Vampiric Touch aka Useless Touch

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Ubek
Sojourner

Vampiric Touch aka Useless Touch

Postby Ubek » Tue May 29, 2001 11:58 pm

It procs once, end of story, it makes it pretty pointless. I've been trying to find different situations that make this spell useful, but alas, none Image

So I figured, if this could be tied into say, our level, and allow for it to proc multiple times, ie,

lvl 26 - 1d1
lvl 31 - 1d3
lvl 36 - 1d4
lvl 41 - 2d4
lvl 50 - 3d4

And also, it needs to be castable during combat. once engaged, disengaging to cast for it to proc once is rather silly.

**Flame away Kilo**
--- Disclaimer: This is just feedback ---
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Wed May 30, 2001 12:09 am

Actually I've been kinda lobbying to get it changed. But there doesn't seem to be any consensus on it. Was 46th necro last wipe.

Fortunately, they added a spell at later circles that does something similar to the effect that I was originally looking for.

[This message has been edited by Kiloppile (edited 05-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kiloppile (edited 05-29-2001).]
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed May 30, 2001 1:26 am

Apparently you've never needed to heal in a hurry. In alpha, vampiric touch saved my butt at least several times, and has done so once so far in beta. Get switched to and take a bunch of damage, need hps to survive and the group fled? Head to the slave pens and get 50 more hps than yer max health in 30 short seconds. Any healing a mage can do to himself is welcome. Slave pens and errand boys aren't just for squid-snacks Image

-Todrael
Revenki
Sojourner

Postby Revenki » Wed May 30, 2001 1:32 am

You tell em Tod!

I find vamp touch extremely useful. Something switches to me and slams me for damage, i flee out of the room, cast vamp, come back in and engage, within 3 rounds it usually goes off and i've got my hps back. If I'm still hurting, flee out of the room and vamp again and suck up those hps, wash and repeat as needed.

Revenki
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed May 30, 2001 7:10 am

You're kidding right? If mobs also get 3d4 vamp touch hits instead of one, I'll give you the honor of starting fights. Once he finishes vamp touching you, I'll rescue and tank the rest.
Ubek
Sojourner

Postby Ubek » Wed May 30, 2001 3:52 pm

How about allowing it to be castable during battle? Makes it abit more useful. Granted necro mage mobs will be able to use it, but that's what bash is for right? :P
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Wed May 30, 2001 4:47 pm

Vampiric Curse is far and away a better spell... really makes vamp touch useless, in the long run (though for soloing necro not as much so).

Only drawback is the mob gets a save.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Wed May 30, 2001 5:01 pm

Yeah please upgrade Necros they arnt powerful enough already.
Ssarra
Sojourner

Postby Ssarra » Wed May 30, 2001 5:31 pm

Down zrax Image
Ubek
Sojourner

Postby Ubek » Thu May 31, 2001 4:58 pm

The idea is not asking for upgrades, but to make spells more usefull. Depending on how you choose to play a necro, certain spells are more utilized than others. I prefer the solo path, while trying to be very involved in the battle. The down side to being a necro is getting your pets. Yes, we could always rely on finding corpses in the major towns, but with no corpses just laying there, raise a ghoul becomes an hour endeavor. Being able to vamp abit may help shorten this time. And just to add, half the fun is getting the pet corpse. Image
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu May 31, 2001 6:11 pm

If it takes you an hour to make pets you have a real problem, if you cant get someone to kill something for you, you could just bribe them with some of the nice mid level equipment you and your wraiths can solo with out so much as breaking a sweat.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu May 31, 2001 6:46 pm

Haven't played a necro this wipe (so thus had stone skin on my wraiths, etc)... but used to take me about 15 mins to get to that stage.

Has the class changed *that* much from just taking stone away from wraiths? *boggle*
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu May 31, 2001 7:19 pm

It takes me 10 mins to get my first wraith up.. 2 mins after that for a second wraith. I would think it wouldn't take me much longer than that to use those to get a ghoul.

-Todrael
Ubek
Sojourner

Postby Ubek » Thu May 31, 2001 8:22 pm

I estimate an hour thinking of it as a max time, it's different for everyone at every level, and at various zones. Realistically it takes 10 mins in DK, but if you are a loner sitting in for example GC(last I check traffic was low), there's not always an easy mob available to kill. :P That's what I'm talking about, for the times when things are not convinient.

Ubek - Drow to the very end.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu May 31, 2001 8:45 pm

GC! Ugh GC rares are gonna be a pain with human necros now goodies Image

Cherzra shouts "looking for bolt eyep... third wipe without having one, have mercy!"
Ssryth
Sojourner

Postby Ssryth » Sat Jun 02, 2001 12:40 pm

Hmm.. I like vamp touch the way it is - I use it all the time and I have a LOT of the memmed always.

Vamp curse is good for group situations.. but only usable for the solo necro in VERY specific situations...

Cherz, I'll hook you up.. hopefully *cackle*

Ssryth

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”