Switching mobs.

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Galkar
Sojourner

Switching mobs.

Postby Galkar » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:02 am

Lower the chance for a mob to switch. Level 30 and lower mobs switch instantly when using pets, almost seems no fail sometimes! Gets nasty on some of lower levels when the blinds fail/drop. I don't mind mobs switching mind you, but sheesh.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:44 am

My advice is one of two things, tog wimpy high, or make a macro to have your spirit tank rescue you, and hope he's quick enough.

Toplack
"In the immortal words of Socrates, I drank What?!" Real Genius
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:07 am

I liked the third option of posting on BBS that it seems mobs can switch a little too well :) The point of servants is to have them do something for you, currently it seems for little necros/shamans this is just as a light to send into next room?
Klandal
Sojourner

Switching...

Postby Klandal » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:26 am

I have recently been playing a shaman and definitely think mob switching should be looked at. They seem nearly nofail when switching and do so often. Spirits can't be ordered to rescue while you're casting, and even when ordered to rescue they are horrible at it and kick lagged.

Is there a way to tell your spirit to stop kicking so it can perform actions when called upon? It also seems to me that spirit skills are dependent on level, which would explain poor rescue performance. Shouldn't mob skills, such as switch opponents, be level dependent as well? I am certain PC fighters can't switch this well at lower levels.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:37 pm

Gort wrote:My advice is one of two things, tog wimpy high, or make a macro to have your spirit tank rescue you, and hope he's quick enough.

Toplack

Wimpy is high and I have a macro ;) But yeah, I'll send spirit on a mob, and barely a second later he switches to me. I'll flee the room, wait till he's back on spirit, walk back in, start to cast, and bam, he's switched to me again before the spell even goes off. Just think the switching is a bit to good.
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:11 pm

Galkar wrote:
Gort wrote:My advice is one of two things, tog wimpy high, or make a macro to have your spirit tank rescue you, and hope he's quick enough.

Toplack

Wimpy is high and I have a macro ;) But yeah, I'll send spirit on a mob, and barely a second later he switches to me. I'll flee the room, wait till he's back on spirit, walk back in, start to cast, and bam, he's switched to me again before the spell even goes off. Just think the switching is a bit to good.

Galkar, do this : Hex,blind, offensive. In that order.
After blind, you'll get rid of the switching, sacrifise a round or 2 of hitting if that what it takes to blind the mob.

/Colje :?
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:02 pm

Nods Colje, i'm just shy of getting hex atm, but I do use that order, since blind is only way to get rid of the switching. I suppose it'll get easier when my quick chant gets better, I hate failing qc and getting switched to and bashed before blind goes off.
Bilraex
Sojourner

Postby Bilraex » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:17 pm

haha when your quick chant gets better, thats funny
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:19 pm

Bilraex wrote:haha when your quick chant gets better, thats funny

Bad bad shamie!!!!

/Colje
thanuk
Sojourner

Re: Switching...

Postby thanuk » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:47 pm

Klandal wrote: Shouldn't mob skills, such as switch opponents, be level dependent as well? I am certain PC fighters can't switch this well at lower levels.

Im level 50, i have maxed switch opponents (85 for warriors) and i dont switch that well. I fail at least 2/5 if not more. Mobs seem to be nofail in switch, but that could be because there is no message for a failed switch opponents anymore. Maybe bring the message back for a failed attempt so we can see if the mobs ever fail when attempting to switch?
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:27 pm

I don't think the PC switch skill effects change of switching successfully. My warrior alt switches just as poorly back when I got the skill as he does now at level 42.
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:21 am

Buffalos are switching of my air elemental everytime I assist at 75-80% success as well as the bgr stuff earlier. Seems a little high and really takes the fun out having pets.....hopefully it's just a knob too high, cause they can't be failing or have no lag if they do fail an attempt.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:07 am

A fire mephit switches targets...
Noob panics, and attempts to flee.
Noob leaves south.

Your skin crawls as you hear a death cry nearby!
Noob has left the group.

By all means, I heartily encourage Option No. 1: tog wimpy high. :lol:
*ruffle Gort*
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:37 pm

FYI mob switch has been insane for a LOOOOONG time. This is especially true off of pets. What I have seen that helps is not assisting the pet before it is blind. My level 19 necro does not get switched to as much if I don't assist right away.

If you are fighting a mob that will own you in a round or two you may want to set up a trigger that aborts your spell and flees on switchs. I know I had this on as a lower level shaman and it helped a lot.

Of course when you get higher level your pet will rescue you. My spirit Tiger is a very good rescuer.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:59 pm

I never assist after I send a pet until a blind goes off. Of course, that's an offensive spell. Although, even when I don't cast, they still switch.

Hell, 2 days ago, I had an afk buddy following me, ungrouped mind you, only following me, I accidentally picked him back up when he left the group and was standing down the road afk. I didn't tog follow so I wouldn't loose my spirit (*cough* tog pet *cough*). I sent my spirit on a mob, the mob instantly, and I mean instantly switched to him! Explain that one :P
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:19 am

I'll explain it..

someone *whistle* has a heavy hand when it comes to tinkering with mob AI. Gods have used mob AI at times to make up for class imbalances rather than address the real underlying problems. This, of course, results in some unnatural and silly mob behavior. It also, invariably, creates twink opportunities. For instance, Dartan is the king of figuring out ways to use mob AI against the mobs...

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:03 am

Corth wrote:For instance, Dartan is the king of figuring out ways to use mob AI against the mobs...

Corth

Him and lili shoud get married!
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:38 am

old depok wrote:FYI mob switch has been insane for a LOOOOONG time. This is especially true off of pets. What I have seen that helps is not assisting the pet before it is blind. My level 19 necro does not get switched to as much if I don't assist right away.

I'm gettting seriously miffed with this... I spent all this time getting my shaman, and here's what happens every time:

< 308h/308H 124v/124V >
< P: std > w
order followers kick guard

cast 'blindness' guard
In a Hall of Splattered Walls
Room size: Large (L:25 ft W:80 ft H:25 ft)
Exits: -N -E
A platform guard patrols here keeping an eye on everything.
The spirit serpent glides in from the east.

< 308h/308H 123v/124V >
< P: std > Ok.
The spirit serpent misses a kick at a guard of the platform's groin.

< 308h/308H 123v/124V >
< P: std >
A guard of the platform switches targets..

< 308h/308H 124v/124V >
< P: std > You start chanting...

< 308h/308H 124v/124V >
Casting: blindness *****

< 308h/308H 124v/124V >
Casting: blindness ****

< 308h/308H 124v/124V >
Casting: blindness ***

< 308h/308H 124v/124V >
A guard of the platform hits you very hard.
OUCH! That really did HURT!
A guard of the platform hits you very hard.
OUCH! That really did HURT!

< 253h/308H 124v/124V >
< T: Sokos TC: small wounds E: platform EC: few wounds P: std >
Casting: blindness **

< 253h/308H 124v/124V >
< T: Sokos TC: small wounds E: platform EC: few wounds P: std >
You complete your spell...
Your spell seems to fail while trying to blind a guard of the platform.

OK, it doesn't happen every time, only 95%, but, sheesh! I never assist until the mob is blind, but, it insta-switches(TM) virtually every time, and the lag on ordering pets gets me beat down a lot. If that lag weren't there, it wouldn't be as bad, or, if they'd switch less.

How about some toning down of switching?

Eilorn.
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”