Playing politics with immigration

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

Playing politics with immigration

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:37 am

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/19/ar ... on-policy/

An Arizona sheriff says he has been flooded with calls and emails of support from local and federal agents who back his claims that the U.S. Border Patrol has effectively ordered them to stop apprehending illegal immigrants crossing the U.S.-Mexican border.

== He claims border agents are turning back illegal aliens and that they were ordered to by management.

“Upper management has advised supervisors to have agents ‘turn back South’ (TBS) the illegal aliens (aka bodies) they detect attempting to unlawfully enter the country … at times you even hear supervisors order the agents over the radio to 'TBS' the aliens instead of catching them,” one San Diego border agent wrote in an email to Cochise County Sheriff Larry Dever.

== heard over the radio... but why would our government tell our border agents to not catch illegal aliens?

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has recently cited a reduction in border apprehensions as evidence of an increasingly secure border.

== hmmm ok now we have a theory

McCaskill went on to describe how, he said, apprehension numbers were regularly manipulated to achieve various budget, equipment or manpower goals.

== more than one apparently and history.

The union posted another response on their website following Fox News’ publication of Fisher’s April 6 letter to Dever:

“Just remember, for years now we have been told from the highest ranking managers in our agency that 'every apprehension is a FAILURE' (Johnny Williams - former INS Western Region Director), and that we 'are NOT immigration officers' (current CBP Deputy Commissioner David Aguilar to Border Patrol agents when he was the Chief of the Border Patrol)…. We have been told that - Apprehensions = failure, we are not 'immigration' officers, we should not 'lower' ourselves to the status of an immigration officer, and our primary job is not apprehending illegal aliens. Couple all this with Secretary Napolitano's recent public announcement about what she expects our apprehension numbers to be this fiscal year, and it's not hard to figure this thing out.”

== wow, i might actually have to thank a union.

A second Arizona sheriff, Paul Babeu of Pinal County, also testified at a Senate Homeland Security Committee last week in support of Dever’s charges.

== testifying at the senate... not just some wild claim.

Bonner said Border Patrol agents are receiving “TBS” orders from someone higher up, but he isn’t sure who.

“Agents don’t just do this on their own. The orders must come from on high. They don’t just wake up one day and say I’m going to risk my job, my livelihood,” said Bonner, who retired last year after 32 years with Border Patrol. “I’m not sure if it’s Napolitano or folks in Customs and Border Protection, but somebody wants to silence critics in Arizona to claim success in Arizona.”

== veteran for 32 years, think he might know something about how it is? probably.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Re: Playing politics with immigration

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:03 pm

TBS seems like an appropriate enforcement measure. Should document their biostats and strike them from ever gaining legal status here after three strikes.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:08 pm

I'd agree with that.

but of course that wouldn't be TBS because you'd have to capture them creating a measurable statistic. The point is to have artificially low statistics to demonstrate the border is safe.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:39 pm

This is hillarious... and a great question.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/az- ... ean-border

Babeu said that only 520 guardsmen are deployed in Arizona, a state with a 276-mile border with Mexico and the state that has, according to the Department of Homeland Security, the greatest influx of illegal aliens. In 2010, approximately 212,000 illegal aliens were seized in the Tucson sector of Arizona – or 47 percent of all illegal aliens taken into custody.

Babeu noted, for comparison, the 28,500 U.S. troops stationed in South Korea to help defend it against North Korean aggression; U.S. troops have been stationed in South Korea for 58 years.

== per wikipedia, the north/south korae border is 160 miles long.

I'm ready for them to come home and defend the southern border... and my mother is korean, married my dad and immigrated, fresh off the boat.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”