UFC / MMA Full Contact Martial Arts

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
ssar
Sojourner

UFC / MMA Full Contact Martial Arts

Postby ssar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:15 pm

Ultimate Fighting Championship / Mixed Martial Arts discussion.

http://www.ufc.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ufc

UFC has grown massively in popularity the last several years, spurring general MMA interest.
Personally I'm lovin' it.
BEER
ssar
Sojourner

Re: UFC / MMA Full Contact Martial Arts

Postby ssar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:16 pm

It was great to see Cain smash Lesnar the other week in the last UFC. Also enjoyed a few of the prelim fights.

Right now, however, UFC123 weigh-in is happening, really looking forward to this UFC.

It starts around 2pm Sydney time I think.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_123

I'm not gonna miss George Sotiropoulos vs. Joe Lauzon – George is really gonna have his work cut out for him with Joe.
I like Joe too, he gos so hard, really gets into his BJJ and is great to watch.
But always gotta go for the Aussie, it's so good to see George holding his own and really going well in UFC.

Another Matt Hughes v BJ Penn bout will be great too, The Prodigy has earned his name among the MMA legends and I hope both he & Matt put in good performances.

Then of course Rampage v Machida – it'll be great to see both of them in action again actually, Machida has such good evasion and fast return fire I think unless Rampage manages to land some damaging blows (and he has some REALLY damaging potential) then he'll tire and Machida will wear him down.

Here's hoping for some good, honest brutal action!
BEER
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:16 pm

In Australia, to find a venue to watch Pay Per View events like big Boxing Bouts and UFC:

Go to: http://www.foxsports.com.au/venues/ppv-venue-finder

And browse the right hand side list for the upcoming event, then search google-map style.
Last edited by ssar on Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BEER
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:39 pm

In UFC's earlier days, I just couldn't watch the fights. They allowed groin shots and all sorts of crap that should never be done simply to sell entertainment. The new UFC seems a lot better, but it's still kind of annoying how many fights end up with the last 15 minutes on the ground.

Also, no idea why 'MMA' is a thing. Back in the day, people developed their own martial arts and they competed against other masters with their own styles. It's just martial arts. MMA says things to me like "Golf Kwon Do," or "dishwasher jujitsu."
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:42 pm

UFC123 was a great card.

So good to see George weather Joe's storm through round 1 and then apply his own pressure and take the bout! Go Aussie! I actually thought Joe would dominate him more and win this, more credit to George and good on him!

And BJ Penn - he was so amped, such a quick, decisive victory! Great to see BJ amped, but kinda a shame in a way as it was over so fast and we didn't see them both work some combos, different octagon manouvering and skills etc.

Then in the main event I think Machida actually won it overall, but it was close. Man Rampage sure took some punishment and to his credit shook it off and recovered ok as well as showed great sportsmanship at the end. Would love to see a rematch sometime.

Sweeeeet.
BEER
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:02 pm

I dunno, I thought the Machida Rampage fight never really got started. Not much excitement at least.. I started out watching it ignoring my friends random "ooh they're hugging" comments as standard "you don't have any idea what you're talking about" but as the fight progressed and nothing big happened.. meh, was expecting more of a show.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:04 am

most of the UFCs have bored me lately, the fights havent been anything interesting, the lesner fight was kinda shocking, but than again im a lesner fan. Love watching GSP fight, but thats usually one sided. missed the last UFC, was hoping penn would lose cant stand that guy.
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:23 am

UFC has been hosed from it's starting days because of regulations. With Tef's touch on the groin shots, etc., that was because if you were in a true fight, that's how it'd go down. Then they went from no rules to 'No fish-hooking, and no eye gouging'. But, getting stomped in the groin like that one poor bastard did...I wonder if it ended his erm, pursuits of having children.

MMA now is so strict, that everybody has to do the similar ground 'n pound versus being caught in a triangle, kimura, arm-bar, americana, and so on... Pooor fucking Matt Hughes. He wanted to end the rubber match, and damn, did Penn ever end it. Don't think anybody has ever knocked Hughes around like that, let alone in just seconds.

Oddly enough, I'm surprised with Rampage's brashness, that he held up Machida's hand at the end.

I can't WAIT for Silva vs. Belfort!!! If you know anything of Belfort in his early years (Belfort vs. J.Hess), then you know this guy's a serious threat in any arena.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:59 pm

Rule of thumb for those seeking to participate in any sorts of competitive martial arts: get sperm frozen.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:44 pm

Ok, nice.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:32 am

Since you have Herb Dean in that clip, anybody ever see 'ol Herby himself fight? Was pretty slow til the end, then Herb's Hamsters destroyed the guy...
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”