Silence Person

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
rylan
Sojourner

Silence Person

Postby rylan » Tue Jun 19, 2001 6:20 pm

All you clerics out there (Yee few but faithful :P ) if you've tried using silence person, can you post some info on your experience with it working (or should I say not working)?

Here are my results from last night:

Hit 0/12 silence persons. Mobs were all cursed at the time too.
Overall, I have only hit 1 (yes, ONE) silence person in my entire time since I got the spell.

So.. in my opinion (and everyone I've grouped with) this spell is uselessly unreliable. It never seems to work on any of the high-ish lvl mage mobs that you'd want it to work on (especially those !bash casters).

Unfortunately, I don't have any feedback yet on how often it hits PCs since the spellsave penalty for us was reduced.
Salenthelor
Sojourner

Postby Salenthelor » Tue Jun 19, 2001 6:34 pm

Well, I've used it quite a bit. I get it on a 30-35 level bashing caster about 1-3, got the queen bee 1-6 and 1-1. Played with it on smaller mobs at 1-2/1-3 success. I've found that so long as someone can engage it first via bash it goes silent by the 3rd one. Only the bee stood up to it. Keep in mind it is spellcast generic so that will hurt it a lot. I have a 40 just for ref.
As for solid success fail rates, no clue but those are guesses. I go test it.
Tanolm
Sojourner

Postby Tanolm » Tue Jun 19, 2001 9:02 pm

Here are my findings from last week before hex was changed.

On the archmage in the tower (level 55?) I hit about 1/6 silences without hex. When the mob was hexed, I hit about 1/2 silences. This was done when I was about level 38.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue Jun 19, 2001 9:15 pm

Curse is important to it landing now.

Without it, it is very difficult to land silence person.

Also, it is under spellcast generic which is not going to be very high for a cleric.

Jurdex
Dornax
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jun 19, 2001 9:48 pm

Thats why I mentioned that the mobs were cursed already, which means it _should've_ been a lot easier to hit with silence person, but it wasn't. In fact, the 1 time I hit with it since I've gotten the spell, the mob wasn't cursed.

Not to mention curse is a pain in the ass to get to take also.. by the time it hits the fight is half over = why bother in the first place?

Oh, and my spellcast generic isn't that bad.. its around 50. Doesn't compare to my ~70 for commonly used spells, but still.. does spellcast even make a differance with stuff like this landing?
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue Jun 19, 2001 10:46 pm

Odd.

Curse seems to have helped in landing silence person for me.

A side note.. it would be nice to have a message of when silence person and curse fall..

Jurdex
Dornax
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Jun 20, 2001 12:22 pm

Yeah, thats a good idea too.

Actually, anyone know how long curse lasts? Help files say 7 days, but I have no idea if thats right or not, since if a mob is already cursed and you cast it on it again, you don't get any message (unlike other spells, where it'll say 'nothing happens' if you try to blind an already blinded mob etc).
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Wed Jun 20, 2001 10:53 pm

I've heard rumors that duration was reduced when it was upgraded.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:19 am

Even if the message for curse is something like..

glance guardian

The guardian is in an excellent condition.
The guardian reveals a red aura to you.

A message only to the caster of the curse? Or to everyone. Works either way. Also, for blindness and silence person.. wouldn't it be logical for you to realize when a mob isn't blind or silenced anymore? You're fighting a guardian and all of a sudden he isn't swinging wildly at you or stumbling about blinded or gasping for words..

Jurdex
Dornax
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:26 pm

nods.. at least for blind though we can tell when the mob tries to bash/switch etc.

Curse ther eis currently no way of knowing when it fades or its expected duration.

Something else (ported in some other thread too).. I seem to be able to hit spells a lot easier on cleric mobs than mage mobs.. is that because I am a cleric fighting a cleric, or just because mages have better base spellsaves?
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Thu Jun 21, 2001 9:18 pm

Not exactly on topic but Im just gonna put in my $0.02 and say I was dissappointed that silence was taken out. Silence fights were fun and it was an incentive for groups to take along an extra hitter or 2. Oh well thats it.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”