guy robs bank for $1 to get free health care

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
Kindi
Sojourner

guy robs bank for $1 to get free health care

Postby Kindi » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:43 pm

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/bank- ... ailed.html

"Verone says he’s not a political man. But he has a lot to say on the subject of socialized medical care. He suspects he wouldn’t be talking to a reporter through a metal screen wearing an orange jumpsuit if such an option were available in the U.S.

“If you don’t have your health you don’t have anything,” said Verone. The man has high hopes with his recent incarceration. He has seen several nurses and has an appointment with a doctor Friday.

The ideal scenario would include back and foot surgery and a diagnosis and treatment of the protrusion on his chest, he said. He would serve a few years in prison and get out in time to collect Social Security and move to the beach."
Corth
Sojourner

Re: guy robs bank for $1 to get free health care

Postby Corth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:50 pm

Your link didn't work for me but I found the one below:

http://www.9news.com/news/sidetracks/20 ... ealth-care

Interesting story. The guy seems perfectly rational in doing what he is doing. And it does seem to highlight a bit of an irony: Those incarcerated get better health care than poor people who abide by the law. Though perhaps some might argue that criminals shouldn't get such good health care.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:40 pm

Few years, maybe a decade ago i read a story about homeless people doing the same thing. One guy even got thrown in jail during the winter cuz he didn't want to sleep in the cold/rain. I don't think the risk vs reward equation works even for these guys... There are shelters.

Also consider retarded things like the "kidney" transplant story a few months ago, release these two sisters who were convicted of violent, premeditated robbery. basically, the back story that wasn't talked about was they let her out of prison because in prison, the state pays for the transplant... on the outside, the state splits the cost of a transplant with medicare. Sure they dressed up as having paid their debt to society, but really it was about money.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:22 am

I hope this dude doesn't get shived in the kidney while he's incarcerated. I don't think my tax wallet could take it!
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)

Return to “Current Events & Politics”