Grammar police

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kiryan
Sojourner

Grammar police

Postby kiryan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:09 pm

They railed sarah palin for making up a word. lets look at the professor's latest quote.

'They talk about me like a dog'

gr8 professor. You may now proceed with bashing Obama for being an retarded inbred idiot from Chicago slums.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: Grammar police

Postby Sarvis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:16 pm

You'll have to point out the error here. It's a little clumsy, but I don't see anything glaringly wrong...
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:32 pm

'They talk about me like a dog'

That's either an incomplete sentence: They talk about me, like a dog...talks about cats...

or just poor English: They talk about me as if I were a dog. They treat me like they do their dogs.

I'm sure there's other possibilities. Either way, it's a fail sentence.

Note: I'm not an English teacher (Avak/Kifle).
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:03 am

The statement "they talk about me like a dog" can be interpreted in more than one way. Either he is indicating that they are like dogs in the way that they talk, or they talk about him as if he were a dog.

Context can provide more information on what exactly was meant.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Right, it is clumsy... but I doubt anyone speaks off the cuff without making grammatical errors. Hell, I can't even claim I always use real words... I myself occasionally say two words at once and get them combined into some weird combination.

However, Palin made it worse by trying to defend her mistake while no one is making Obama's mistake an issue except people butthurt over Palin.

Frankly, we'd have let Palin off the hook anyway if she wasn't such a Palin-American in other ways. Since she had convinced us she was retarded during the election, however, we're not going to pass up on anything that further confirms that view.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:24 pm

kiryan wrote:You may now proceed with bashing Obama for being an retarded inbred idiot from Chicago slums.

I think the bigger issue is the glaring grammatical error in Kiryan's post. It should read: ...for being A retard... not ...for being AN retard...

Kiryan you make the worst presidential candidate EVER! :)
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Nice.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Once again, we didn't rail Palin for making up a word, we railed her for comparing herself to Shakespeare.

You can do better than this. Slow news day? Economy's up, consumer confidence is good, credit report positive... nothing to complain about today?

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”