Clerics

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Ulnd/Folrath
Sojourner

Clerics

Postby Ulnd/Folrath » Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:46 pm

While I would agree that clerics are fairly balanced, I find myself wishing we are more like cleric's are supposed to be in AD&D. In AD&D clerics actually wield weapons and wear shields and are on the front lines so to speak. I'm not sure how it changed but a few years ago clerics were indeed like this. Then we all became hp crazed somehow. Perhaps it is the general trend away from melee damage to spell damage and the removal of haste gear(who wants to haste a cleric?). Either way, I miss it.

Maybe we could have a new class of battle clerics or something. A mix between warrior and cleric. A cleric with some warrior skills and a full heal that only does about 250 hp instead of 400. Could give this cleric a blade barrier spell, which is a traditional clerical spell anyways. Of course this cleric couldn't tank as well or have the bash skill even. It might even eliminate the need for 2 clerics in a group; just have 1 cleric and 1 battle cleric.

I'm sure it would require a lot of balancing that I haven't thought of, but I just like the idea :P. Especially the blade barrier part.

Ulnd
Deltin
Sojourner

Re: Clerics

Postby Deltin » Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:20 pm

Ulnd/Folrath wrote:While I would agree that clerics are fairly balanced, I find myself wishing we are more like cleric's are supposed to be in AD&D. In AD&D clerics actually wield weapons and wear shields and are on the front lines so to speak. I'm not sure how it changed but a few years ago clerics were indeed like this. Then we all became hp crazed somehow. Perhaps it is the general trend away from melee damage to spell damage and the removal of haste gear(who wants to haste a cleric?). Either way, I miss it.

Maybe we could have a new class of battle clerics or something. A mix between warrior and cleric. A cleric with some warrior skills and a full heal that only does about 250 hp instead of 400. Could give this cleric a blade barrier spell, which is a traditional clerical spell anyways. Of course this cleric couldn't tank as well or have the bash skill even. It might even eliminate the need for 2 clerics in a group; just have 1 cleric and 1 battle cleric.

I'm sure it would require a lot of balancing that I haven't thought of, but I just like the idea :P. Especially the blade barrier part.

Ulnd

maybe somethings will change after the gear overhaul, but really what you are describing is a Paladin.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:24 pm

whistle...

Cleric haste item...

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:41 pm

8)

I haste the cleric if I happen to see them wielding a weapon...
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:50 pm

Even Kaln!

Wheres Ebgar for Rockcrusher mayhem?!
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:55 pm

Why would you wanna wield with a sweet spell like full harm?
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:17 pm

Believe me I'd love to wear a shield and wield a cool wep. I use skullshasmer now and then, but the fact is that cleric eq is mostly +hp based, and we don't have any reasonable shields to choose from that can come close to competing with held items. A shield with good hps and maxwis to compete with those orbs and a little ac would rock. Same deal with the weapons, there aren't any alternitives that compete with held items, except maybe the seelie staff, but damage dice on that are really just a novelty :P
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:48 pm

SPOB shield Ry, but that doesn't make it useful... It's no different than holding a nebbie (different stats no real 'shield' ability).

Even if it was capped in at 35, shield block would make it useful.
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:04 am

I know it's been posted quite often about the need for blade barrier. I feel it's certainly not overpowering for this class. If it were 6th circle as in AD&D, and you go by globe resisting 6th and under, it won't make a cleric any kind of supernatural. All big mobs worthy of struggle won't be affected by bbarier, so y not? 9th and 10th circles are so freaking boring for clerics. Res or greater realm! Greater realm is nothing more than a time saver. Is it really worthy of the maximum circle?

Hey! Let's not forget the greatest offense from clerics!

< 1050h/1050H 133v/133V >
< T: Cleric TC: excellent E: troll EC: bleeding badly and dying P: std >
You cast 'full harm' and the troll says 'Ha ha! Ha ha! That Tickles!'
A young troll seems refreshed! A young troll clambers to its feet.
< T: Cleric TC: excellent E: troll EC: excellent P: std >

What I would really like to see is a blunt only dual wielding (!shield allowed at all) cleric without specialize healing and midrange offense melee from warrior/cleric. Could parry but no shieldblock, couldn't bash, but could headbutt. After all if you stun yourself you can't cast. Almost seems like the class would be dwarf/duergar/orc only. Also, I'd see it as fair to allow 'word of recall' but not 'planeshift.' Somewhat same sacrifice as lich. Makes me think of bard hybrid. Rescues and so forth could have lower caps as well. I definitely don't see Paladin as a clerical warrior only because it's align restricted. Totally limits zoning, etc.

Battle Cleric Rescue!

For Dwarves it could be <Minion> of Tempus and for duergar/orc perhaps <Carnager> of Garagos.
Ulnd/Folrath
Sojourner

Postby Ulnd/Folrath » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:32 am

Yeah, I mostly just want a new 10th circle spell. Just bored of the two I got and an interesting spell might be cool for 10th circle.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:05 am

Ulnd/Folrath wrote:Yeah, I mostly just want a new 10th circle spell. Just bored of the two I got and an interesting spell might be cool for 10th circle.

I agree. After using Xassis for a couple weeks straight, then going back to korris one night, it felt so boring. Just comparing pris vs every area i have as a voker. Pris i'm always paying attention, seeing what nifty things i did!

Thunderblast is even fun if you stun a couple things :)

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”