Nostalgia: The game affecting real life

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Dalar
Sojourner

Nostalgia: The game affecting real life

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:01 am

Hey guys. It's been almost 2 decades this game has been up. I wanted to start a nostalgia thread to get people talking about how the MUD has affected you.

For me, I turned from introvert in high school to a pompous knowitall asshole that I now am.
I got my first 802.11a wireless card for my laptop so i could hide playing MUD from my parents (they took the cable).

I've heard some cooler things, like people selling tia items back in Soj1 for $500.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Re: Nostalgia: The game affecting real life

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:41 pm

I've had the fortune of meeting a couple of cool people through the mud. You know, the enjoyably crazy kind.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:07 pm

College (with the mud) = 2.7GPA.
1st year of law school (no mud) = 3.6GPA
2nd and 3rd year of law school (with mud) did not go as well as the first year.

I stopped playing soon after graduating in 2002. In that time I got married, had a couple of kids, started my own succesful law practice, bought a house, etc. I hate to think of how things might be if I continued to play. I just simply never had the ability to balance the mud with other things in my life.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:02 pm

Corth wrote:College (with the mud) = 2.7GPA.
1st year of law school (no mud) = 3.6GPA
2nd and 3rd year of law school (with mud) did not go as well as the first year.

I stopped playing soon after graduating in 2002. In that time I got married, had a couple of kids, started my own succesful law practice, bought a house, etc. I hate to think of how things might be if I continued to play. I just simply never had the ability to balance the mud with other things in my life.

My problem was always that I'd find something else to distract me. If not the MUD, then PS2, if not PS2 then books, if not books then TV...

These days I can barely even do any of that... :(
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:29 pm

I remember a friend of mine and his dad used to play back in '94, so I got my dad to take spare computer parts from work that they would throw away when they upgraded. About two weeks later, I learned how to build my own computer and got internet access with a bag boy job at the grocery store. I'm in the same boat as Corth, though. This place destroyed my GPA due to the inability to manage my time. I quit, started taking school seriously, and now I just got promoted to VP at my corporation.

Oddly though, the smell of summer in an older house with woodwork always reminds me of my first time playing here. What is really sad, is that no matter what game I play, I never get that same feeling. I suppose I had it for the first few days of WoW, but it is a feeling that I do miss.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:45 pm

Corth wrote:2nd and 3rd year of law school (with mud) did not go as well as the first year....

Can't help but wonder, as you and a client walk out of the courtroom:

Client: What the hell just happened in there?!
Corth: Hmm, I don't know. All I could think about is that new quest spell that's coming 'SOON'...I guess I should have spoken up!
Client: Wha? Wasn't there something you could have done? I mean...you're a lawyer!
Corth: *pats the guy* Ah, don't worry. You win some, you lose some!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Have you seen my website?
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:19 am

Corth wrote:Have you seen my website?

I would hire him in a heartbeat. From parking tickets to mass murders. I love it!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:12 pm

That's the lawyer for me.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”