Corpse policy modifications

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.

Corpse policy modifications

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 23, 2001 7:07 pm

Ok, a bunch of us got together and discussed this. After taking the arguements into account, you guys are right, at level 40+, this is too harsh, especially with people starting to do Jot, Vault, etc on a regular basis.

I'm rescinding the 1 corpse policy. Feel free to start up the masoleum again. Just a warning, please don't preserve your own corpse with an alt char. I already caught 1 person doing that and it's considered multiplaying. tsk tsk.

However, we will be occasionally checking on pcorpses. If we see a pile of 10 level 20 pcorpses, and you're now level 28 or something, don't be surprised if a bunch of them disappear. Or we might just delete a few levels to make you match the corpses you're trying to twink. Depends how bad it is. In other words, don't abuse this.

Our purpose here was not to punish people, but to avoid having people get massive exp gains they didn't deserve.

However, you're right, it's too harsh at high level. Feel free to get spanked at the Vault with impunity again.

Mask

[This message has been edited by Mask (edited 06-23-2001).]
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Sun Jun 24, 2001 10:16 pm

As i said in the other thread Image It would
be a short, very easy code addition to actually make so you gain as much exp, or less if you like that, that you lost when you died by storing the integer value in the corpse.

I guess it would solve all problems... no?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 24, 2001 10:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kyos:
<B>As i said in the other thread Image It would
be a short, very easy code addition to actually make so you gain as much exp, or less if you like that, that you lost when you died by storing the integer value in the corpse.

I guess it would solve all problems... no?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because you've seen our code, know how we store corpses, write to them and all of that you can make such an educated decision on how easy it would be to do such a thing.

I don't mean to talk down to you, but unless you've seen OUR code, it's very difficult to make an educated statement on the ease of additions and changes.
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Sun Jun 24, 2001 11:55 pm

True indeed.

However, i have seen MANY codebases, not sojourn in particular though Image

Even so, most muds have integers for their numeric values on objects. Perhaps 4-8 or something, depending. The more the better Image

Items usually use these numbers differently, weapons have dicenum and dicesize etc. Scrolls show which spell to execute and so on.

Normally, a corpse object don't need to use up all of these values. Perhaps sojourn's does, i could not tell. If not, it would be very easy to use one of these for storing the exp data and if all are used, it would still be easy to add a new integer to every object in the object struct. This integer could be stored in the corpse save function and loaded as you load the corpses. For items that are not corpses, it would just set the integer to 0 when the object is "loaded" and it would not be used. It wouldn't need to be saved in the object files, so they wouldn't be touched in any way. Sort of like a temporary integer value.

I couldn't see many hazards with this actually either way.

Only problem would be that the old file containing the saved corpses could be fucked up or lost hehe... if not done right. But with all the fancy code sojourn has, i bet your coders should be able to fix a thing like this pretty fast and easy Image

It's just a suggestion to the problem, i don't want to sound snipy or something, i'm just helping out Image

Hope it works out. Having the code fix the problem, sounds much better than immortals purging corpses and having to watch for abuse etc.

[This message has been edited by Kyos (edited 06-24-2001).]
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jun 25, 2001 6:08 am

Of course the code will be changed to fix this glaring bug.

This policy on corpses applies until it is fixed, after that it won't be an issue. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Jun 25, 2001 3:17 pm

So what about those of us who had many of our corpses deleted through the course of this ever shifting policy or are we just out of luck? I had 3 of my 4 level 40+ corpses deleted and then a week later told that it was ok to have them again.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Mon Jun 25, 2001 3:21 pm

We're not going to be hearing any complaints from those folks who are stockpiling 20+ corpses to get ressed 20 times in a row when they start getting perm con loss, will we?
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Jun 25, 2001 5:29 pm

I hope not Nokie. But I'm sure there will be some complaining as usual :P
I know for one I'm only going to be ressing 1 corpse for people at first (unless its a res for group members dying from a zone run etc) until I get through a bunch.

I just have to decide if I want to change my previous free-res policy, since it sounds like the quest is really gonna hurt :P

[This message has been edited by rylan (edited 06-25-2001).]
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sun Jul 01, 2001 2:30 am

Zrax: So what about those of us who had many of our corpses deleted through the course of this ever shifting policy or are we just out of luck? I had 3 of my 4 level 40+ corpses deleted and then a week later told that it was ok to have them again.

-

That is a very good question. But alas.. I think i know the answer to it already...

-Jaznolg FF Master of Evil Lookout

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”