Why bother?(Tarrasque)

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Salen
Sojourner

Why bother?(Tarrasque)

Postby Salen » Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:47 pm

I have focused a little more since last night, but Why Bother?

Why bother calling something the Tarrasque when NONE of the things it does hold any resemblence to the unique D&D monster the name is swiped from(from here on referred to as THE Tarrasque)?

THE Tarrasque does insane damage, has huge DR, swallows people whole, cases fear in everything, and resists all lower magics. It kills entire countries and then wanders off to hibernate.

The tarrasque we fought yesterday, did no more damage than any other mob, CASTS SPELLS????, didn't eat anything (may have a proc like that but we didn't see it) and died very easily.

It went from being an enormous destroyer og nations to a sideshow along the way to real fights. You might as well call it a frost giant mage or something. While the rest of what is around it may be interesting and new, the mob itself is just sad and lame.

Change the name or change the mob, I don't really care which.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:03 pm

8)

I don't know what Tarrasque you're talking about- but the one in DnD is a big wuss.
Alomlim
Sojourner

And another thing!

Postby Alomlim » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:04 pm

What about Saukuraskan, Destroyer of Worlds? Sure he can lay the hurt on but I don't see the world collapsing.

-Alomlim/Soroth
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:25 pm

I thought his name was sakaslan..i'm retarded
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:13 am

Yawn.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
watashi420
Sojourner

Why bother?(Tarrasque)

Postby watashi420 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:16 am

The Tarrasque in DnD wasnt a wuss, hehehehe. One of the most prominent things i remember about the Tarrasque offhand was that it was a monster you had to get to -40 hps and then use the spell 'wish' to wish it to die, along with being impervious (sp?) to lower magics, ect ect ect. doesnt sound wussy to me

§pecial K
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:23 am

Let's rename the Tarrasque Gormal and start a player class for Tarrasques. That's all.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:32 am

Hey salen, I dunno if that was the real one or not, based on what we found and how it died etc. Think we need to figure out more and what to do with the thing we got first.
Emarin
Sojourner

Postby Emarin » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:32 am

I've heard of the tarrasque in DnD, and while I agree that the tarrasque here is not as strong as the tarrasque in DnD, there are simple changes that can be made to fix it.

1) his so called resistence to magic can be fixed, just let it have the ability to shrug off spells. (How many of us would love to see it shrug off a couple force missiles? :) )

2) Jack his HP up, add a couple (x)K hitpoints

3) i've seen the swallow proc, but am not quite sure how often it occurs, and whether the chance should be increased. If you make it more frequent, players going to complain about lop-sided battles.

4) Not sure if this is already true, but make his belly once swallowed !magic. Once he was dead, i was able to enter the stomach and cast spells, not sure if you can when it is alive.

5) your idea here...

Glad the coders put tarrasque back in though, thanks.
Dartan tells you '*roll*'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:52 pm

8)

The tarrasque in DnD is a CR 20 monster. That means 4 level 20 characters (50 in Sojourn3) can take it out with only using 20% of their resources. So the Tarrasque in Sojourn3 is considerably more beefy since it probably takes more than 4 level 50 characters to take him on in a head to head battle. Also, the tarrasque in DnD can be cheesed a lot easier than the one in Sojourn3. I'm sure a single level 17 wizard can take out a tarrasque if he puts his mind to it. That's not the case in Sojourn3, so I think the Tarrasque might need to be toned down a little if it is to reflect the tarrasque in DnD..
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:55 pm

Yayaril wrote:8)

The tarrasque in DnD is a CR 20 monster. That means 4 level 20 characters (50 in Sojourn3) can take it out with only using 20% of their resources. So the Tarrasque in Sojourn3 is considerably more beefy since it probably takes more than 4 level 50 characters to take him on in a head to head battle. Also, the tarrasque in DnD can be cheesed a lot easier than the one in Sojourn3. I'm sure a single level 17 wizard can take out a tarrasque if he puts his mind to it. That's not the case in Sojourn3, so I think the Tarrasque might need to be toned down a little if it is to reflect the tarrasque in DnD..

Don't forget that in DnD, theres probably a *handful* of lvl 20 characters around (if any).

Whereas here, you can swing a dead halfling without hitting a bunch of lvl 50s sitting at 1w.

Also, in DnD most of the ppl in the world are lvl 0, with armies composed of mostly lvl 1-5's ... or like 10-15ish in Toril.

Get an army of lvl 10-15 PCs in Toril, and you'll see the Tarrasque eat through them like butter, just like DnD ;)
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:24 am

8)

We're talking about Faerun and Forgotten Realms here, Chandigar. THe Forgotten Realms is host to some of the most powerful characters ever, and if you've paged through the Faerun handbook for 3rd edition, there's tons of NPCs who are over level 20. Heck, Khelban Blackstaff could kill the tarrasque without too much problem, and everyone knows that Ed Greenwood's wetdream, Elminster, character could blast the tarrasque off the face of the planet without blinking an eye. Forgotten Realms is definitely the realm for the powergamer and there's more than enough high level characters there for the tarrasque to hardly be the most threatening thing around. If the Tarrasque decided to attack Waterdeep in Faerun, the results would be a dozen eaten peasants, some devoured livestock and one flattened tarrasque.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:39 am

nobody else found it funny how tarrasque was out of game for 2 procs?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Pheten
Sojourner

Postby Pheten » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:49 pm

Personally I find it funny that the mud bitches and whines and moans when he is not in, (which I also bitched about). But then when he finally gets back in people bitch and moan that he isnt hard enough. Even if they had added him in and he had been a badass people would have bitched about that too. Seems like every single upgrade or fix that staff do anymore people cry and pitch a fit over. Honestly Shev and Co. I don't know how you guys keep doing it, I woulda said screw this long ago.
-feet
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:15 pm

Pheten wrote:Personally I find it funny that the mud bitches and whines and moans when he is not in, (which I also bitched about). But then when he finally gets back in people bitch and moan that he isnt hard enough. Even if they had added him in and he had been a badass people would have bitched about that too. Seems like every single upgrade or fix that staff do anymore people cry and pitch a fit over. Honestly Shev and Co. I don't know how you guys keep doing it, I woulda said screw this long ago.
-feet

Downgrade a$$kissers!!! They're as good at what they do as us whiners.
Pheten
Sojourner

Postby Pheten » Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:57 pm

It's not asskissing, it's being sick of reading the constant bitches every time I come on this board anymore, gets old quick.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:12 pm

8)

That's what this board is used for, Pheten. The obvious course of action would be to not read this board.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:15 pm

OMG!!! :shock:

Rename it The Grumbling Grenann!

Oh Please! Please! Please! Please! :mrgreen:

THAT WOULD BE SOOOO COOOOOL!!!!!! :twisted:

-LL
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:28 am

i don't care how weak he is, i'm just pissed about more stupid rare loads
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:55 am

The Tarrasque is no longer the D&D poster-monster. He's a CR 20 like others have said. However, with the introduction of the Epic Level Handbook, the Tarrasque and CR 20 become mere speedbumps. For those who haven't read the ELH, here's a sample of a more... suitable challenge.

Adamantine Golem:

Hit Dice: 54d10 (297hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20 ft.
AC: 37 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +30 natural)
Attacks: 2 slams +58 melee
Damage: 6d10 +20 (26-80, 53 average)
Saves: 18/17/18
Damage Reduction: 50/+7 (good luck)
Spell Resistance: Completely immune to all magical spells and effects.
Abilities: Str 51, Dex 9, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
CR 25

Special Attacks:
Trample - As a standard action, 8d10 +30 to any Large or smaller creature.

Or how about this guy?

Phaethon
Hit Dice: 62d8 +806 (1302 hp)
Initiative: +15
Speed: 120 ft.
AC: 47
Attacks: 8 slams +83 melee
Damage: Slam 4d8 +24 plus 2d6 fire (49 average each)
Saves: 48/42/39
Damage Reduction: 40/+8
Spell Resistance: 46
Special Immunities: Polymorph, petrification, mind-altering, energy drain, ability drain, ability damage, death from massive damage, fire (20) cold (20), poison, sleep, critical hits, flanking, blindness.

Special Abilities: Nondetection, true sight, blindsight 500 ft, telepathy 1,000 ft. At will: Fireball, fire storm, delayed blast fireball, flame strike, wall of fire. 1/day: scrying. Regeneration (25), Fast healing (25). Caster level 34.
Abilities: Str 58, Dex 25, Con 36, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 39
CR 25

Special Attacks:
Fiery Touch: Touching this thing deals you 2d6 fire damage.
Improved Grab/Swallow Whole.
Fiery Overrun: Anyone overrun by a Phaethon is considered swallowed.

And that's not even the biggest one. There's a CR 57 in here :)
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:15 pm

If the DM is REALLY evil, they could also make use of the stat write ups for Cthulu and his friends in the back of the d20 Call of Cthulu game too 8)
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:56 pm

FR may be overpowered, but check this out for a Greyhawk rumble featuring the Tarrasque:

http://www.peldor.com/chapters/story250.html
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”