Character roller - no explanation of stats

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Yarash
Sojourner

Character roller - no explanation of stats

Postby Yarash » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:50 am

I think the roller would be greatly improved if it offered an explanation of stats.

The descriptions should offer practical information understandable by new players, and not be so vague that it is useless.

- Mike
Anaram
Sojourner

Postby Anaram » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:06 pm

Additonal to this...

Make any additional information reflective of the class your rolling. Power means nothing to alot of classes and this should be reflected instead of saying "Power affects mind based skills"

-Ana
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:13 am

power means a ton vs psi mobs!
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:11 am

When we rolled 2+ years ago, we were told it did nothing. Of course, we were also told that if it ever did matter, we'd be told. Too bad, that's not how things worked out.

I'm all for better explanations of what skills do, but then I'd like for those explanations to actually be right.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:03 am

I personally liked the old roller. You know the one that only gave good/fair/bad. Made +stat equipment useful and doesn't tempt a person to roll weeks on end to get the perfect character. Oh well.
Ambar
Sojourner

Re: Character roller - no explanation of stats

Postby Ambar » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:14 am

Yarash wrote:I think the roller would be greatly improved if it offered an explanation of stats.

The descriptions should offer practical information understandable by new players, and not be so vague that it is useless.

- Mike

also how about how the stats relate to eachother ... as in armor class, hitpoints, hit/dam, etc
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:22 am

Hyldryn wrote:I personally liked the old roller. You know the one that only gave good/fair/bad. Made +stat equipment useful and doesn't tempt a person to roll weeks on end to get the perfect character. Oh well.

I disagree. If someone wants to put time in it, to each his own. Classes like bard cannot get perfects in each optimum stat, so +stat eq is still in demand. Always has been or I'm just naive?
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:36 pm

I'm not sure I'm for this.

My reasoning is thus. When a new character rolls up, we do not want to give them too much of an easy path to the top. It already seems far easier than it would be for those who rolled immediately after wipe.

In the interests of having a large pbase, we need to encourage newbies to spend more time here. While it's true that too much adversity turns them away, it's also true that too much ease will result in their becoming bored and feeling that they've seen everything that the mud has to offer.

One of the coolest things about Sojourn, I used to think, was that things like xp needed and exact ac were left invisible to the player, and thus it required a great deal if ingenuity to figure them out exactly. This is eroding now, but to me it was always a great aspect of the game.

People need mysteries.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:14 pm

But in AD&D for example, you know exactly what you have from the start. If stathunters see it such a pivotal stance, they're not here for fun or friends. It'd look to me like more of a control issue.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”