Policy on Corpses

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.

Policy on Corpses

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2001 3:05 pm

Until there are ressers in the game, we're going to have to restrict you to preserving only 1 corpse at a time. Here's why.

Ress only looks at your current level to see what you should be given back for exp. If you die at level 35, but there's no ressers until you're level 42, you'll receive exp back as if you were level 42 when you died. If you're saving a couple corpses, then could get you very, very much more exp than you lost.

I'll check with coders on fixing this, but I don't think it will be easy to do. Once there are ressers in the game, this policy will be revoked, unless we catch people saving corpses to be ressed until they've gained multiple levels to twink the exp gain. That would be considered bug abuse and will be dealt with accordingly.

Mask
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Jun 18, 2001 4:08 pm

And zone activity drops to 0. I see what you are saying though Mask, this is definantly unintentionally abusable. Seems like the best solution is to mark a corpse with the level they were at when they died. Of course im sure this is easier said than done.
Tanolm
Sojourner

Postby Tanolm » Mon Jun 18, 2001 4:27 pm

How about preserving one of my corpses somewhere and then spiritwalking to it? Am I allowed to do that, cause I wouldn't be saving it for a ress.

[This message has been edited by Tanolm (edited 06-18-2001).]
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Jun 18, 2001 4:38 pm

that does bring up an interesting point, what about having a corpse pressed by someone else so you can later retrieve it if say you dont have time for a cr at the moment.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Mon Jun 18, 2001 4:39 pm

I always thought that could be a twinkable way to gain exp. Joe player presses up 10 corpses while he's powerlevelled to 40, and then gets 10 resses in a row. Quite a nice way to gain 2 levels!

I wonder if anyone was going to try that...
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Jun 18, 2001 5:10 pm

Nichevo

/Jegzed

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2001 5:25 pm

This is only a short term thing because there appeared to be a mortuary starting that had like 30 corpses in it. Once we get ressers in the game, you can keep as many corpses as you want, as long as you're not keeping them til you level a couple times. It's not something we're going to be anal retentive about, unless we see like 5 corpses of a 1 person scattered around and all preserved for days upon days. It's just the mortuary had 4 of one person, 3 of 3 people, 2 of a few, etc. Just wanted to head that off before it ran into the realm of bug abuse, however unintentional it may have been.
Uthgar
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Uthgar » Mon Jun 18, 2001 5:49 pm

"How about preserving one of my corpses somewhere and then spiritwalking to it? Am I allowed to do that, cause I wouldn't be saving it for a ress."

You can't spiritwalk to preserved corpses. That abuse was foreseen very early. Read the helpfile on spiritwalk more carefully.

Uthgar
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Mon Jun 18, 2001 5:51 pm

I dunno, mask. That mortuary you describe sounds pretty organized and planned to me. I think you're being very nice by saying its not bug abuse yet. I'd remove all but one corpse of each! I'm such a meanie!

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2001 5:59 pm

I already did. Image
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:27 pm

The better solution seems to be to mark the corpses somehow with a level at which they died. This removal of corpses doesnt seem to address the actual problem here.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:35 pm

I had one corpse in that morgue Image

It was just all corpses that we had from dieing in zones and people did not want to lose exp.

I think most of us was unaware of how it really worked and simply wanted to not lose exp.

Best thing is probably to store level of corpse in the pcorpse. Probably already code for that as npc corpses have the level stored for necro spells.

/Jegzed

ps. Our highest cleric should be 46 before wednesday so this will all be a moot Image
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:43 pm

I was the person with 4 corpses in the mortuary and i really dont care about losing the exp but i do take exception to Izareks blind comments about intent. If we were intending to abuse a bug we would have done this at a much lower level than the 40's. Most of the people that died there don't even think of things like that. The fact that you would think this was something intentional speaks alot about how you would act in situations like that.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:07 pm

Like I said, I'm not accusing anyone of anything. It's just something we noticed, looked into how Ress works, and said "uh-oh, this could be bad". I don't think anyone had any real plans to twink exp, nor do I think anyone really knew how ress worked. I suspected it'd be a problem, but had to ask a coder to make sure. I'll check with the coders about the ability to add a check, but the first one I asked indicated it would be a royal pain in the butt.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:22 pm

I don't know if anyone would agree but i would be all for preserve not working on player corpses and instead of a set 2 hour life on corpses have it based on the level of the person who died, something to the affect of 2 hours per level of person. At higher levels the harder it can be to retrieve a corpse and it would be nice to have the extra time and at the same time remove the possibility to twink the ressurection code. Just a thought.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:28 pm

The reason there are so many corpses there is because DK vault is a royal pain in the ass zone to do, unlike what most goodies probably think.

None of us had any clue that corpse level didn't matter, we all figured it did. But we also figured even just a little XP regained is better than no XP regained at all.

So we tried to save the corpses we created the past levels to ress. See, we're not as cheating and evil as some goodies like to think.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:35 pm

/sarcasm and joking on

We all know you're an evil bastage Cherzra! You were out just for the exp! Don't lie to us! Wah!

/sarcasm and joking off

Seriously, when I first read this, I thought it was you guys, only because you're one of the most organized folks on right now. There's maybe 1 or 2 other closeknit groups like that, but I never, for one second, figured anyone would be abusing a bug.

I wouldn't take offense to remarks made here, though, guys. Look at the context of the first post, and you'll realize it could easily be interpreted this way. Image

Cherz, I wanna see a log of the DK vault sometime.. I'll never get to do it, so it'd be pretty cool to check it out. Image

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:41 pm

There's a log in the logs section from a part of the dragon fight...
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:52 pm

Nah, I mean like a whole log. Image

Would need to be emailed or somfin tho. Dunno. Image

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Mon Jun 18, 2001 8:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
I was the person with 4 corpses in the mortuary and i really dont care about losing the exp but i do take exception to Izareks blind comments about intent. If we were intending to abuse a bug we would have done this at a much lower level than the 40's. Most of the people that died there don't even think of things like that. The fact that you would think this was something intentional speaks alot about how you would act in situations like that.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exception noted and you have my apologies. It's just that my faith in the people of sojourn has been failing lately. Am considering leaving over the stuff ive seen.

Izzy

[This message has been edited by izarek (edited 06-18-2001).]
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Jun 19, 2001 5:06 am

As the person who preserved most of those corpses, I thought I'd respond here. This all started a while ago, when I was grouping with Zoldren in havenport.. she died after going linkdead and being tracked to death. I preserved her corpse for her return.. then she didn't come back the next day, so I preserved it some more, more, etc. As far as I know, it's still there. Then for a while, we joked about getting it ress'd later on. I had no clue the resurection code didn't look at corpse level, as all of my spells certainly do.

After this, I started pres'ing other corpses.. after the first attempt at the DK vault, I spent 5 hours preserving the 14 corpses it created, and gave up on those hours of exp (the group went on to exp while i pres'd). Needless to say, I am slightly upset about the removal of the corpses, but I also see exactly why it is necessary.

I would think/hope in the future this bug is fixed, and corpse level is taken into account.

-Todrael, waving goodbye to his own little morgue.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Tue Jun 19, 2001 5:23 am

I'd never thought of it that way. Certainly a mob corpse records the level of the mob... knew that from being a necro...

Is there no room for that extra flag on a pcorpse?

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”