undead need waterbreathing?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Revenki
Sojourner

undead need waterbreathing?

Postby Revenki » Sat Jun 16, 2001 1:21 am

Went to sg tonight and my wraiths got left behind, apparently the undead need waterbreathing? Since when do the undead do any kind of breathing?

*boggle*

Revenki
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Sat Jun 16, 2001 2:10 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Revenki:
<B>Went to sg tonight and my wraiths got left behind, apparently the undead need waterbreathing? Since when do the undead do any kind of breathing?

*boggle*

Revenki</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boggle, Since S2. Spirit have to wear wb earring on S2.
Revenki
Sojourner

Postby Revenki » Sat Jun 16, 2001 1:48 pm

Would it unbalance the game too much to give undead/spirits gills?

I know it would look silly but from a gameplay point of view it would make more sense for creatures that do not breathe to be able to go underwater without drowning.

Revenki
Ssryth
Sojourner

Postby Ssryth » Sat Jun 16, 2001 2:26 pm

Undead and all other pets which do not have "gills" have always required wb... but realistically speaking, they shouldn't since they don't breathe...

Ssryth
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sun Jun 17, 2001 4:28 am

This is one of those quirks of programming that crop up when there is no "master plan" or when the code is continually evolving over the course of several years and different people (e.g., Toril).

The programming says that in order to enter this room, the mob needs to be able to breath water. This makes sense, since most mobs have at least some method of breathing (I imagine even piercers and mimics need air).

This logic works well until undead, which shouldn't breathe, enters the picture.

Would it be difficult to add a "no_breath" flag or add it to the race code? Something that would preven non-corosive air based effects to bounce off (more difficult) and allow them to pass through WB_only zones (more useful)?

------------------

Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:21 pm

Yeah and we tried casting WB on Rev's undead, but it didn't work.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”