Bashing 101

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Fri Aug 24, 2001 1:03 am

Good thoughts!
Maybe now I can survive with warriors not trying to bash the same mob :-)

'nother topic or two that might be useful for warrior/bashing 101, cause I've seen warriors fuck it up a couple times.
* Glance Bashing. (glance at the damn mob, bash when its shield is down, for gods sakes _don't_ let it reshield and THEN bash it.)

* Fighting shielded mobs. Remove weapons you dolts! (lets you not kill yourself on the mob in 2rounds)

* Stay calm no matter what happens. Freaking out if you miss a bash is bad and can get a group killed quickly.

Idea, might be nice on one of the unofficial soj3 webpages to start compiling a list of beginning topics for each class or something of the sort where we can point Mr. Newbie Warrior/Enchanter/Cleric,etc. to...

------------------
-<(#)>- Xebes makes your heart start to race REAL FAST!
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Fri Aug 24, 2001 1:05 am

A few things about this. It would probably be much easier to have the code put the mob at the bottom of the 'look list' instead of the top. Otherwise, make a list of bashers on the group (best to worst, and not necessarily dictated by level or bashing skill) and have the #1 basher bash the target and if something else enters, #2 basher bashes it, and so on. If you DON'T know the area, put #2 basher as primary, and make #1 basher the one to make the decision.
Ultimately, make good friends with a ghealer as they will give you (the leader) those precious few seconds to bark out commands to the group and hopefully prevent a spank. Being one of the bashers AND being the group leader makes it really difficult. Since I haven't played a warrior like you guys have, this is the most proactive approach I can think of, off the top of my head. Image

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Fri Aug 24, 2001 2:12 am

I remember when warriors would get their butts chewed out up and down for hours if they owned up to using bash triggers.

now everyone has bash triggers.

maybe i need to play my warrior again and teach some of the up and coming doods. 6 years is a lot of warrior xp after all Image

Jegzed clambers to his feet.
bash
Teyaha clambers to her feet.
bash
Vassyr clambers to his feet.
bash

etc.

like warrior needs anything interrupting rescue triggers, especially with how many mobs appear to be quaking more Image

just my two cents..count them three rounds, watch for the clamber...hotkey the rescues...live in skeletons for a week...etc.
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Fri Aug 24, 2001 6:27 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dinggle:
now everyone has bash triggers.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bash triggers are fine for mindless xps. Not for zoning. No auto bash while zoning. Bad.. Very bad.

Trogar
Klurg
Sojourner

Postby Klurg » Fri Aug 24, 2001 10:48 am

Agree with Trogar bash triggers are nice for mindless exp but is completely a NO NO during zones... What I find usefull for autobashers is to keep a string list of the group and compare anything that stands up against the list. If Its a group member that stands up dont bash if not bash well u get the point. Works until them goodies starts memming in yer room Image

/Klurg
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Aug 24, 2001 10:55 am

Actually, on occasion I use bash triggers in zones, for example in crypts. And they work perfectly, you just have to write them correctly Image
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:48 am

Yep, triggering off mob name is a good start, and not hard to code, adding in a wait timer helps even more incase of many of same type of mob.

Twyl
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:05 am

I only brought up the bash trigger thing to make the simple point that the mud is simply not played the same way anymore. it's good in some ways, but very very bad in others.

there is skill required in playing a warrior, and skill in knowing HOW to bash. it's not just simply 'bash 1.lich', it requires practice and some skill with the class.

a lot of the really skilled folks are gone now, replaced by new mudders with their first ever high level character, or old mudders with their first ever high level warrior. the skill takes some time, the mud is new, some of these folks are new.

give it time. it'll come around..it always does.

Teyaha (who played a warrior for 6 years and just cant do it anymore! ugh!)
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Aug 25, 2001 9:43 am

Darn what am I doing in manscorps/seers/crypts/brass/tf/cc/demi??? Apparently I need to be in tower! Image(
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Aug 25, 2001 1:21 pm

Cherzra is in all those zones simultaneously? My analysis- Cherzra is very big.

Yayaril
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Sat Aug 25, 2001 1:33 pm

I believe the proper word would be FAT! Don't tease him though. He says its all because of a thyroid condition.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Sep 21, 2001 2:05 pm

blah bash triggers are good unless you have to bash more than one mob. Especially in high spam fights.

More than one mob, i like to target the mob im bashing and use action clamber to bash. its lame but it works even when i cant read the screen even when a few folks stand up before my mob does. before folks start talkign about the damage output im not contributing to the main target rethink that. When was the last time someone said damn we cant do jot/invasion not enough hitters on heh.

As for mobs walking into the room, thats tough. need a veteran warrior with mad skillz (or a good connectino and lots of gags) to handle that or some luck.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Sep 21, 2001 2:31 pm

Tog Condensed Kiryan it'll help tons in those spam fights, and assume anytime a caster's gettin hit, its bad and rescue.

I'd like to thank Cap'n Touk for posting this, I played a warrior for 6 yrs, and its uncommon for most warriors unless they've practiced these things to know about them. I agree w/ X-man about it being a great idea to have things like this posted for every class.... perhaps have some vets from each class do a guest posting... kinda like bein asked to be on Letterman...

Tonight on the S3 show.... Belleshel the Ranger will be here.... tomorrow night we'll be having Cherzra Troll Warrior here.... and next week... Maelgwyn, Barbarian Shaman... Styxar da Druid... ad infinitum. This would definately help with newbies/lowbies learning core skills to make it in the dangerous and exciting world of S3.

Hey, you could even do a separate area in the forum for it, have a help section, and have it broken down into the various classes. Nothing huge given away, just how to actually play a specific class, and avoid MAJOR mistakes.

Toplack

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”