eq balance

For discussion of all area related issues - stats, new zones, quest issues, etc.
kiryan
Sojourner

eq balance

Postby kiryan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:36 pm

It seems like there is an interest in rebalancing zones and eq distribution...

I'd like to chime in that the perfect balance we have been working towards for years != fun. Balance makes a good argument, but how has that made things more fun or increased the pbase?

Why can't an easy zone have a good or even a great piece of eq. Roots was a good example of this for a # of years. The haste body cloak in kuotoa another throwback from the past.

Why can't an extremely difficult and long zone have only one top tier reward? Wouldn't that increase its "style" value as well?

Why does risk vs reward have to be balanced everywhere for every eq in every slot/race/class combo?

Consider giving almost every zone in the game 1 top tier eq slot that is a combination of class, alignment, race, gender, order part of alignment, and type of class (tank war vs hitter war). Then keep it up over time by not competing for top tier eq combos by requiring the previous "top tier" item to get the new top tier in the new zone.
Klandal
Sojourner

Re: eq balance

Postby Klandal » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:22 am

kiryan wrote:Consider giving almost every zone in the game 1 top tier eq slot that is a combination of class, alignment, race, gender, order part of alignment, and type of class (tank war vs hitter war). Then keep it up over time by not competing for top tier eq combos by requiring the previous "top tier" item to get the new top tier in the new zone.

This is what I advocated for each zone they actually wanted people to do. Dugmaren seemed open to the suggestion but I don't know how easy it will be to do retroactively. You have to choose which piece of eq you want to be the top tier class-slot item from each zone that currently doesn't have one. I do see it as a great way of making somebody do a much larger part of the content Toril has to offer in order to achieve a top tier set for a character in every slot.

Another one of the considerations would be to consider whether to allow/handle similar top tier items with different modifiers (-6svbr vs -6svbr etc.). Some people have different considerations in comparing usefulness of equipment as well (ac vs hps vs svs vs mr etc).
Ivac ASSOC:: 'man, i'd love to be a woman'
Ivac ASSOC:: 'multiple orgasms'

Return to “T2 Areas Discussion Archive”