Math and Tax numbers - a solicitation for facts

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kwirl
Sojourner

Math and Tax numbers - a solicitation for facts

Postby kwirl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:20 pm

Does anyone know where I can find details regarding how much of a difference letting the bush era tax cuts expire would affect our budget? the one that no one wants to rescind because it is an across-the-board tax cut on not just the wealthy, but the middle and lower class as well?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: Math and Tax numbers - a solicitation for facts

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Found an article talking about it: http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/22/expiri ... taxes.html

Basically if you are in the 10% bracket now, you'll go up 5%. If you're in the other tax brackets up until 35%, you'll go up 3%. If you're in the highest tax bracket of 35% you'll go up 4.6%.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:32 pm

The number you're looking for is $800-900 billion. That's the amount of revenue that the United States lost as a result of extending the Bush tax cuts.

And now we're squabbling over funding PBS.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Ragorn wrote:The number you're looking for is $800-900 billion. That's the amount of revenue that the citizens of the United States saved as a result of extending the Bush tax cuts.

FTFY
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:39 pm

Corth wrote:
Ragorn wrote:The number you're looking for is $800-900 billion. That's the amount of revenue that the citizens of the United States saved as a result of extending the Bush tax cuts.

FTFY

No Corth, absolutely wrong and I'd really expect better of you. The money was spent anyway, we just owe it now. Debt is not savings.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:34 pm

The United States government came within an hour of shutting down over $35 billion in spending cuts, or right around 3.5% of the amount of revenue lost by the Bush tax cuts. Call me when they figure out a way to "save" us $900 billion.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:11 pm

They did save us $900 billion. By not taking it away from the people by force through taxes.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:47 am

Sarvis wrote:
Corth wrote:

FTFY

No Corth, absolutely wrong and I'd really expect better of you. The money was spent anyway, we just owe it now. Debt is not savings.

Sarvis demonstrating the relevance and importance of the spending cuts which Ragorn questioned.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:17 pm

Teflor Lyorian wrote:They did save us $900 billion. By not taking it away from the people by force through taxes.

Do you also believe that your college "saved" you $50,000 by offering you a student loan, instead of taking the money from you by force through tuition?
- Ragorn
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:08 pm

Ragorn wrote:
Teflor Lyorian wrote:They did save us $900 billion. By not taking it away from the people by force through taxes.

Do you also believe that your college "saved" you $50,000 by offering you a student loan, instead of taking the money from you by force through tuition?

Your question neither parallels the situation nor resembles anything close to a comparison. In your college example, the power to borrow, spend, or deny is entirely in my individual hands - no one can compel me with force to do what I do not chose to do. In the taxation scenario, the government holds the power to borrow, spend, or deny funds for me, then has, can, and will continue to use force to implement those decisions I had little input in making.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)

Return to “Current Events & Politics”