Area Requests - MODIFICATIONS

For discussion of all area related issues - stats, new zones, quest issues, etc.
grundar
Sojourner

Re: Area Requests - MODIFICATIONS

Postby grundar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:54 am

Pril wrote:
Desirsar wrote:Uncreative reply - give a reason for characters at a given zone's intended level (under 40, plenty of high end stuff) to go there, while giving a disincentive for characters above that level to go there. (Something better than the old man at Split Shield, heh.) I have no idea how to implement any idea I have for it without massive coding work, so I leave that part blank...

Really man? Dug fixes all the bugs we ask for and you come back with, "I'm unimpressed, oh and a bunch of other stuff needs to be fixed, I have no idea how to but why the hell isn't it?" Can you be any more ungrateful?

heh looks to me like you're reading too much into it.. as i see it he's saying _his own post_ is not going to be creative and then proceeds to ask for his own area modification request.
Thilindel on Irony: Glibble GCC: 'stupid assed whiners'
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:57 am

grundar wrote:
Pril wrote:
Desirsar wrote:Uncreative reply - give a reason for characters at a given zone's intended level (under 40, plenty of high end stuff) to go there, while giving a disincentive for characters above that level to go there. (Something better than the old man at Split Shield, heh.) I have no idea how to implement any idea I have for it without massive coding work, so I leave that part blank...

Really man? Dug fixes all the bugs we ask for and you come back with, "I'm unimpressed, oh and a bunch of other stuff needs to be fixed, I have no idea how to but why the hell isn't it?" Can you be any more ungrateful?

heh looks to me like you're reading too much into it.. as i see it he's saying _his own post_ is not going to be creative and then proceeds to ask for his own area modification request.

If i misunderstood the post then I apologize. If I didn't then I stand by my statement. Desirar can decipher it :)
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Desirsar
Sojourner

Postby Desirsar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:08 am

As Riley would say, "...ridin'." Well, to quote one word of one part of the phrase. I leave the rest for Google to fill in! (Easy hint : Boondocks, animated series)

I'm saying that there are a huge number of zones that are outdated and have little reason for any players to go there, even with an alt that isn't leveled up, simply because they are twinked beyond anything the zone drops. Sure, Dug fixes up all the zones as people request, and this is good - except that almost every request refers to a zone in red in the credits, and nearly all include the word "ONLY!" at the end of its entry. I'm asking for a reason for characters to run through lower level zones untwinked (how you would implement detection of this, I don't know) and unbuffed (that is, without every stacking buff spell from every combination of level 50 character you can get a friend to park near the entrance of said zone - again, difficult for detection), and make mobs unload or item unload from mobs or containers (or however you want to implement it when "twink" is "detected") when someone too big for an area's design comes in.

Give people a reason to play normally at a given level... you know, how true newbies would do it. I don't mind random level 50s popping up and handing me gear when I'm trying to play through the game again, since I had high level characters long enough ago that I grouped with Aradune. (If the reference is too old, 15 years ago.) If I were a true newbie, I'd probably accept the chest armor or shield or weapon someone handed me, but I'd have serious doubts about the entertainment value in the high end of the game if people can crap out a pile of gear on you that they won't miss, but would be much better than what the first level 50 character after a player wipe would be wearing as they hit 50.

If it is not obvious - I don't have any characters over level 30 on this pwipe. I don't want to level up quickly, and I don't need people tossing every weapon short of Tiamat drops and -100 AC totaling gear on me to make it easier... I want other players playing on a level 30 character that actually want to group without knowing they need to kill precisely 3141.7 (no, I don't know why pi*100, I just picked it) orcs in CM to gain the next level, whether or not they've done it before or done it ten times before, going through level 30 zones that they don't have memorized (this is a tough request considering how much I map and how easily I memorize maps even without cMUD), doing level 30 quests because the character needs the items since they don't have high end items from zones where a character at level 49.9999 spontaneously explodes upon entering for being underpowered.

(After I type this, I see the two posts below the one to which I am replying. Yes, Pril did misread it somehow. I'm glad the game is getting worked on, but it's definitely WoWified - everyone races to 50 with new characters and then only has stuff at level 50 to do that they've done before, so they beg for more high end things to be added. Beg for low end things to be added, so you have a reason to be there and give a reason for new players to actually stay and get involved!)
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Bordering on "off topic" here, but i'd like to give Desirsar an idea of what has happened to the MUD in the last 15 years....

We stopped getting large influxes of new players. I doubt this will change. Ever. Games like WoW and other graphic MMORPGS's stole most of the new clientel. The reason most players are handed eq and pleveled up to 50 before attempting zones is because EQ is so rediculously available (especially the mid-high end stuff) that its almost worthless. The players here have already run the less challenging zones, and are focusing on the higher end zones because that is where the challenge is for them. Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to condone nor promote this, but i am saying that this is the natural progression of a mud that hasn't undergone a PWIPE and has a PBASE made almost exclusively of the original players from the wipe.

This is why you see what you see. I can't think of a good way to fix it without causing other HUGE, perhaps more detrimental problems.

So back to the topic at hand. I think dug is doing a fantastic job of helping put some balance and some "tweaks" into zones that are either long overdue, or just fantastic anyhow. I applaud him for his work.
kanenan
Sojourner

Postby kanenan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:04 pm

I know they have the potential to.. but it's based on chance, and those who are fixed to certain locations should inherit this also :

More global rares loading in zones.

Now that would be fun. Hey.. Rimi is hanging with Saks! Awesome-o!
Shitty the people who will ever quest already have etc.. but that's an example of how to provide more challenge, less twink.
stuff.
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:09 am

kanenan wrote:Now that would be fun. Hey.. Rimi is hanging with Saks! Awesome-o!

7 months too late on that comment
Thilindel on Irony: Glibble GCC: 'stupid assed whiners'
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:59 pm

Dalar wrote:Edge of a Small Stream (Water)
Room size: Mid-sized (L:5 ft W:42 ft H:500 ft)
Exits: -N -S
Corpse of the furry rabbit is lying here.

Make this room not a 1-way. It's on the path from faang to VT

omg that's actaully a good idea.

Also, same goes for this one, southeast of the troll hills, northeast from the north dock of the chionthar ferry:

< 801h/682H 117v/344V P: std > Tiny Wooden Bridge
Exits: -N -S
A cute little ground hog is here, digging a hole in the dirt.

< 801h/682H 117v/344V P: std > Oof! It seems that the ground hog is in your way.

'Bout time that bridge got widened!
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:38 am

Some upgrades in TK are really needed. Our record for everything to Hell grid is 90 minutes. Then 2-3 hours for Hell Grid. Right now Hell Grid gives an ac8 4/2 mask and a 7ac 4dr 125 moves cloak.

Quests from Hell Grid are lacking too, a warrior shield with less hps then Izan's and 3dr on an epic quest. The quest is way harder then Erlans and Kerns yet the reward is less then something I picked up off auction for 750p. The quest for the shield requires some very rare and hard to get items as well as multiple trips into the Hell Grid. There are also the silver dragon leggings that get a couple ac boot for another epic style quest.

Hell Grid should have Magma-esque rewards especially since all (both) the rewards come from the final fight.

The belt of the mind's eye could stand to get a couple more hps as well. As well as the chakra legs.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:36 am

I agree hellgrid stuff could use some love:

Helm = pretty good imo, probably the second best tank helm
Mask = good hit/decent dam could use some love i.e. prots or special effects similar to lupine
Cloak = needs more AC to be useable as it is its a dragging item for rogues
anklet = not bad could use some tweaking to make it higher end but if stuff is done to other items in zone i wouldnt worry too much about this
Dagger = interesting concept i think more rangers will use this than mages
Belt = more HP would make it very nice.

As it is now the zone rewards are good.....if its a 2 hr zone. But for the time put in to kill lvernicus and his crew magmaesque is in order imo.

If i had to pick 2 items to receive upgrades it would be mask most definetly and perhaps give the cloak a proc or something nice.
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:48 am

i think rewards are about right if the last fight is toned down. that's really the only part that makes hellgrid take so long. and if you do change stats plz don't just upgrade the rogue eq...

Return to “T2 Areas Discussion Archive”