Tanking downgrades

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Tanking downgrades

Postby Galok Icewolf » Thu Aug 23, 2001 11:31 am

I don't know if its the warriors that are making tanking so easy, or the multitude of spells. Probably a combination of both, but I do know I have a hard time tanking skills mobs of my same level and lose 1/2 my hps to mobs 10 levels below me. I agree with some tanking downgrades, but...

If your going to downgrade tanking skills, can you maybe look into the possibility of warriors and such being able to do more melee damage? For a while now we have been doing very little damage in comparisson to casters. I agree that they shouldn't do as much as most casters, but doing a little more damage, i think will help.

Thanks for listening Image
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Aug 23, 2001 12:10 pm

Well currently some fights are DEATH to a tank.

Take the Artimus Nevarlith fight, unless someone rescues off 3-4 of the mobs, then the tank is instant death the second dragonscales drop.

And that is with the BEST tank you can get in this game. ie a decked level 50 troll warrior wearing ac, hp and all spelled up.

/Jegzed
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Aug 23, 2001 1:58 pm

I dunno touk... from the looks of the log, chez was tanking quite a few giants, but they kept switching to and beating on other ppl, so that probably helped a lot.

We've seen plenty of times when 1 tank gets slapped around hard by 3-4 high lvl zone mobs :P
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu Aug 23, 2001 2:03 pm

I hate to say it but second gatehouse really insnt that big of a deal as far as tough fights go. Big fights like Jeg mentioned are where you see the shortcomings of pc tanks. However, I do think that the combination of dragonscales and displace working together is very powerful.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Thu Aug 23, 2001 2:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
I hate to say it but second gatehouse really insnt that big of a deal as far as tough fights go. Big fights like Jeg mentioned are where you see the shortcomings of pc tanks. However, I do think that the combination of dragonscales and displace working together is very powerful.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The second gatehouse is a joke. I've seen
that wanker Hyldryn tank 8 without dragonscales and not suffer to badly...
imagine what a competent paladin could do!
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu Aug 23, 2001 5:23 pm

Hyldryn is a paladin? *boggle* I thought he was a pirate-bard!
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Aug 23, 2001 6:14 pm

You have to realize that while that 2nd gatehouse I tanked went well, there is an equal amount of times it doesn't go so well. That run we had an illusionist with us(something rare for evils) and his spells helped a ton. I can name two occasions we did it with more tanks and more damage, yet somehow we got spanked.

Last night in Demi I lost 800hp in one round tanking 4 mobs, and was dead before I could say anything. In manscorps, whoever the poor chap is I send east toward a certain room is 99% certainly doomed. It's all the luck of the draw, you get bashed you die, you get critted you die, if not maybe you live.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Aug 23, 2001 8:07 pm

Nods chez. While it may look easy sometimes, there are times when you get critted/bashed etc and get spanked around.

Yeah Bell, hyldy has tanked the 2nd gatehouse fine, but he also get spanked a few times in the first round :P
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Aug 23, 2001 11:23 pm

u guys are pyscho if u wanna dg warrior tanking. 1st take away 1k spirit/mentals now u wanna make it so warrior can be killed faster? the experience i have is paddy's room. 4 bg and paddy. we go in just hoping to kill 1 and get out w/o a death. but i agree we shouldn't make rash decision to dg just cuz cherzra got lucky. dang cleric should let him die for bragging. Image
Bipple
Sojourner

Postby Bipple » Fri Aug 24, 2001 1:25 am

The main problem I see is not with downgrading player tanks, I can understand this if as Sheverash pointed out Elementalists will be able to replace what PC tanks are going to lose. The main problem is if they are downgrading pc tanks over the next couple weeks and then will look at putting Conj's in... who is going to be there to fill the gap for the several months it takes for a decent amount of high level conj's to appear? Everyone know's casters are a bitch to level and I can't see conj's having much if any nuking power to get exp from... this is even considering the class has sufficient skills and quote "fun factor" for people to play period.
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Fri Aug 24, 2001 2:06 am

warriors can still potentially outdamage even rogues, with the exception of the certain, rare and specific fights.

I know a troll warrior who can get 71 dam when his twilight procs, and an ogre who has 76 dam when the twilight procs. they have close to 50 dam when it not proc. how many rogues can claim that much damage and still be able to hit consistantly?

i seem to remember 1.5k fire mentals getting owned when folks screwed up. i think it's 10% skill and 90% luck.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Aug 24, 2001 7:14 am

What is this damage thing? I have like 19 hit and 19 dam, and that is because I'm FORCED to wear all hitpoints eq. You know what I ask for in splits? HITPOINT EQ. You know why? Because if you don't have 1100hp, you can kiss your ass goodbye almost every zone, and I'm not putting up with all that ressing crap. So don't tell me warriors do damage, we don't do anything except take the hits, and apparently that will now nerfed.

Ya know, we have a hard enough time coming up with a cleric, rogue, invoker and enchanter, personally I don't want to sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for that illusionist and elementalist to log on - because they never will. Honestly I'm starting to hate this 'diversity' and 'you need 1 of every class else you can't zone' crap, because there just AREN'T ENOUGH PEOPLE.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Aug 24, 2001 9:06 am

Read my post again, the changes are going to be pretty minor overall. My intention isn't to FORCE you to bring an elementalist, only to allow them to be a viable option.

Nobody's nerfing Warriors, just making a few adjustments.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Aug 24, 2001 12:28 pm

nerf alert, nerf alert! Image

*nods* chez.. we have a couple warrior types with around 1khps vitted, and they still get slapped around pretty nicely in big fights.
Send in palidan tank.. send in warriors to rescue mobs off palidan.. hope crits don't kill people before full heals get off.

Oh.. thats another thing.. its starting to piss me off when FH does 350hps.. kinda makes me feel stupid having to throw 3 full heals on the tank to get them healthy after a couple rounds of crits.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Aug 24, 2001 12:36 pm

Maybe I sounded a bit hostile or harsh, what I meant was that I wouldn't like it to be made so that you need *and* an elementalist *and* an illusionist along with the standard rogue/psi/cleric/war/enchanter/invoker, this would make it almost impossible for evils to do anything Image PC tanking is hard enough as it is.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”