Zones, reboots and loading.

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Silsaterur
Sojourner

Zones, reboots and loading.

Postby Silsaterur » Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:41 am

Imagine the mud if...

Instead of all loading on reboot, zones loaded on a random timer determined at the previous load. And then only if there was nobody in the zone, or in rare cases, during.

I've seen it implemented with timers ranging from an hour to 40 hours. With mud uptimes of over 20 days.

How does it affect the mud?
No boot jumpers, campers and all that bs. Zones randomly loaded on boot and throught the day.

In addition, playercounts only ever lulled due to the pbase being mostly north american. This made it easier for noobs in the following ways, they were not ignored due to boots, and were never stuck on the mud relatively alone with a bunch of afk high level players who are waiting for a boot.

Players never sat around waiting for a boot, and leaders routinely ran about the mud checking loads, because you never know when it might happen.

There are a lot of other reasons... but I'm sure you can figure them out as for me, I think I am gonna sleep.

Just... I remember the most hectic zone, RoD's Avernus, you could fight your way into the pits of hell, and by the time you got there, the other zonelets before it loaded again so you had to fight your way back out again. (makes sense because there are BUTTLOADS of devils in hell)
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:59 pm

Stop camping rares Dalar!
Dalar
Sojourner

Re: Zones, reboots and loading.

Postby Dalar » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:38 pm

How does that help newbies again? If zones aren't done, high levels will do them. If zones are done, high levels afk. Either way they still have nobody to group with except for people who can't commit to zones. There's plenty of things to do in this game other than SF/TF/Vault/TE.
I'll admit I wait for a boot alot too, but usually that encourages me to finish quests that I've been putting off for a while. Also, there have been other threads that relate to this topic and I believe the official response was they're working on it.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”