Toril 2.0: Character Attributes

Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:07 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:I believe everyone is missing the point of my posts.

fumes have a detriment. A very large one, that if max_stat changes go into effect will in practice make fumes NEVER used.

My question is, will equipment like that one particular item be changed where people will actually use it still, or shall we just duckpond our items like that?

I would put them on the auction right now for 100 plat, no one can answer your question you'll just have to wait and see I guess. I'm sure all things like that will be looked at and adjusted for balance if needed.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:36 am

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:I believe everyone is missing the point of my posts.

fumes have a detriment. A very large one, that if max_stat changes go into effect will in practice make fumes NEVER used.

My question is, will equipment like that one particular item be changed where people will actually use it still, or shall we just duckpond our items like that?

I thought I answered your concern fairly directly, but let me take another stab at it. I think the biggest source of confusion on this particular topic is the failure to understand that there will no longer be a set limit to any particular stat. The days of not being able to pass 100 on any particular attribute without special equipment will be over. This will make +max_stat and -max_stat items meaningless, because there is no maximum to affect, either possitively or negatively. Sure, fumes may get a more significant constitution penalty to compensate for the fact that the max flag will be meaningless, but what is to keep you from offsetting that penalty with +con equipment of you so choose? It isn't as if you will suddenly have a level of constitution than you cannot pass because you are wearing that particular item. It would simply have the same effect as rolling (or, rather, buying) a slightly lower constitution score.

As for your concern that it will become junk equipment due to changes: I expect that anything with a flag on it that will become meaningless with the new system will be examined for rebalancing, allowing for an adjustment that will compensate for anything the item in question might have lost in the transition.

Once again, this is only my best guess.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:14 pm

At least eventually things will be rebalanced. Initially the imms probably won't have time to fine tune _everything_ before implementation. I believe they said they're going to use an algorhythm for the initial conversion and tweak things case by case as they see the need.

Probably there will be a forum for "balance this!" complaints that will see lots of action after the change.
Iyced / Torgu / Iysor
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:55 pm

In regards to max_stat items:

Max Stat is no longer a relevant property in 2.0. However, all max_stat items will automatically be converted to fulfill a different purpose which should be equally useful.

Where possible I've done my best to minimize the impact of 2.0 on the Areas sphere by converting no longer relevant items/properties into something that works under the new system. Of course this isn't always going to work out perfectly for every item, but it'll point us in the right direction and prevent everyone from having to completely re-equip themselves after the update. My philosophy is that its more important that an item (ie, your work) retain its value than its exact function. So while your max_stat items may do something different, they will still be equally valuable, rather than just becoming junk. I hope that makes sense.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:16 pm

Shevarash wrote:My philosophy is that its more important that an item (ie, your work) retain its value than its exact function. So while your max_stat items may do something different, they will still be equally valuable, rather than just becoming junk. I hope that makes sense.

That strikes me as the only option that makes sense in light of fundamental changes, actually. :D
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:54 pm

It's time to FIGHT CRIME!

Well, maybe not really. But maybe it's time for a new update? :P
Inames
Sojourner

Re: Toril 2.0: Character Attributes

Postby Inames » Sun May 18, 2008 2:24 am

[quote="Shevarash"]The old system of exact sizes in inches and pounds has been eliminated in favor of a simpler and more effective system of size categories. There are now 9 size categories:

Fine, Diminutive, Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Huge, Gargantuan, Colossal.

Size does not affect your ability scores or other character attributes, but it does play an important role in combat. The smaller you are, the bigger other creatures are relative to you, and hence easier targets. Conversely, the bigger you are relative to another creature, the harder it is to hit that target. Size also comes into play with many tactical manuevers such as shield bashing, tripping, charging, etc. A creature's size is easily viewable, and therefore it is very easy to judge whether or not these maneuvers can be performed effectively beforehand.

Most player races are Medium-sized, with the exception of Gnomes and Halflings (Small), and Trolls and Ogres (Large). [/quote]

heh im pretty friggen late on this im sure but, what about gear affecting weight? will weight changing gear still affect you or will it be as you said with max_stat gear, not have the same function but still be as valuable?
Timothynor
Sojourner

Toril 2 0 Character Attributes

Postby Timothynor » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

My bad, thought you were supposed to wait with account creation for a character when it was approved. Read aaanyway :3

Return to “2.0 Announcements”