Rolling stats

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Rolling stats

Postby Teyaha » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:22 am

after the mud came up for the public it was announced we could have two rollers running at a time to make a char. that has apparantly since changed.

the problem with that is rolls like this...

Your basic stats:
Strength: average Power: bad
Dexterity: mundane Intelligence: mighty
Agility: average Wisdom: mundane
Constitution: mundane Charisma: mighty

Explanation of stats:
Bad: 25-50 Mundane: 51-65 Average: 66-75
Fair: 76-81 Good: 82-87 Mighty: 88-93
Heroic: 94-99 Perfect: 100

You may choose to reroll your character at this time. If you elect
to reroll, these stats will be erased and new ones rolled. To reroll,
select 'y' (or hit <return>). To keep this character, and continue
character generation, select 'n'.
Do you want to reroll this char (y/n) [y]: y

i'm trying to roll a drow necro. for 6 hours i've only had rolls like this..i'm only after..

Your basic stats:
Strength: fair Power: n/a
Dexterity: fair Intelligence: mighty
Agility: fair Wisdom: n/a
Constitution: good Charisma: n/a

Explanation of stats:
Bad: 25-50 Mundane: 51-65 Average: 66-75
Fair: 76-81 Good: 82-87 Mighty: 88-93
Heroic: 94-99 Perfect: 100

You may choose to reroll your character at this time. If you elect
to reroll, these stats will be erased and new ones rolled. To reroll,
select 'y' (or hit <return>). To keep this character, and continue
character generation, select 'n'.
Do you want to reroll this char (y/n) [y]: y

but i have yet to hit that with an autoroller.

yes, sometimes you can get it in 10 minutes, and for some 10 hours. the problem is that randomness. i believe no single stat should fall below average ever when rolling for all classes. if you were new to mudding and wanted to make a char but you knew that stats are important, how would you feel if you cant even play the game for the first day?

oh and before you start throwing flames just because i'm the author of this post, you all know perfectly well how much it sucks to be any class and have a really low strength and con.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:43 am

I would like to thank Savras for making a need to have a perfectly rolled char
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:49 am

not asking for a perfectly rolled character. quit paraphrasing what wasnt even said.

the roller should never roll a mundane or bad in stat that is key to all classes, mainly strength and con.

quite frankly strength and con should never be below 70 when rolled, and you know that just as well.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:04 am

You should see what the bard roller gives you... you can get stats that don't even meet the min for the class in the helpfiles :P
I gave up trying to roll one after 3 weeks, and I wasn't after any crazy high stats either, just something reasonable in the middle.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:16 am

Character rolling is the worst time I've spent on this mud.

There are a couple other classes I want to zone with, but I don't have the time to get the stats I want to play them. Am I holding out for the godliest of godly stats? No, sure they're good, but not completly uber.

I tried rolling another alt this past summer. I spent 8-12 hours every day 2 months straight rolling (while I was sleeping and at work) and I had no luck.

It's pretty sad when you can level the character to 50 in less time then it takes to actually roll the damn thing.

And ya know what? Yes, I do indeed remember how hard the roller used to be and how much easier it is now. But honeslty, that means shit to me. Please, please, please look into this.

Things like this, being able to store cursed items, and alt assoc are the relatively simple things to code but please the player base so very much.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:21 am

There's absolutely no reason to 'give away' stats. Look around you in classrooms. There are people less stronger, but smarter than others. There are people charming and mean, etc. We're quite lucky we can virtually shape our character before chosing. Rolling nowadays is so great compared to what it used to be. Unfortunately, if you desire grand stats, it'll probably take quite a bit of luck. Mages and clerics hardly have a need for strength, given weight reducing bags. There is a lot of warrior/rogue eq that's totally nice and gives substantial bonuses to con or strength..etc.

You are saying strength and con are 'key' to any class. That is not true.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:22 am

Con is the key to every class, that is inarguable.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Shuanerst
Sojourner

Postby Shuanerst » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:21 pm

I am going to have to respectfully disagree.

Changes to the character generation method affect the balance of power between the already rolled players and yet to be rolled players. Any change that favors the established player base, makes the mud less newbie friendly (you'll never be as good a player as your stats are always inferior). Any change that favors newly rolled characters alienates the established player base.

The only change I could see is an (optinal) alternate rolling method. Where you trade rolling time for top end quality. My suggestion would be to allow a character to preference order their stats (mage say int, agi, con, str), but lower the total ability points significantly.

I know I've rolled mages with naturally perfect charisma. I have a playable enchanter with a mighty power, but I'd prefer that mighty power be in a different stat. It's this randomness of which stat is rolled well that could be sped up. Of course to balance vs the older method the total ability points available would need to be lowered.

Autorolling is a long slow pain, but anything that alleviates it changes the balance of power based on when a character was rolled. As such, I am strongly against such changes.

I'd hate to see some of the older players downgraded (relatively), and I'd hate to see my new characters that I am contemplating be downgraded. The only time I'd be happy with such changes is in the case of a pwipe (and that's not happening), or if the newer method was not as good as a determined roller (say make it top out with about a 1 in 100,000 character (roughly 14 hrs of rolling at this time))

-Shuanerst

[I also think that no eq should be !load for very similar reasons. Change where it loads, or if it was removed for being overpowered, downgrade it, and don't remove it. ]
Shuanerst
Sojourner

Re: Rolling stats

Postby Shuanerst » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:33 pm

Teyaha wrote:i'm trying to roll a drow necro. for 6 hours i've only had rolls like this..i'm only after..

Your basic stats:
Strength: fair Power: n/a
Dexterity: fair Intelligence: mighty
Agility: fair Wisdom: n/a
Constitution: good Charisma: n/a

but i have yet to hit that with an autoroller.

To put it nicely, you've been really unlucky, or your autoroller is broken.

To get those stats I estimate you have a 1 in 6000 chance (I have 248 matches out of just under 1.5 million logged rolls for drow necro, drow enchanter, and yuanti invoker (assuming all mages have similar distribution of rolls (and this appears to be true)) it's just under a 1 in 6000 chance. I clock around 7000 rolls an hr. Rolling 42,000 times without a match (preboost) happens about 0.08% of the time.

Hence my conclusion that your autoroller is broken or you have had the worlds worst luck (ok, 1 out of every 1250 people will be as unlucky as you have been). However, I sleep at least 6 hrs per day. Just run it while you sleep, and you should wake up to a character (12 hrs (you already have 6) of rolling -> 1 in 1.5 million people is that unlucky :), at which point I'd be staring hard at my autoroller code)

-Shuanerst

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”