Headbutt

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Faedril
Sojourner

Headbutt

Postby Faedril » Wed Apr 25, 2001 9:13 pm

Would it be possible to remove this skill or put a parallel skill in for shorter races?

It is the highest level warrior skill, and in all the years I've played Sojourn, I've never used it once since there is practically nothing a grey elf can headbutt.

A nice idea would be to put in an either/or skill at that level, ie you can learn headbutt or skill b for all races.
Rymbie
Sojourner

Postby Rymbie » Thu Apr 26, 2001 11:40 am

I totally agree with Faedril on this one. I'm sure grey elfies never had many chances to headbutt, but think about how hard it was for halflings (or gnomes, for that matter) to find something small enough to practice the skill on. I remember when I *did* actually find a mob that was small & frail enough, I would go on a headbutting rampage (an KO myself half of the time, rofl). :P

Now, there have been numerous ideas thrown around about how any race, no matter how small, should be able to headbutt...and depending on your height, you'd target a different area (stomach, groin [ouch!], kneecaps, etc.). It's pretty fun to think about, but dunno if it's actually viable.
Replacing the headbutt skill with something different for elves, gnomes, and halflings would be awesome...it would add some more spice to demi-human warriors.

Okie, just my two cents...=)

Rymbie/Shyarn
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Apr 26, 2001 12:14 pm

How about 'insult opponent' or 'cause uncontrollable laughter'?

After all, imagine the horrible 30" frost giant wielding the 6" 300lb axe being assaulted by 4" halfling warriors. He's either insulted by this band of rag-tag tiny wannabees pretending they are strong warriors going to defeat him, or he laughs his butt off at those tiny hairy things pretending to hurt him by prodding their hairpins into his feet.

Being attacked by 7" barbarians, buff dwarves, 9" trolls or 1000lb ogres is one thing, at least it's more of a fight for him... the band of frail elfie or halflings isn't much in comparison.

Rymbie pokes a Frost Giant Berserker in the right big toe!
Rymbie scores a CRITICAL HIT!
A Frost Giant Berserker goes into uncontrollable laughter!

or...

As Rymbie, Gindipple, Ragorn, Waelos, etc etc run across the ice towards, Frost Giant Berserker, he notices the tiny things pretending to be great and big warriors, insulting his battle prowess!
A Frost Giant Berserker goes into a RAGE!

Heh.

Cherzra

p.s. this is a joke Image
Rymbie
Sojourner

Postby Rymbie » Thu Apr 26, 2001 6:18 pm

ROFL Cherzra!! Image

Now, I understand yet another "upgrade" to demi-human warriors might ruffle some more feathers...and I dunno if the coders will even wanna add something like this, but it was just an idea.

Hey, Cherz, how about something like a "taunt" skill that will make those big nasty ugly giants laugh like crazy (and cause a penalty to hit/dam! LOL) when being attacked by an army of frail & tiny warrior wannabe's? I remember Kender's had a skill like that...heh. Image

Rymbie/Shyarn
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Fri Apr 27, 2001 2:59 pm

Regardless of race, headbutt is almost never used except for amusement.(read head butting poddlings) The dangers of head butt in actual combat, damage to yourself and KO's outweighs by far any damage that is done to the target. Also head butt has a very small size range which it can be used upon with any race.
The reward vs. consequence of this high level skill is unbalanced. Critical failure of this skill amounts to suicide during battles that otherwise would be a walk in the swamp. Would any caster use a spell that had a 25% change of killing them?(just a guess on the percentage)
For this to be a viable skill I would like to see the chance of self-KO dramatically reduced or even removed entirely. Is there any other skill in the game that weighs this much risk against a seemingly small reward? (Note: not rhetorical)

P.S. Please disregard this message if you are currently wearing pants.

Rausrh licks you.
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Sat Apr 28, 2001 4:58 am

The first char that I had that had headbutt was a merc. I played with it for a while, headbutting stuff, it was fun. Until I knocked myself out. I don't remember what I was fighting, something miniscule, however. I just had to sit there and watch my hp drain slowly away until the welcome mat flashed in my face. After several times of that happening, I never used headbutt again, with any char.

I don't remember the KO time, but, it was significant. If if were to be lowered to, say, 4 combat rounds, then it might be something worthwhile. Otherwise it's Russian Roulette.

Eilorn, who has a tender spot in his skull.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Apr 30, 2001 5:19 pm

how about a taunt skill so priest types don't always get switched to.
Ssryth
Sojourner

Postby Ssryth » Tue May 01, 2001 10:32 am

hehehe I remember when I played a dorf warrior - the only thing I could headbutt reliably were the buffalos east of WD Image
The mental image always makes me want to laugh - a dorf fully geared for a fight.. going head to head.. literally with a buffalo LOL!

Ssryth

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”