I don't know whether to laugh or cry or just say its coming.

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

I don't know whether to laugh or cry or just say its coming.

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:02 pm

Australia is thinking about killing 1 million camels to stop them from producing 1 ton of methane a year in greenhouse gases.

Cows and pigs produce a lot of methane as well and according to vegeterians and animal rights activists eating meat is a luxury of taste and cruelty.

Carbon dioxide is a dangerous green house gas according to the EPA. You and I expel carbon dioxide with every breath.

You do the math.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/06/ ... te-change/
Corth
Sojourner

Re: I don't know whether to laugh or cry or just say its com

Postby Corth » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:34 am

Who the hell knew there were millions of camels in Australia....
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:36 am

Camel wars anyone? TV needs a new show.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:51 am

Sure Kiryan, pick the most ridiculous reason for them doing it and run with that.... :)

The real reason is that the camels are completely destroying the natural habitat and overrunning the native species. Camels were not indigenous to Australia, but they have nothing here to check and balance them. The second reason is that they have figured out that they can harvest the meat and export it at a profit.

Aussies are very protective over their native species and habitats; they learned that they had to be when the cane toad was introduced by sugar plantation owners to protect the sugar crops. The introduction of the cane toad is considered one of the worst ecological blunders in the history of the country.

The camels are not as bad as cane toads, but they are getting overpopulated.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:42 pm

lol fair enough... theres probably lots of reasons why aussies want to get rid of the camels, but the article is based off a paper from the Australian "Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency" and specificallys notes the amount of methane saved by killing off the camels. Methane is a green house gas and I believe its about 20x worse than CO2.

"The suggestion came in a paper from the country's Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency."

Yes, your farts are destroying the environment. Actually termites are the worst of the methane producers, they'res hundreds of trillions of them (thats a made up number) and they produce a lot of methane due to their digestion of wood. I rememeber reading about that 20 years ago.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”