white-hot fiery mace offhand proc bug

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Zrax
Sojourner

white-hot fiery mace offhand proc bug

Postby Zrax » Tue Aug 07, 2001 1:46 am

It seems when wielded in the offhand the white hot fiery mace will proc but the proc will mention the name of your primary weapon.

You dodge the navy sailor's vicious attack.
The navy sailor misses you with his hit.
You slash the navy sailor extremely hard.
Your fiery mace envelops the navy sailor in a corona of fire.
Flames explode around the navy sailor as your an ebony bladed longsword makes contact.
You crush the navy sailor extremely hard.
< 500h/728H 128v/139V >
< T: Zrax TC: few wounds E: navy EC: pretty hurt>
You dodge the navy sailor's vicious attack.
Your longsword glows dark and bites into the navy sailor's neck.
The navy sailor seems to be blinded!
The navy sailor staggers from your fearsome slash!
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Tue Aug 07, 2001 1:48 am

as a barbarian who wielded two of these for the last part of toril i can say it's always been this way.

i'm just glad the offhand proc still works Image that's soooooo my fav weapon
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Aug 07, 2001 5:46 am

It seems to be a bug in the old offhand proc weapons (or rather, the ONLY offhand proc weapons seeing as how I have yet to find any new offhand proc weapons yet aside from the straightback dirk for rogues but that's another matter entirely). I recall that the valkyrie sword displayed the name of the primary on an offhand proc as well. Course, since both weapons use the corona proc, it's probably something with the proc itself.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Aug 07, 2001 6:02 pm

Something procs offhand? Wow, and I thought that was only a tantilizing dream! Too bad neither the mace or dirk are 1h slashers *snap*
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue Aug 07, 2001 6:45 pm

ebony bladed longsword does proc offhand for those looking for an 'offhand proc 1h slasher' (say that 3 times fast)
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Aug 07, 2001 6:53 pm

Ooh and thats a good one too. Something to shoot for! thanks for the tip.

Izzy

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2001 10:47 pm

Quite a few weapons actually proc offhand, and I'm adjusting many more to proc offhand as well. Some only proc offhand in certain situations however, and some proc different depending on what hand they are in. Some also only proc offhand if you are a certain race/class.

Much more variety.

-Gargamel
Klurg
Sojourner

Postby Klurg » Wed Aug 08, 2001 10:42 am

Only procs in offhand if you are a certain class/race? Why on earth would it proc in yer primary hand and not in yer offhand just because of yer race? BLEH!

/Klurg
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:23 am

Yeah please elaborate a little on that one.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:30 am

Well, you know, Windsong will only proc in the offhand of an illithid, and a frosty will only proc its special ice blizzard if wielded one-handed in the off-hand of a halfling warrior. Everyone has known about those for ages.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Wed Aug 08, 2001 8:05 pm

You think thats bad, I hear something is in the works that will prevent weapons from procing offhand during the hours that are usually occupied by dutch and other overseas players. An ebony bladed longsword tells you 'sorry i refuse to proc offhand for you troll scum!'
It aint easy being green!

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 10, 2001 6:35 pm

I think you are misunderstanding.

A chaotic good barbarian weapon, if wielded by a human, might still proc when fighting something evil, however, if wielded by a barbarian of a pure spirit, might proc much more often, might proc stronger, and might even proc if wielded in the offhand.

The human, who doesn't understand the barbarian magic involved in the weapon wouldn't have enough control or faith of spirit to cause the weapon to proc in both hands or very often.

-Gargamel

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Aug 10, 2001 7:08 pm

Hmmm, is there any way to know on what race/alignment/etc it will proc more?

I thought that all races/classes that could use a weapon, would proc proc equally much with it (provided it's not a proc-on-crit weapon modified by racial str). And if a race/class/sex can't use it, you can't use it to proc with either (e.g. valkyrie sword).

I don't think this shows up on ID, so is there a way of knowing that a barb will proc more than a dwarf who will proc more than a troll who will proc more than a halfling if they are all wielding the same proc weapon X, and the other way around with proc weapon Y?

Just wondering how the players would know this stuff Image
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Aug 10, 2001 7:14 pm

Why do I get the feeling that this screws over human rangers?

Sarvis
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Fri Aug 10, 2001 8:17 pm

That's because the great Elven conspiracy has been plotting behind the sceens to get rid of all those dirty human pretenders. Oops, I've said to much.

Tilandal -=Ducks an Elven Arrow and Learns to Keep Quiet=-
Zogur
Sojourner

Postby Zogur » Mon Aug 13, 2001 2:58 pm

Bah people picking on the dutch again?

Zogur
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Mon Aug 13, 2001 4:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>Hmmm, is there any way to know on what race/alignment/etc it will proc more?

I thought that all races/classes that could use a weapon, would proc proc equally much with it (provided it's not a proc-on-crit weapon modified by racial str). And if a race/class/sex can't use it, you can't use it to proc with either (e.g. valkyrie sword).

I don't think this shows up on ID, so is there a way of knowing that a barb will proc more than a dwarf who will proc more than a troll who will proc more than a halfling if they are all wielding the same proc weapon X, and the other way around with proc weapon Y?

Just wondering how the players would know this stuff Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God forbid there is stuff we have to figure out by experimentation!! Image
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Mon Aug 13, 2001 5:02 pm

Kinda hard to experiment for this one unless you have one of each race/class combination possible trying things out in the same group. How about giving bards the ability to figure out stuff like this?

Vadian - pardon me while I steer a course for 'off topic'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Aug 13, 2001 5:57 pm

Unless it were obvious from the weapon itself. I know it wouldn't be that way for all pieces of equipment, but I'm guessing it can be assumed that a 'white hot fiery mace of dwarven nose picking' would proc a lot more for dwarves.... I hope.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Aug 13, 2001 6:35 pm

I agree, I really hate !id weapons too, i think it would be cool to have weapons that are harder to id, require a more powerful spell, or the amount of info depends on the level of the person casting the spell but having all or nothing id kinda stinks. Just an opinion, not of any overwhelming importance to me though.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Sun Aug 19, 2001 3:56 am

The idea of more interaction between items and players brings up the idea of AI for items. How cool would that be!? I remember the Living Necroplasm artifact on Duris that, if dropped by a player, would run around the room searching for another player to wrap itself around (as a cloak). When it found someone it would leap onto them and be worn as a cursed cloak. As I recall it was one of the best mage items out there and certainly one of the most unique MUD items I've ever seen. I'd love to see more items out there that had some AI. To me, it sounds like a coding nightmare but, I'm not a coder so...
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Aug 20, 2001 1:30 am

As to the suggestion of tying this in with bards, why not give them a skill like the following:

LORE
Applied skill.

Syntax: lore <item>
Aggressive: No
Class/Level: Bard 20th

This skill allows the bard a chance to discern more information about a particular object based upon it's physical characteristics and history. The skill is available for use once per day. Higher level bards will have a much easier time discerning the stats and/or history of a particular item.

Feedback?

Twyl

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”