Was exp modified?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Malacar
Sojourner

Was exp modified?

Postby Malacar » Fri May 11, 2001 5:16 pm

We're noticing a distinct(read less than half gained) exp drop in mobs when killed. Was something done?

We're noticing no notch to 1 notch per 3 'mad?' mob kills. And no these aren't grid mobs, they are mobs that gave normal(decent) exp the other day.

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri May 11, 2001 5:43 pm

Trophy?
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri May 11, 2001 5:48 pm

No, not on trophy.

I paid attention to that. Shoulda mentioned that, my bad.

For instance.. Bandor cons ARE mad. We killed him twice with:

level 17 enchanter
level 17 warrior
level 15 warrior
level 13 cleric

got 2% each over 2 kills... Yesterday when we did this, we got 2%-4% per kill.

miners got lowered in level.

Drulak guards are shit exp now.

So is stuff in EF that we were getting decent exp from yesterday.

Might be my imagination, but I'm not the only one on EM that's said something about it now. We're terribly burnt on exp as it is, and now it's just 10 times more annoying.

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri May 11, 2001 6:28 pm

Another thing... We just tested exp solo. I got 4-6 percent off one mob that gives nothing grouped, but used to give 2percent a kill each(at same levels yesterday).

Grouped exp seems to be low. Anyone else notice this?

Solo exp seems fine.

------------------
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Fri May 11, 2001 7:19 pm

Its probably in my mind but....

You've just entered the tough lowbie levels (16-20), where you can't really take on the next tier of monsters, and the exps needed per level seems to really ramp up. At 21 the new spells start to open up a new class of mobs to slay.
I guess we never noticed at lower levels (we got decent exps in 6-8 people groups at times), but now (probably due to the level diff) once you go over 3 in a exp group you seem to slow considerably.
And last but not least.....

With the new exp bar, we stare at it every few minutes and it seems to move extremely slow Image

Belle
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Fri May 11, 2001 8:34 pm

The classes of mobs have a strong effect on the amount of exp you get on them.

You should test to see how many notches you get for killing it 4 times, and compare that to the same from a few days ago... also, if you've all leveled a bit, that will drastically affect it.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri May 11, 2001 9:43 pm

Exp at 16 becomes mind bogglingly slow. The old strategy of "group 15 people and kill everything that moves" doesn't work anymore, you actually have to control your group size.

- Ragorn
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Fri May 11, 2001 10:06 pm

I know a while back some of the immorts were saying that group size doesn't affect exp for the kill, but I just don't believe it. I am noticing that killing a mob with a group of 5-6 gives way less exp than killing in a group of 2-3. Heck were were fighting some things that conned you ARE mad and Lie down...all of the hitters couldnt even touch them, so me and another nuker did almost all of the damage. I ended up getting 3-4 notches (6-8%) mainly from just the damage exp, while the rest of the group didn't get anything.

Thats another problem in that killing mobs significantly above your level seems to give next to zero exp, while killing things that con are you mad or lower gives you the most exp (in a small group.) Its not always possible to do this, and I don't know why we are no penalized for actually killing things a bit out of our league. The rewards should be greater if you ask me.

Lyt
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Fri May 11, 2001 10:08 pm

Um... there is no penalty.

However, in a purely analytical sense, it's silly to kill something that takes 15 people or 5 runs, or any of the sort... much better to kill many things quickly. And also *much* safer.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sat May 12, 2001 12:22 am

Guys, hello?

I said how small my group was, and I said what cons they were.

Bandor cons 'ARE mad'. He flees and triple hits sometimes, and bashes etc. He's at least part warrior.

I know how the system works. I'm not that slow. However, I am not the only one that's noticed this, otherwise I would not have mentioned it.

Speaking of which... I solo'd 2 mobs on the 'grid' earlier. And noticed right away that you get no damage bonus versus any of these mobs. The grids will -not- get any action if the exp is that bad. They need tweaking, badly.

------------------
Ginalir
Sojourner

Postby Ginalir » Sat May 12, 2001 12:24 am

I will give an explicit example of EM experience mobs. Drulak castle guards. In alpha, a group of 4 of us could do them, at levels 17-19, and have each of us see a notch every kill. Now we are lucky, with the same size group, and some lesser level even, we need to kill two guards to see a notch. Well that tells me that experience for these certain mobs has been cut in half. How is my math wrong?

As for some people talking about the tough levels 16-20, well some of them actually did not have to struggle early on, as there were "ways" of gaining experience beyond the normal means. that problem has been fixed by the gods, but certain people still advantaged from it.

This is just frustrating, seeing exp crawl like this. Why play? I can understand the gods not wanting anyone to fly to 50 in a month, but there is fun, and there is work. I MUD to have fun.

-Daerlin
imp
Sojourner

Postby imp » Sat May 12, 2001 10:11 am

Hey whats the hurry? we prolly got years to get 50, relax , enjoy the game and try to look away from that exp-bar a few mins.

/Bogra
Glarec
Sojourner

Postby Glarec » Sat May 12, 2001 4:30 pm

heh, after reading all these, i noticed how funny this whole thing is.

before uthgar (or cinn.. forgot who) implemented the bar, we as mortals have no idea how much exp each mob gives and therefore, just went about our business and do exp run as usual. now that we are granded the ability to 'SEE' our progress into next lvl without actually going to the guildmaster to check, people just gripe about it and 'threaten' to stop playing. this is silly.. this really is. :P

personally i just enjoy whatever time i have in the mud and if a mob or an area doesn't seem to give me the desired exp i want, i just move to something else.

just my 2c Image

glarec the now small paly
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sat May 12, 2001 4:32 pm

No, it's really not funny. If it was the mainland and modified, then fine. I have a choice on what to go to.

Since it's EM, and we have really no choices on where to go... I don't suppose you'd see my point unless you were an elf, but I really am curious why a god or gods felt an exp downgrade was neccessary.

------------------
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat May 12, 2001 5:01 pm

You're assuming there actually WAS an xp downgrade, and until a god comments it is all rumors and speculation Image

Cherzra who doesn't think there was one
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sat May 12, 2001 5:22 pm

Maybe not in your zones cherzra. Ask most of the elves on EM.

Any group of over 3 people or over now yields nearly nil exp for anyone.

And you need 3 folks to do some of these. Image

------------------
Averyn
Sojourner

Postby Averyn » Sat May 12, 2001 5:37 pm

Mud been up for 6 days? Image Good progress! Even though xp crawled from 18-20 feh.. all good!
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Sat May 12, 2001 6:08 pm

OK... I've been tracking a similar effect on the mainland... just so ya know.

Basically, damage exp is the majority of the experience on *most* mobs that I've tested this on on the mud. Makes sense, since invokers used to race throught the levels.

What this means is if your character doesn't do alot of damage, you need to concentrate on finding mobs that give alot of kill exp.

EM is a relatively small environment... so it's gonna be harder there.

Didn't notice this effect when you said it, but now that I'm 17th level, it's kicked in... it's a level thing.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sat May 12, 2001 6:12 pm

Yeah, I've noticed dmg exp is a lot less than it was. Maybe the exp tables are a much larger(proportionally) scale than the previous ones? That still doesn't explain the earlier portions of level 17, though. Exp simply flew the other night... Then went down to a crawl pace.

------------------
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Sat May 12, 2001 6:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>Guys, hello?

I said how small my group was, and I said what cons they were.

Bandor cons 'ARE mad'. He flees and triple hits sometimes, and bashes etc. He's at least part warrior.

I know how the system works. I'm not that slow. However, I am not the only one that's noticed this, otherwise I would not have mentioned it.

Speaking of which... I solo'd 2 mobs on the 'grid' earlier. And noticed right away that you get no damage bonus versus any of these mobs. The grids will -not- get any action if the exp is that bad. They need tweaking, badly.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You also didn't tell us what level you guys were when getting 2-4% per kill... *shrug*
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sat May 12, 2001 6:25 pm

It was assumed that we were the same level. I would have specified otherwise.

------------------
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Sun May 13, 2001 12:09 am

Have fun stressing about getting levels fast.

Cheers!
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sun May 13, 2001 9:43 am

Ahem...

No exp tables have not been changed.

The damage/kill exp ratio has not been changed.

The only significant changes to exp is that Enchanters have been given a nice bonus, and we (perhaps mistakenly?) implemented the exp bar.

Now, this is from a code perspective - it is very possible due to converter errors or intentional changes that individual mobs or zones have altered exp. However, I haven't seen or heard any indication of intentional area changes to exp.

Cyric is on vacation right now, so I will take a quick look at some of the mobs you mentioned Malacar, and see if their exp has been altered mistakenly.

-- Shevarash
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun May 13, 2001 5:12 pm

Cool thanks, Shev. It just seemed(without level change) to change overnight.

If I was the only one that mentioned it, I wouldn't have posted, but I had about 10-12 people mention the same thing.

Thanks.

P.S. - If exp was modified, or believed to be modified, on the mainland, then I wouldn't have blinked, because of the large choice of zones to go to. Speaking frankly, with 5 zones to choose from, and most of them taken over by 2-3 groups, the choice on EM is limited, and thus prompted my post. The exp bar was a great addition, and contrary to Mplor's post, this was not prompted by 'speed leveling'(which was definitely funny! Image ), but simply the concern for lack of choices left.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 05-13-2001).]
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Mon May 14, 2001 5:26 pm

I originally couldn't understand what Mal was talking about, but once you hit about 18th level (maybe 17th) the amount you can get per mob goes way down.

I've also noticed that some mobs give very low kill exp (but seem to give more damage exp?). Gotta pick your mobs.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon May 14, 2001 5:38 pm

"I originally couldn't understand what Mal was talking about, but once you hit about 18th level (maybe 17th) the amount you can get per mob goes way down."

Boy is that an understatement! Image

Exp is mind-bogglingly slow, at least on EM. I see ppl skyrocketings in levels, and mostly evils.. Don't wanna hear how hard evils are ever again! Image (note this is not a flame, nor intended as such, but a friendly jibe.. Kinda glad to see Evils are getting their fair share)

------------------
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon May 14, 2001 5:51 pm

Actually we have tons of playtime, it's kinda scary if you look at my score... and leveling up fast so you can do xp nobody else can yet uninterrupted helps too Image
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Wed May 16, 2001 1:32 am

What this comes down to, really, is not that exp has changed at all, but that the hitters (including myself) just don't have the dam roll at the moment.

Put it to you this way, if your 1h weapon averages 7 damage, and you have say 5 dam roll from stats... then 12 dam on items would *DOUBLE* your damage... making you kill things twice as fast... and you wouldn't need as much healing...

So um... just be patient and maybe throw the hitters a bone and do a +1 dam thing or somethin'.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed May 16, 2001 4:19 pm

Seems to depends on your class. If you can do the damage, you'll still get good xp.

I know firsthand that for clerics lvl 18-20 is extremely painful. We don't have the healing to have the groups do larger mobs, and we don't get any damage xp since we're busy trying to keep the tank alive.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”