a rune inscribed glaive / a silver glaive

For discussion of all area related issues - stats, new zones, quest issues, etc.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

a rune inscribed glaive / a silver glaive

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:54 am

These weapons are currently dual-wielded by bards to backstab.

How about changing their itemname/descrip to be a weapon more suitable for dual-wielding and backstabbing, say, a dagger? Also, how about making them also be usable by psionicists?
spunionring
Sojourner

Re: a rune inscribed glaive / a silver glaive

Postby spunionring » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:31 am

But but its a faerie sized glaive
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:40 am

That's a good point SPUNIONRING. Makes sense, and I hadn't thought of that.

Granted, using that logic, the two staffs from Seelie would then be sticks on regular beings :P
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:43 am

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:That's a good point SPUNIONRING. Makes sense, and I hadn't thought of that.

Granted, using that logic, the two staffs from Seelie would then be sticks on regular beings :P

and thats why they are wielded 1handed :) i honestly think all staffs should be 2 handed but than i dont think they would really be used much
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:14 am

Yeah. Shields are too important.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:34 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:That's a good point SPUNIONRING. Makes sense, and I hadn't thought of that.

OWNED
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:17 pm

There are common uses for "glaive", then the one you posted.

This one from Blade:

The glaive from Krull:

And from Wikipedia:
  • The word glaive has historically been given to several very different types of weapon.
  • The word glaive originated in French. Almost all etymologists derive it from either the Latin (gladius) or Celtic (*cladivos, cf. claymore) word for sword. Nevertheless, all the earliest attestations in both French and English refer to spears.
  • It is attested in this meaning in English roughly from the 14th century to the 16th.
  • In the 15th century it acquired the meaning described above.
  • Around the same time it also began being used as a poetic word for sword (this is the main use of the word in Modern French).
  • In the film Krull as well as the video game Dark Sector and Dungeon Siege II the word 'glaive' is used to refer to a whirling projectile blade similar in structure to a shuriken but much larger and cast and used like a chakram (a weapon much like a frisbee) or hunga munga.
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:25 pm

we should rename them to hunga mungas lol
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:16 pm

I think the definition of glaive as a throwing star is something done by Hollywood to give it a cooler sounding name. Glaive sounds alot cooler than throwing star. But a glaive still remains a type of spear/halberd.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:38 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:I think the definition of glaive as a throwing star is something done by Hollywood to give it a cooler sounding name.

That's right, 15th century Hollywood.
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:25 pm

actually the wikipedia entry is states the word glaive changed to referring to the single bladed polearm weapon in the 15th century.

The only reference in that wikipedia entry to the throwing star style is from the movie Krull.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:47 pm

glaive as an adapted form of L. gladius (through the stages gladie, glaie, glavie). Ascoli supposes it to represent a Celtic *cladivo- (OIr. claideb sword, Gael. claidheamh). Neither view, however, accounts for the earliest meaning of the word in OF., which is also that of MHG. glavîe, glævîn, MDu. glavie, glaye, Sw. glaven."
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:02 am

yes those are lingual roots for the word.... they are like grandparents to the actual word.

The word glaive originated in French. Almost all etymologists derive it from either the Latin (gladius) or Celtic (*cladivos, cf. claymore) word for sword. Nevertheless, all the earliest attestations in both French and English refer to spears.

It seems clear to me that the root 'gladius' was used to name a new kind of polearm with a short sword blade on the end.

Nowhere can I find the word glaive to describe any weapon other than a polearm. Other than modern media.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:38 am

I think he was posting that he found proof that glaive = sword or spear.

The word glaive has historically been given to several very different types of weapon.

* The word glaive originated in French. Almost all etymologists derive it from either the Latin (gladius) or Celtic (*cladivos, cf. claymore) word for sword. Nevertheless, all the earliest attestations in both French and English refer to spears.[1] It is attested in this meaning in English roughly from the 14th century to the 16th.[2]
* In the 15th century it acquired the meaning described above.[3]
* Around the same time it also began being used as a poetic word for sword (this is the main use of the word in Modern French).[4]

Return to “T2 Areas Discussion Archive”