Necros raising undead

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Dalar
Sojourner

Necros raising undead

Postby Dalar » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:11 am

Why can't necros raise undead? If i'm fighting a spirit why can't i bind its soul and use it for my own?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:51 am

Hmm last i checked necros could raise undead.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:12 am

No i mean raise undead mobs.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:02 am

"ANIMATE X"
Spell.

Area of effect: <corpse>
Aggressive: No
Cumulative: No
Duration: Animation lasts until the undead follower dies
Class/Circle: Necromancer Xth
Type of spell: Necromancy

"Animate X" allows the necromancer to animate up to a certain number
of X (the precise number is dependent on the proficiency of
the caster).

The corpses will follow the necromancer for a limited time or until their
destruction. A corpse can only be animated once. Using this spell
to animate player corpses is prohibited until pkill is implemented.

See also: ORDER, PRESERVE, PETS

If a mob is undead it can't or shouldn't be able to be raised again, because it has already been raised once.

Are you talking about command undead?

"COMMAND UNDEAD"
Spell.

Area of effect: <undead victim>
Aggressive: Yes
Cumulative: No
Duration: Dependent on the proficiency of the caster
Class/Circle: Necromancer/Anti-Paladin 2nd, Cleric/Dire Raider 3rd, Shaman 5th
Type of spell: Generic

This spell attemts to wrestle control of an undead follower from another
master.

NOTE: Good aligned clerics cannot use this spell.
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:12 am

wow i didn't know that already thanks! i have a lvl 50 lich.

what i'm asking is why can't necros raise something that was already dead? if i bound its soul again i should be able to control it

mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Re: Necros raising undead

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:21 am

Dalar wrote:Why can't necros raise undead?

Ok guess that confused me.. carry on I'll ignore your ramblings. And just a FYI I don't give a damn enough about you to keep track of your characters.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:02 am

1) read posts carefully
2) you don't have to keep track of my characters. hell don't even respond to my posts

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:12 am

everyone should follow #2
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:54 am

Dalar wrote:1) read posts carefully
2) you don't have to keep track of my characters. hell don't even respond to my posts

Dalar's Question: Why can't he re-raise undead pets that get killed. When you try to cast 'animate (insert undead here)' on a corpse of an undead pet that died while under your control, you get a "you can't do that message"
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:19 pm

You can't animate undead corpses primarily because it would remove the need to find fresh mobs to animate, and the importance of keeping your undead alive.

Otherwise, you could just continually raise the same corpse over and over again when it died...
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:31 pm

A long time ago when I first suggested re-animating previously animated corpses, I also added that, when cast on an undead corpse, the spell should deduct levels from the previous level the mob was. Re-animating a level 35 wraith, and you get a level 30 wraith. That would make it very balanced in my opinion, and still allow us to raise death knights from crypts and such.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:34 pm

That's an interesting idea, Todrael - I'll give it some thought.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:37 pm

To keep it even more in balance, and to avoid silly things like the wraith of a ghast of a wight of a death knight, it should be a single 'reanimate' spell that's has level restrictions for the caster and corpse, etc, and will only bring the corpse back to unlife instead of making into any new kind of undead. 'The animated corpse of the death knight stands here'. If it was flagged wraith, it would be wraith, if it was flagged ghoul, it would be ghoul, with the corresponding skills/spells. I'm not sure if undead NPCs are correctly flagged to make this work, however. Just my thoughts.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:03 pm

Shevarash wrote:You can't animate undead corpses primarily because it would remove the need to find fresh mobs to animate, and the importance of keeping your undead alive.

Otherwise, you could just continually raise the same corpse over and over again when it died...

I wasn't aiming to keep my own undead 'alive'. In zones like spob that are filled with undead, I have very few targets to raise. I don't see why I can capture the soul of a ghost/spirit and turn it into a wraith/ghost that I can use. Also it would be hard to keep your undead alive this way I think because they can't soul bind themselves right?

Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:11 pm

Dalar wrote:I wasn't aiming to keep my own undead 'alive'. In zones like spob that are filled with undead, I have very few targets to raise. I don't see why I can capture the soul of a ghost/spirit and turn it into a wraith/ghost that I can use. Also it would be hard to keep your undead alive this way I think because they can't soul bind themselves right?

My guess would be that if they are already ghosts/wraiths someone else has already captured their soul.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:15 pm

I smell another fun happy lich only spell!

Hurrah!
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:11 pm

The way I'm understanding his question is that 'Why can't you raise, for example, a meilich(sp?) spectre or lich?' (I don't know which type of undead just rot when they die) I agree that if an NPC was undead from the start, you should get one shot to raise it, as with any other NPC. In some zones, if all the mobs are already undead, it'd be a bit of a pain to get extra critters.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:17 pm

I never actually read this thread before and I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter now, but yes, pets can't soul bind themselves:P When I get bored I like to see what pets can and can't do. Discovered this by accident and got a descent laugh.
Taleer
Sojourner

Postby Taleer » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:02 pm

Shevarash wrote:You can't animate undead corpses primarily because it would remove the need to find fresh mobs to animate, and the importance of keeping your undead alive.

There is something very wrong with this quote...I'm not sure what it is, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the whole keeping the dead alive thing. I always get confused when I talk about or with flesh creepers.
Team Cyric!

Fleeing is for wimps.
Could some one help me find where I left all my corpses?

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”