

"Everyone guessed wrong at the time the estimate was made about what the state of the economy was at the moment this was passed."

"While federal authorities took the proper steps to notify state and local authorities in New York and New Jersey, it’s clear that the mission created confusion and disruption."

Yes, Obama, spread that blame so no one points a finger at the way you've increased the public debt in 18 months faster than Bush did in 4 years.
Last edited by teflor the ranger on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Funny how Palin/Bush are so indefensible you've resorted to bashing Obama in a thread about Palin's inability to learn basic English.

Trying to change the subject from Bush's lying too, I see. Tsk tsk.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:16 pm

Sarvis wrote:Funny how Palin/Bush are so indefensible you've resorted to bashing Obama

Are you retarded or do you just have a very short term memory? If you'll recall, I pretty much bash Obama in every thread.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:17 pm

That, and I have virtually no taste for defending politicians of any walk.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:34 am

seriously, you guys really think its a news worthy item, a serious screwup worthy of widespread lambasting for a 1 letter difference between refudiate and repudiate? ONE letter in a twitter post? probably cranked out off the top of her head?

Seriously that is valid? God forbid anyone make a real honest mistake like naievely promising all sorts of shit that were impossible to achieve to get elected.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:24 pm

kiryan wrote:seriously, you guys really think its a news worthy item, a serious screwup worthy of widespread lambasting for a 1 letter difference between refudiate and repudiate? ONE letter in a twitter post? probably cranked out off the top of her head?

Seriously that is valid? God forbid anyone make a real honest mistake like naievely promising all sorts of shit that were impossible to achieve to get elected.

Kiryan, one only has to read a couple of your posts to see why you would side with Palin on this one. Unfortunately for you both an inability to speak/write proper English makes people think you are stupid. This isn't so bad if you're a random internet tough guy, but if you intend to <i>lead the free world</i> you should do your absolute best to NOT look stupid. You conservatives love to talk about other countries respecting us, but then you try to select leaders that no one could respect due to their apparent lack of intelligence and education.

In fact, if your own reading comprehension skills were up to snuff you'd know that this isn't because of a twitter post. In fact, she made the original mistake while giving a speech! We even gave her a pass on it, because people can sometimes slip up while speaking. It's the fact that she then decided to re-use the "word" and try to defend the choice as being Shakespearian that she's being lambasted. You have an idiot comparing herself to one of the most legendary playwrights in the world.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:24 pm

kiryan wrote:seriously, you guys really think its a news worthy item, a serious screwup worthy of widespread lambasting for a 1 letter difference between refudiate and repudiate? ONE letter in a twitter post? probably cranked out off the top of her head?

It's really more the self-comparison to Shakespeare that has us giggling.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:28 pm

Brilliant minds make up words, she is not stupid for having invented a word on the fly. SP is stupid for the same reason HC is. She thinks a woman can be in charge.

(edit: yes, I'm kidding)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:04 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Brilliant minds make up words, she is not stupid for having invented a word on the fly. SP is stupid for the same reason HC is. She thinks a woman can be in charge.

(edit: yes, I'm kidding)

At least you've got the main talking point down.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:28 pm

Riiight, like you guys don't cringe every time somebody says "irregardless". She didn't consciously make the word up to be creative, she did it because her vocabulary was too weak to properly convey her message without making something up. In the real world, we call this retarded; in Palin's and other conservatives' minds, this is apparently called intelligent and creative.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:39 am

I use 'irregardless.' There are plenty of other english words constructed the same way and used in the same intended manner. Furthermore its use is as universally understood as any other word of the same length and relative frequency.

I see no reason not to. It also helps me to identify the false intellectuals and the conservatives of the english language. Furthermore, one might argue that a voluminous (large) vocabulary is only necessary for the people too intellectually weak (morons) to communicate (say what they mean) without the crutch of uncommon words unknown by most other people (using words for bullshit ass goblins).
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:24 am

I agree about the shapespeare thing.

Unless she is being graded on writing an academic paper, I think we can let refudiate go. Harry Reid voted no on 2 crucial votes and was allowed to change his vote. Leader of the fucking senate got less flack for screwing up his vote than Palin got for screwing up a word. SERIOUSLY.

Also the purpose of english, especially spoken, is to communicate. How many of you were generally confused about what she meant? I guess if you are liberal, speaking english correctly is the highest measure of your ability to govern; it worked for you on Obama.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:06 pm

kiryan wrote:I agree about the shapespeare thing.

Unless she is being graded on writing an academic paper, I think we can let refudiate go. Harry Reid voted no on 2 crucial votes and was allowed to change his vote. Leader of the fucking senate got less flack for screwing up his vote than Palin got for screwing up a word. SERIOUSLY.

Also the purpose of english, especially spoken, is to communicate. How many of you were generally confused about what she meant? I guess if you are liberal, speaking english correctly is the highest measure of your ability to govern; it worked for you on Obama.

Bush couldn't speak, and couldn't govern worth shit. Coincidence?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:16 pm

teflor the ranger wrote: Furthermore, one might argue that a voluminous (large) vocabulary is only necessary for the people too intellectually weak (morons) to communicate (say what they mean) without the crutch of uncommon words unknown by most other people (using words for bullshit ass goblins).

1) So you're saying Palin is retarded because she needs the crutch of "uncommon words unknown by" everyone? Not only uncommon, but nonexistent!
2) We should just reduce the number of words in the dictionary, parsing them down to the bare minimum. Should also eliminate superlatives and anything like that. Just use "good," "gooder," and "best." "Ungood" for things that you don't like. Right? That way there are no "false intellectuals" running around with their evil thinking.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:14 pm

hehe...corpse.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:25 am

Sarvis wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote: Furthermore, one might argue that a voluminous (large) vocabulary is only necessary for the people too intellectually weak (morons) to communicate (say what they mean) without the crutch of uncommon words unknown by most other people (using words for bullshit ass goblins).

1) So you're saying Palin is retarded because she needs the crutch of "uncommon words unknown by" everyone? Not only uncommon, but nonexistent!
2) We should just reduce the number of words in the dictionary, parsing them down to the bare minimum. Should also eliminate superlatives and anything like that. Just use "good," "gooder," and "best." "Ungood" for things that you don't like. Right? That way there are no "false intellectuals" running around with their evil thinking.

Actually, ungood and badong work for me. Most words in the American English lexicon were non-existent in the relatively near past.

The sad thing is, everyone understood what Palin said. It caused no confusion, it only revealed the moronic asswipes that think that in thousands of hours of public speaking, one word-gaff is an indicator of a lack of intelligence.

Fucking read more.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:33 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Sarvis wrote:

Actually, ungood and badong work for me. Most words in the American English lexicon were non-existent in the relatively near past.

The sad thing is, everyone understood what Palin said. It caused no confusion, it only revealed the moronic asswipes that think that in thousands of hours of public speaking, one word-gaff is an indicator of a lack of intelligence.

Fucking read more.

No, we know Palin is a moron from a lot of other things. Like thinking she's got foreign relations experience because she can see Russia from her porch. This is just confirmation.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:37 pm

and we know obama is a lieing sack of shit.

/end thread
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:48 pm

kiryan wrote:and we know obama is a lieing sack of shit.

/end thread

Yep, keep up the propaganda!

Should we compare broken campaign promises from Bush? If so, which Bush? Did Bush Jr happen to promise NOT to send our entire economy into a recession?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:16 pm

Read My Lips: No New Taxes!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:57 pm

truth hurts, ouch!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:26 am

Sarvis wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:it only revealed the moronic asswipes that think that in thousands of hours of public speaking, one word-gaff is an indicator of a lack of intelligence.

Fucking read more.

This is just confirmation.

Indeed it is.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”