Jon Daily Goodness

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
Todrael
Sojourner

Jon Daily Goodness

Postby Todrael » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:48 pm

Realized the old thread was in General, decided to restart it here.

Jon Stewart on Fox News Sunday, talking about the political machine. Good stuff.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Re: Jon Daily Goodness

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Chris Wallace did not do a good job interviewing Jon Stewart. Also, I'm upset that he didn't like South Park.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:10 pm

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... -are-most/

Jon Stewart says those who watch Fox News are the "most consistently misinformed media viewers"

rated FALSE.

basically, fox is not bottom and specifically some of Fox's political shows like John's are rated higher than Johns. Comparing John's show to cable news is apples to oranges based on viewership... Fox also generally rates better than their competitors in the same survey's. Dependign on how you slice the data, you can explain or complain about Fox viewers being "misinformed", but they are clearly not "consistently across the board the most consistently misinformed media viewers"
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Since Stewart was referring to "media viewers," this doesn’t undercut his point. However, the data includes an important counterpoint to Stewart’s claim: Viewers of at least one show on Fox scored quite well -- The O’Reilly Factor, of whom 51 percent made it into the high knowledge group. That made it equal to National Public Radio -- a longtime target of conservative complaints about liberal media bias -- and only three percentage points behind Stewart’s own show, at 54 percent.

Wow. So Fox News has ONE show that ALMOST gets viewers as correctly informed as a comedy show? Amazing! Such vindication!

Of course, the actual Fox News channel itself ranked at the bottom... which is pretty much what John said, right?

(I'm guessing that people who say they watch a specific show pay more attention to news than those who just say they watch Fox NEws or Comedy Central. But who knows, it does seem odd to compare specific shows to networks at all if you ask me.)
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:31 pm

Actually, John handled this pretty well too:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-j ... statements
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Sarvis wrote:Of course, the actual Fox News channel itself ranked at the bottom... which is pretty much what John said, right?

Along with the other news channels. Learn to read.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Sarvis wrote:Wow. So Fox News has ONE show that ALMOST gets viewers as correctly informed as a comedy show? Amazing! Such vindication!

Actually, this is what PolitiFact said:

"Meanwhile, particular Fox shows -- such as The O’Reilly Factor and Sean Hannity’s show -- actually score consistently well, occasionally even outpacing Stewart’s own audience."

Sarvis wrote:Of course, the actual Fox News channel itself ranked at the bottom... which is pretty much what John said, right?

Actually, this is what PolitiFact said:

"Fox isn’t the lowest"

Additionally, this is what Jon Stewart said:

"Who are the most consistently misinformed media viewers? The most consistently misinformed? Fox, Fox viewers, consistently, every poll."

And PolitiFact said:

"The evidence needs to support the view that the data shows they are "consistently" misinformed -- a term he used not once but three times. It’s simply not true that "every poll" shows that result. So we rate his claim False."

This is why PolitiFact gave it a False, and why Stewart "apologized" for his mistake(lie), like a brat forced to apologize: he pointed his finger at the other guy and said "BUT HE DID THAT"; thus attempting to deflect his own lie (or biased mistake!) unto Fox.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:37 pm

He may have been technically wrong, but his actual point is that Fox is a shitty, shitty source of news whose best shows rival comedians for keeping the populace informed.

So what he said may have been false, but the point he was trying to get across is true.

More to the point, if you look at the lies John featured in his clip you can see that they are ALL designed for one reason: To make Democrats look bad. Meanwhile John's "lie" was basically overstating the truth about a news organization who, stay with me here, consistently tries to make a specific political party look bad.

But as long as you're ok with that, please keep telling us how this comedian is acting like a "frat boy."

Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Here, the range of results was much wider. Once again, Fox News was just about at the national average -- 19 percent of Fox viewers scored in the high knowledge category, compared to 18 percent of all respondents -- but this time a handful of news outlets scored lower than Fox did. With scores ranging from 17 percent all the way down to 9 percent, they were CNBC, local television news, network news, morning news shows, television newsmagazines, personality magazines, religious radio, the Weather Channel, CBS News, Access Hollywood and similar shows, and in last place, the National Enquirer.

2008 Fox beat NBC, CBS

Fox actually scored better than its two direct cable-news rivals -- MSNBC, which is a liberal counterpoint to Fox, and CNN, which is considered more middle-of-the-road. Also scoring lower than Fox were local television news, the evening network news shows and the network morning shows.

2010 Fox beats MSNBC and CNN

QED
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Sarvis wrote:More to the point, if you look at the lies John featured in his clip you can see that they are ALL designed for one reason: To make Democrats look bad. Meanwhile John's "lie" was basically overstating the truth about a news organization who, stay with me here, consistently tries to make a specific political party look bad.

But as long as you're ok with that, please keep telling us how this comedian is acting like a "frat boy."

Stewart, and other popular Liberal entertainers, focus their anti-Conservative efforts against Fox News. On the same page of Hypocrisy, they usually do not admit to a Liberal bias in other stations or the media. Just look at what he said in that interview. They refuse to do it. All they will do is say that it is a career that attracts liberals, but not that there is a blatant bias, especially in some networks, including NEWS networks. So when you say things like:

"the truth about a news organization who, stay with me here, consistently tries to make a specific political party look bad"

Which news organization are you referring to? The NY Times? The Washington Post? CNN? MSNBC? CBS? Fox? etc.

And yes, Jon acted like a fray boy in the interview, and in his spoiled brat apology on his show. The umbrella of "it's only a comedy show" started showing signs of wear and tear awhile ago. Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, etc. only have talk entertainment shows too apparently.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Of course there just _has_ to be a liberal agenda right? Only possibility isn't it? Couldn't be that John is right, because he's a dirty liberal!

There's no possible way that a media outlet could have a bias towards lazy (aka cheap) journalism and sensasionalist (aka high rating) news. They MUST be doing the same thing you are. Because everyone is like you.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:23 pm

He's a partisan hack - albeit a funny one.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Corth wrote:He's a partisan hack - albeit a funny one.

A partisan hack who's voted Republican in the past and regularly makes fun of Democrats and Obama. Right.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm sure he has done plenty of things in the past he is embarassed about. There is a clear difference in the way he makes fun of Dems and Republicans. With Dems we are laughing with them. With Republicans we are laughing at them. Which is fine, really. I have no problem with it at all. But that's what it is.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:52 pm

/agree on the partsian
/doubley so on the funny

to a lesser degree a hack. He's somewhere between legitimate and a hack. I don't watch his show regularly.

He is however straight from the liberal play book. Promote a liberal agenda while passing yourself off as somethign else... a comedy show a teacher etc...
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Corth wrote:I'm sure he has done plenty of things in the past he is embarassed about. There is a clear difference in the way he makes fun of Dems and Republicans. With Dems we are laughing with them. With Republicans we are laughing at them. Which is fine, really. I have no problem with it at all. But that's what it is.

He didn't seem embarrassed at all to admit it, he even said he voted for Bush I because he seemed more respectable than the alternative.

If you think the difference is between laughing with and laughing at... well, I think the only real difference may be your perception.

Especially since over the last few years he's gone after the media itself as much as politicians and his big gripe seems to be how crappy the media is doing.

Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:32 pm

Sarvis wrote:

A partisan hack who's voted Republican in the past and regularly makes fun of Democrats and Obama. Right.

I know PLENTY of people who label themselves liberal and democrat who vote each year for the same Republican congresswoman. But they still vote Democrat 98% of the time, and still refer to themselves as Liberal. I voted for a Democrat for Governor. What does a one time deal mean exactly? Nothing.

Same goes for making fun of Democrats and Obama. What percentage of the time? In what regards? How? No way it's even close.

Same playbook too = never admit to being that which you are being labeled; even though it has no negative connotations. If you blush when asked a question, chances are the answer is yes.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:41 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:
Sarvis wrote:

I know PLENTY of people who label themselves liberal and democrat who vote each year for the same Republican congresswoman. But they still vote Democrat 98% of the time, and still refer to themselves as Liberal. I voted for a Democrat for Governor. What does a one time deal mean exactly? Nothing.

It means you're not partisan. It means that even if you're a Democrat you can vote for the other guy when they are a better candidate. If that person was partisan, they would only vote for their candidate. That's kind of the point.

Voting for candidates based on their actual merit is nonpartisan.

Same goes for making fun of Democrats and Obama. What percentage of the time? In what regards? How? No way it's even close.

Are you sure? Have you watched the show enough to know? I actually don't watch much lately, but when I do watch I see him making fun of the media more than anything else. He has plenty of shots for Obama though. But I'd bet money that whoever he takes the most shots at in a given day is ALSO the person who was in the news the most the day before (since his show is delayed by 1 day.)

Same playbook too = never admit to being that which you are being labeled; even though it has no negative connotations. If you blush when asked a question, chances are the answer is yes.

I didn't see him blush. Again, your perception here. Sure, never admit to what you are being labeled... and make sure you drag the other guy into the same mud you're in.

All John has been saying is that the media, ALL of it, has been doing a shitty job. But he attacks Fox news and suddenly all the Republicans have to claim he's a partisan hack.
Last edited by Sarvis on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Yea I don't see him so much as a hack.

however, I agree with adriorn, he mostly attacks republicans. Recently, like in the last year, i've seen him start calling Democrats and Obama out... but what is it that the chinese say about a drop in the ocean? its still a big blue ocean dude.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:14 am

Sarvis wrote:I didn't see him blush. Again, your perception here. Sure, never admit to what you are being labeled... and make sure you drag the other guy into the same mud you're in.

No no, that's just a saying. He didn't blush, but when asked about this topic he side-stepped a real answer. Thus the blushing = yes.

Sarvis wrote:All John has been saying is that the media, ALL of it, has been doing a shitty job. But he attacks Fox news and suddenly all the Republicans have to claim he's a partisan hack.

I think he says that alot; attacking all media and whatnot. I just think the majority of the time he's targeting Conservative media. Look at his show's website on the Comedy Central website and you'll notice most of the little snippets or recaps have something to do with Conservative TV or radio people. It doesn't mean he doesn't go after other people as well, but again, the majority of the time? Don't think so.

Not a hack btw, but definitely partisan. He's smart, and he knows he is.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:12 am

Have you considered that Fox News just gives him more to work with?

Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Sarvis wrote:Have you considered that Fox News just gives him more to work with?

This is an illegitimate argument. News media from every network provides an endless source of material.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:46 pm

are you saying with a straight face that john is equal opportunity? non partsian? srlsy?

his demographic is young educated people who tend to vote democrat. its no wonder he sources all his material on making fun of the right. Its what his viewers want to see. He built up his show enough that he can make fun of dems now too (and has to or the GOP bashing gets old and repetitive), but its still lopsided and rightfully so... he's not fair and balanced news. He's a comedy show, but the way he keeps flirting with being "serious"... and pretending to be non partsian is the agenda... I'm an academic, I'm pushing a leftist agenda, but its just being open minded. bullshit, its an agenda wearing a cloak of academic prestige.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:49 pm

A cloak of academic prestige? Educated young democrats?

Try potheads and college students/yuppies.

It's kind of funny though, when he bashes Republicans/Fox he's being partisan. When he bashes Democrats/All-Other-Media he's just trying to keep his material fresh.

Confirmation bias FTW!

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Yes he started his show with bashing the right. In the last year he's diversified. You explain it. Bipartsianship by year? Try some intellectual honesty.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Ok, I'll grant his first joke was against a Republican. His next few were about Clinton.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-j ... m-thurmond

It's fairly even, though he does make a couple jokes about Strom Thurmond... but if you think that's about partisanship, rather than old age being funny, then... well you probably confuse speedboats with battleships.

Oh... wait...

Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:56 pm

You really think the vast majority of Jon's gripes aren't about the right? Jon himself admits to it.

Sarvis, you have no argument. You're the one chasing battleships.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:13 pm

Seems that he poked the bees nest. More Jon Stewart vs. Fox News.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ

Return to “Current Events & Politics”