Tanking exp...Myth or Reality?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Vigis
Sojourner

Tanking exp...Myth or Reality?

Postby Vigis » Sun May 27, 2001 9:45 am

Was just wondering, do tanks get any exp for taking all that damage and being the meatshield? I was in a couple of groups and I tanked a mob that conned as Lie Down. After the fight, the shamans in the group reported getting decent exp, but I didn't even get a 2% notch. Was there ever such a thing as tanking exp? Or has it been downgraded? I talked with Gargauth about this and he said he would get back to me, but I haven't been on very much lately, so figured somebody on here might have an answer.

Thanks,
Vigis Wolverinefang
Grumdikanikus
Sojourner

Postby Grumdikanikus » Thu May 31, 2001 7:59 pm

Tanks get exp. My rogue solo'd a bat near DK and I leveled off the fight and never killed the bat. I had to flee about 6 times to eat food but that's it.

Kinda Silly isn't it.
Grumdi
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu May 31, 2001 8:08 pm

Did you notch when you hit it? Or when a skill notched?
Grumdikanikus
Sojourner

Postby Grumdikanikus » Thu May 31, 2001 9:21 pm

I was getting exp when I hit it enuff. Actually I never saw my skills go up but maybe my 1h piercing skill twice. I also must say that it took me close to two hours to level and I never killed the mob until after that.

The Sucky Rogue,
Grumdi
Ubek
Sojourner

Postby Ubek » Thu May 31, 2001 9:40 pm

Haha, When beta open, I ran straight to Forest Mir, and attacked a grig sprite, I never killed the damn thing, but got 2 levels off it :P
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu May 31, 2001 10:20 pm

Be careful. You do get exp for damaging mobs (hence you can level midfight)... and I've had this happen when I wasn't tanking... hard to separate these two effects (if there are two).
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu May 31, 2001 11:16 pm

your shamans may have gotten 2% b/c they were on the border of the notch were they could get to the next notch and maybe you weren't Image
Werg
Sojourner

Postby Werg » Fri Jun 01, 2001 11:16 pm

Being a warrior I thought I might throw in my observations.

I was with a group in HP, I was tanking and bashing. Which means I was also using my dodge, parry, and shieldblock skills. I was with probably 4 other ppl, and I seemed to get pretty good exp. The next day I was with a group of just 2 ppl, all 3 of us were clsoe to same level, but I was not tanking, and I did not get the same exp as I did the day before.

Aside from this one comparison, it does seem like I get better exp when I'm tanking, and I think it's because I'm using more of my skills(i.e. dodge, parry, and shieldblock)

Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Sat Jun 02, 2001 12:40 am

If you have riposte, that will also give you more damage.
Werg
Sojourner

Postby Werg » Sat Jun 02, 2001 3:28 am

Oh yeah, forgot about riposte, but I wasn't riposting enough to make as much of a difference as I noticed. However I'm sure it factored into it in some way also. It all adds up Image

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”