Death of the Evil Races

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Todrael
Sojourner

Death of the Evil Races

Postby Todrael » Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:18 pm

The evil races are on a decline. The good races are increasing in size and strength. My suggestion? Bring back the outcast system.

Before you all start shouting at me, at least let me explain it. This would be an option in the login menu. It would allow you to take a good race character of any class (excepting paladin and ranger?) and outcast it yourself, allowing them to group with the evil races and not able to enter the good race hometowns. Whether they would still be allowed to group with the good races, and would be restricted from !goodrace eq and able to wear evilrace only eq is debateable, but my underlying idea remains.

The outcast flag was removed for many reasons. One was that it created a huge administration nightmare, which will not be a problem now as it is driven completely by the players and hard coded with easy flags and would be tagged with warnings. The other was for roleplaying reasons. A human would not group with a troll. However, in the interest of mud community and a drive to allow everyone opportunity in this realm, we have allowed even Liches to group with Paladins and Rangers. This shows that the arguments for roleplaying are purely superficial and should not be taken into account.

This change would allow fantastic opportunities for character diversity that are not realized now. Character view possibilities would be increased dramatically. The evil population would receive fresh blood and new power. I also don't feel it would overbalance the evil races in any way. I already feel that we are more powerful in zones than the good races, and the additions of druids and anti-paladins to these groups would not increase their effectiveness over much.

Diversity and the common interest of the player to pursue the game as they choose would be upheld. Balance would be easy to keep. The evil races would receive 'new blood' so to speak. Maybe I would be able to unidle.

-Todrael
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:27 pm

Why would anyone not outcast? Not being able to go into hometowns is really more of an annoyance than a balance feature. The evil side would have access to druids and anti-paladins, and outcasts would be free to group with whomever they choose under your system. Basically this would be a "Do you want to be able to group with everyone? Y/N" toggle.

- Ragorn
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:29 pm

Sigh. Please reread my post. "Whether they would still be allowed to group with the good races, and would be restricted from !goodrace eq and able to wear evilrace only eq is debateable." You're obviously against being able to group with good races after outcasting. Thank you, please add something constructive if you decide to come again.

-Todrael, tired of repeating himself

[This message has been edited by Todrael (edited 10-10-2001).]
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:38 pm

Why are evil races declining?

Here's one possible reason.
On with my troll in DK. I eq'd him up with some spare stuff I had from playing alts.
In a group with a caster or 2 helping them level.
One caster say mind if another caster joins?
I say sure.
After this caster with us for a little bit he looks at me.
His words were something like this:
You think you would look any more like a goodie if I branded you as one?

My response was:
If it makes you feel better and enjoy the game more, by all means do so.

This is not isolated, I had it happen in Soj2 as well.
What is it with some evils that don't realize people can and will
play on both sides of the fence.

No one cares when an evil brings his pbone shield up from ghore to WD,
but god forbid you bring a tiny silver ring into DK

Note: these comments were in no way RP, they were blatent hatered and disregard.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:42 pm

What you are referring to Gindipple is what I call 'a prick'. They exist in all societies as insidious and nasty little creatures that harm those around them. They are impossible to avoid, on the good or evil side of the coin. Trust me, your good raced friends are also infested by these 'pricks'.

-Todrael
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:56 pm

I just don't think it would solve anything. If people wanted to group with evils they would just roll evils! Image Granted, it would give evils access to two classes they otherwise don't have... but it would still be the AP or druids choice whether they wanted to outcast or not. So the most likely outcome of that is that some of your dedicated evil trolls might decide to go outcast AP, there wouldn't really be more people going evil...

From an RP perspective it would make sense that AP's and druids could group with some of the evils. Not trolls or ogres though... trolls especially would be too stupid to see a druid as anything but a light snack. Image More intelligent races like drow would have no problem using a druid for their personal gain however...
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:59 pm

If anyone wants my services, it's 100 platinum an hour.

Baratos
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Oct 10, 2001 7:01 pm

We dont need anything the goodies got. We do need some new players. We also need to regain what we lost and that was the sense of community. The sense that you could count on your fellow evils even if it included them dieing a few times losing eq or whatever other sacrifices that have been made.

I think evils are a victim of their own success atm.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Oct 10, 2001 7:09 pm

We need their players. Concept of a character is a large determining factor in what you roll up when you create. Some don't want to be ugly beast trolls or hideous monstrosities, ogres. A barbarian warrior, outcast, fighting alongside the nefarious drow? That has some appeal. This is why there are so many classes in the first place. Not diversity of skill, but diversity of conceptualization.

-Todrael
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Wed Oct 10, 2001 7:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B> We also need to regain what we lost and that was the sense of community. The sense that you could count on your fellow evils even if it included them dieing a few times losing eq or whatever other sacrifices that have been made.

I think evils are a victim of their own success atm.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn straight. The evils have leaders of high mettle (when they're on), and we have some really great players who know their classes inside and out, but we're not the same evils we were on soj2, or toril. Toril evils were in their infancy, but still helped each other out without fail. On soj2 we really came into our prime. Just about every newbie had help, and when you helped them, they told you how much nicer the player base was on the evil side. Really made you feel like you were part of an 'elite' community in the sense that you knew what was important and were willing to sacrifice some of your time helping others.

That's gone now and it's not easy to say why. Sure there are still people that help, but I think evils lost some key people and that some attitudes have soured.

I always was thrilled to see gledrukmig/mezheru on because not only was he a great guy to talk to, he took large groups of newbies around ALL THE TIME. He was always showing them the ropes and helping them out and congratulating them.
People like him made evils more noob friendly.

We still have (IMO) the better playerbase, but I don't think that, by and large, they take the time to group with newbies and show them around. I, myself, am guilty of this. When I do, I try and get some decent mid-level eq for people so they feel like they're doing something interesting.

Don't sweat our numbers, just be helpful to the people who DO roll up an evil.

------------------
·Kuurg·
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Oct 10, 2001 7:45 pm

Rausrh still here.
Rausrh always here.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Wed Oct 10, 2001 7:52 pm

I totally agree with Tod to bring back the outcast system. I think it made for great roleplay.

It was said that it was removed because the gods couldn't administer it, ie: watching after players to make sure they're not grouping. But if it were possible to choose outcast at the beginning, that would rock!!

I think at LEAST human's should have the option. I don't see a problem with the rest, but I could see arguments for elves/dwarves/inherently GOOD races. The ones that can't start with evil alignment.

Bottom line is that i think on average there are 50% as many evils as there are goods, and i dont think that allowing to choose to be an outcast and group with evils would unbalance the mud.

Ragorn, you said 'who would be good if all you had to be was outcast??!' there were PLENTY of people in soj1 and toril that absolutely refused to group with trolls/ogres because they didn't want to get outcasted.

Not to go on another rant or start another argument, but from a RP standpoint, I dont think rangers and pally's should be able to group with anti's/necros, and pallys should have it even harder because they can detect evil. mebbe make it kick them out of group if an evil character is already in it i dunno.

E
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:00 pm

OldSkoolEvil says 'most of you goodies who turned evils..don't know what it means to play one..so you can go back to playing a goodie as Teyaha here was already told to do'

i remember after i met and made friends with turg and krolb that i was warned several times 'dont let (soandsooldskoolevil) know you played a goodie'

if the old skool evils continue to disparage the goodies that have come over to this side they will leave, go back and you'll have less and less players.

Besides being a goodie was never a cake walk either. The evils had few players, everyone knew everyone. The goodies had a LOT of players and you never knew half the players really. You really had to work to make yourself known in a sea of unknowns. And we had to deal with bidding system with elementals that was wrought with corruption for a very long time.

whether you played a goodie or evil means shit. you are either a good player or you aren't. it's prejudice, plain and simple.

If you want more evil players, the condascending attitudes must stop.

Teyaha, an evil who no longer plays.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:02 pm

I was considering rolling an evil cleric or something. You guys need any?

The only thing I'm not sure of is having to go through all of the pain of leveling up a cleric again.. lol
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:11 pm

Rylan, we are in need of all classes, clerics in particular.

Teyaha, if anyone has the attitude, it's you. Read your post and see if there's any place where you are -not- bashing others, or blaming any problem you might have encountered on someone other than yourself? I was never an evil race before this wipe. I have not receieved a single tell or remark on this in the 5+ months the mud has been open.

Even if this is just a problem of 'attitude' as many people seem to think, returning the outcast system as an option to characters would help to alleviate the stress and problems of the current life evils lead.

-Todrael
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:22 pm

I was against outcasting, and for the first 4 months things were fine without it.

However lately, I haven't zoned in 2 weeks, when I type who evil there are max 10 people on, 2 over lvl 40, while who goodie is 100 people with 20 over 40, I couldn't care less about it and really wish OC were allowed again.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:50 pm

I kinda think it'd be fun to roll up a character simply for the sole purpose of being an outcast. Perhaps rather than toggling it at the beginning, set a level (say, 20) where one may write an RP story of a certain length, submit it, have it approved, and then be flagged an outcast.

I want to play an outcast! Outcast me!

Why do you want to play an outcast?

Because it's cool to group with trolls!

So roll up an evil.

I want to plan an outcast! Outcast me!

Why do you want to play an outcast?

Well, the fact that I lead a band of drow raiders back to Mithril Hall, where they slaughtered a couple hundred dwarves hasn't made me too popular back at home.

Oh, ok. Sure, go right ahead.

- Grungar "Whoops, my drow slipped" Forgefire

I can't spell. Hence the edit.

[This message has been edited by Grungar (edited 10-10-2001).]
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Wed Oct 10, 2001 9:38 pm

I tried evil, for three hours, and after dying to a level 1 skeleton in the newbie zone this morning, I finally gave up. Image

I am wondering if the only way to play evil is to start out with a warrior type until you can get enough basic equipment to hand it over to a class I really want to play. Problem with that is that I have never had much interesting in warriors, so have to determine whether or not putting 50+ hours into a warrior is worth it to get some basic equipment onto a class I really want to play.

Hugs!
Shayla
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Oct 10, 2001 9:59 pm

I'll roll up a duergar warrior if someone will toss me a two handed mithril battle hammer- those things rule.

Yayaril
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Oct 10, 2001 10:59 pm

lol yaya.. I can just imaging all the trouble you would cause with that thing! :P
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Wed Oct 10, 2001 11:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cap'n Touk:
<B>What if for say.. the next month, we say "to hell with evil/good borders" and let everyone group with everyone. That way people can roll up evils and play with the goodies thereby making groups, and high levels on evil side can supplement themselves with high level goodies.

Was never huge into roleplaying and have a bunch 'o friends over there it'd be a blast to group with. Just an idea Image

Toukageuia</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea, methinks Image
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Oct 10, 2001 11:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Todrael:
<B>Sigh. Please reread my post. "Whether they would still be allowed to group with the good races, and would be restricted from !goodrace eq and able to wear evilrace only eq is debateable." You're obviously against being able to group with good races after outcasting. Thank you, please add something constructive if you decide to come again.

-Todrael, tired of repeating himself

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your post makes no sense.

I, as a good race Druid, decide to outcast. According to your post, I am now banned from !goodrace equipment, which I was banned from ANYWAY, being a good race. In fact, it's "debatable" that I would now get to wear evil race only equipment, which would be a huge boon, since now outcasted warriors "might" have access to troll gaunts and lightning patches and shit. Ok so maybe, "debatably", I can't group with good races anymore, which is the only possible detriment you outlined in your post. But that's not such a detriment anymore, because now half the mud can simply outcast a character and load him up with twinky goodness from their primaries.

I don't know if you know, but using ! means not. !goodrace means not-goodrace, or equipment restricted to evil races only. You said !goodrace TWICE so it's not a typo, yet it makes no sense, which leads me to believe you have NO idea what you're rattling on about. You probably meant that they would be banned from using goodrace-only equipment, of which there is very little, but that's not what you SAID.

Y'know.. just because I have a level 23 character doesn't mean I haven't played this game for 6 years, including the closed alpha which I don't remember seeing you in. You need to take the ridiculously condescending tone out of your posts like you have a reason to talk down to me.

- Ragorn
TIRED of elitist players.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Oct 10, 2001 11:42 pm

Ragorn, please don't post on this thread again unless you have something constructive to say about the idea itself. If you have issues with me, please send me a tell on the mud. And yes, what you pointed out is what is commonly known as a typo. I meant restricted from using good-race only eq.

-Todrael

[This message has been edited by Todrael (edited 10-10-2001).]
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Thu Oct 11, 2001 12:57 am

First off, Evils race main and only class is warrior. There are no Sub-warrior class. With all the recent changes, most don't think warrior class worth playing.

Secondly, yuan-ti is the best class for caster, and "Only" class to be illusionist. Hyssk is ten-thousand miles. Only take you an hr to CR your corpse in dk. Good luck.

Lastly, some of us are busy doing stuff in RL. School, work, etc...

What I seen lately is some of us got bored of doing the same zone over and over again. New zone (2, 9hells, Myth Drannor) not even worth the trouble. classes/spells being downgrade left and right. S3 seem to put alot of focus on "balance" instead of trying to build playerbase/add more zones/add classes. After a while, players lost interest and move on to other stuff. I think S3 staffs forgot that afterall this is a "GAME" and game suppose to be "FUN".
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Thu Oct 11, 2001 1:17 am

Heh, I agree with touk. I wanna group with some of my goodie friends :P

Or at least outcast or something *sigh*

P.s. Teyaha, I was a goodie last wipe. Lots and lots of evils know about it. Didnt really stop me. *shrug*
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 11, 2001 1:21 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ShaylaRose:
<B>I tried evil, for three hours, and after dying to a level 1 skeleton in the newbie zone this morning, I finally gave up. Image

I am wondering if the only way to play evil is to start out with a warrior type until you can get enough basic equipment to hand it over to a class I really want to play. Problem with that is that I have never had much interesting in warriors, so have to determine whether or not putting 50+ hours into a warrior is worth it to get some basic equipment onto a class I really want to play.

Hugs!
Shayla</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

shayla, no.
Trick is to band together in groups Image
I leveled a nekkid squid to 15 last boot.

I want to OC again, I played OC druid once and it was pretty fun... just have to relearn certain things, and have some people promise to fix your align after it gets shot to hell.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Thu Oct 11, 2001 11:52 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
Y'know.. just because I have a level 23 character doesn't mean I haven't played this game for 6 years, including the closed alpha which I don't remember seeing you in. You need to take the ridiculously condescending tone out of your posts like you have a reason to talk down to me.

- Ragorn
TIRED of elitist players.[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just wanted you to take a look at what you wrote here dude. Everything you said there appears to be the generalized "elitist" attitude. I especially like the "I didn't see you there" part... that was classy.

Allow me to point out that you have said little or nothing about the topic at hand. It also seems you have blatently attacked someone after he has done everything to discourage you politely from doing so. Just hate to see it done for really stupid reasons.. such as the ones we have all seen above.

My on subject post will follow this.. flame?

-Jaznolg
Someone else you didn't see in closed alpha testing that wanted to be there.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Thu Oct 11, 2001 11:58 am

I liked the outcast system as I'm sure many others did. I would like to see it brought back if for no other reason than to add something more to the game.. another option or path to take. One that is rarely taken at that.. that also has adverse effects purely for the sake of RP. Why it was removed I dunno... why Anti-Paladins can group with Paladins and not be foresaken by thier god and/or hometown.. I also don't know.

-Jaznolg
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu Oct 11, 2001 2:06 pm

Ragorn are you for real?
Teyaha good riddence.
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:07 pm

Moritheil, I would have LOVED to group. After 3 hours of play, though, I saw a total of one evil person (lvl 1 Ogre who didn't reply to any of my light banter) and was certainly not going to beg/bug higher level evils to power level me Image

Thus, left to my own efforts as a Psionicist, I found my options were either to die fast or die slow Image

Hugs!
Shayla
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:15 pm

The newbie zone is much harder than any mobs you can find around hometowns. I recommend you just enter Sojourn instead of looking around it (of course AFTER doing the tuturial, which is good, and getting some fungus balls for food).

If you are human, just head to the TP or faerie forest.

Similarly, if you are a drow, head to the slave penns on Ust circle. Or if you are an illithid, head west to the rothe farms. Etcetera...
Aedarton
Sojourner

Postby Aedarton » Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:21 pm

If I roll up an evil what is the class/race that is most needed ?
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:24 pm

I will check out the Rothe's, Cherzra, thank you Image

I was told to try Psi/Illithid by a level 50 evil. Image But in all honesty, in reading most of this, it seems that just about everything is needed except (my favorite) enchanters.

Hugs!
Shayla
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aedarton:
If I roll up an evil what is the class/race that is most needed ?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm.. we have lots of warriors, so it will be hard to get into zone groups at higher levels - even tho leveling up may be easierst.

Basically lacking casters mostly, any kind. Enchanters are on really short supply atm.

But play anything you want, everyone is welcome Image
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ShaylaRose:
<B>I will check out the Rothe's, Cherzra, thank you Image

I was told to try Psi/Illithid by a level 50 evil. Image But in all honesty, in reading most of this, it seems that just about everything is needed except (my favorite) enchanters.

Hugs!
Shayla</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hadn't realized you weren't doing the rothe area. Hey, if I see you, I'll pull out a squid of my own, and we can have fun projecting our feeble lowbie telekinetic rays at hapless cows =).
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Thu Oct 11, 2001 4:06 pm

-laugh- Okay, look for "Sazzi" -grin-

Hugs!
Shayla
Fezbozz
Sojourner

Postby Fezbozz » Thu Oct 11, 2001 8:01 pm

I think the outcast system needs to stay out. I always thought that the outcasts in a lot of ways has it better then anybody. They could exp with evils and goodies do zones with evils and goodies so they couldn't get into a few hometowns big deal. I always felt it was the easy way out to outcast a caster so you didn't have to deal with no seeing or having hyssk for a hometown. Roleplay value is pretty moot point because it is mostly nonexistant here anyway. I do think evils should get a couple warrior sub classes just for varieties sake. Rangers and Anti\Pally are fun classes but by no means make or break a group but it would be good to have some variety to those who like to play hybrid class types. As for needing new classes I was bored and readying posts because like my last time around as a goodie I am having a hard time finding exp groups with my rogue. I see evils are hurting for casters and well since I played a drow voker all last wipe I said maybe I should go back. I see evils need enchanters so I rolled one up tried to kill outside of dk and couldn't kill anything then a warrior gave me a couple pieces of cheap eq that didn't really help me kill anything but was nice of him none the less. I don't want handouts but I asked all the lower level people to group and was either ignored or told no or whatever. So after half an hour I just gave up. I could have spent 12 hours to get to level 2 but I just rather group with someone. Don't get me wrong I don't want to be pleveled but any group would have been nice. I just kind of saw it as evils must not really need new people all that badly. If they don't even want to group with new people. I didn't ask high level people to help me just people from about level 15 down and couldn't find a soul.
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Fri Oct 12, 2001 12:52 am

My eyes hurt from that paragraph. Do you think that the evils that put the time and work into leveling and zoning should welcome every first level, give them equipment and plevel them up? Is that your argument? Evils should bend over backwards putting ourselves out for 1st levels?

I know i have helped 10-12 1st level evils become 9-11th level.. but then they quit.. screw that.. Im not going to waste hours and hours leveling people for them never to play again, because they aren't taken by the hand and showed to 50th level.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Oct 12, 2001 1:23 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">wd, plum full of peeople yelling and noone is listening, whut a shitty town, goodies just plain blow, every time i dougt that i log my ranger on and cruise around a while, come spend time in an evil town awhile, noones shouting, noones trying to sell/buy eq, we give that stuff away, most everyone of us is happy to offer assistance and answere questions, bad is better by far id say
- <a href=http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000594.html>Turxx</a></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh... maybe you guys should make up your minds about this?

Seriously though, I don't see asking other lowbies for a group is begging all the evils to bend over backwards and plevel you. Sounds to me like he just wanted a group... which is pretty much a requirement if you want to get a caster past level 1.

Sarvis

[This message has been edited by Sarvis (edited 10-11-2001).]
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:02 am

<>
The Northern End of a Quiet Canyon
Room size: Mid-sized (L:20 ft W:20 ft H:10 ft)
Exits: - North - South
A small pile of coins.
A rothe seems to have wandered out of Ixarkon undetected.
<>
You can sense the growing pain in a lost rothe's mind.
< T: Sazzixxinin TC: excellent E: rothe EC: few scratches>
A lost rothe half kills you with its mighty charge!
YIKES! Another hit like that, and you've had it!!
You wish that your wounds would stop BLEEDING so much!

You pierce a lost rothe very hard.
< T: Sazzixxinin TC: bleeding, close to death E: rothe EC: small wounds>

You flee southward!
<>
You roll on the floor laughing.
<> Xalke tells you 'thanks'

You project 'I have -1 (14) hits, 81 (101) psp's, 56 (90) movement points.'

Umm.. Maybe Rothes aren't such a good idea after all Image

Hugs!
Shayla
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Fri Oct 12, 2001 4:12 am

hey shayla if you wanna get started as a drow or something lemme know i get you started.

squid VERY hard first level
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Fri Oct 12, 2001 4:42 am

Grintor, you are very kind! Image As it turns out, I *DO* have a drow and have already received help breaking in! Thank you kindly, though. Perhaps you will be lucky enough to group with my little drow enchantress sometime even! -evil grin- -wink-

Hugs!
Shayla
Fezbozz
Sojourner

Postby Fezbozz » Fri Oct 12, 2001 7:34 am

Yeah I knew someone would say I wanted eq and to be powerleveled. I reread my post and it seems to me I never said that. I just wanted a group to get exp for an enchanter with starting gear. Last wipe all I played was evils I had a 40 plus troll warrior and a 40 plus drow voker and have played here for over 5 years and done all the hard work. Well not really I don't think sitting playing a mud is hard work I do it for fun. I played goods because all my RL friends wanted to and I rather group with them but I liked the evil side better. They have all begun to stop playing and I saw you guys need more players so I figured the time was right to go back to the darkside I loved last wipe. I had a blast last wipe doing stuff with Lazz and all those guys. I never whined or complained about not getting the best eq. I just enjoyed the experience of seeing great players and getting what I got. I try not to get mad when people miss the meaning of a post. I think if you read my post about what happened you can see I didn't want handouts and I said that I just wanted a group to do exp in but I guess I should have just found a way to solo until I am high level enough to matter. I never asked anyone over level 15 to group because I don't want to be powerleveled. I am not lazy. I also never pointed a finger at a specific player because I don't know why I was turned down could have been all good reasons. Just seemed odd to me that if evils need players so bad why they wouldn't want to group with new players. I still can't figure out why someone would get so ticked by my post but hey whatever. I know I never whined about not being handed a bunch of eq or being pleveled but I guess some people think wanting to group is to much to ask for.
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Fri Oct 12, 2001 8:10 am

Kinda think outcasting is silly. I agree that good races should group with good races and evils with evils. If i wanna group with a goodie i'll role a goodie. (heh that thought hasnt crossed my mind once this wipe, nor will it), This grouping with all races/classes goes against all roleplay in my opinion. If a paladin of Tyr would ever been seen in a party with my drow assassin, i think wed all see Tyr the Almighty role over in his grave.

What im getting at is there are race divisions for a reason. As far as grouping goes I agree with how the admins have it set up.

Evils just have alot of people away/working or on at different time zones. Its really a timing thing i think. Somedays there isnt enough to zone with and others sometimes I cant join the groups cause they all maxed.

Evils are a great bunch of people and a great bunch of good players. The day I taint myself as a drow assassin and take up with goodly paladins and rangers is the day ill slit my own throat Image

Nilan Image
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Fri Oct 12, 2001 11:13 am

Fezbozz, It isn't just you. It seems to be a more and more comon theme. I log on and multiple low levels are asking me to plevel them. I dont mind giving some lowbie eq, or some time to help get a couple levels, but its just really annoying that if they arent given 20+ level then they just quit, the evils dont deserve them.

I'd rather not zone, then deal with that... your not doing us favors by rolling up evils, we dont "owe" people who roll up evils to help us. Roll characters to have fun, not to "save the evils"

We dont need saving.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:14 pm

Gromikazer tells you 'what's up man'
You tell Gromikazer 'doin vault'
Gromikazer prowls in from the east.
Gromikazer starts following you.
Gromikazer tells you 'sooooo booored!'

Sucks for the evils who have nothing to do now...but I don't think that complaining about a lack of leaders is nessecary...people that complain about lack of leadership need to take the initiative to try and learn to lead or not complain about it.

3nj0y because I am l33t and you are not Image
Well maybe Todrael is....WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Mon Oct 15, 2001 4:19 am

I don't want to be mean here, and will try to keep my post constructive. For the first 6 months here on the mud all we heard from the evils is how much better they were, how much quicker they leveled, and how much sooner they were doing to fun zones that we all love on the mud.

There were also a ton of posts from evils saying that the goodies suck, bidding sucks, evils do everything better etc. Now if you guys have everything the best, why are your numbers dwindling so quickly? I am not trying to be smug here or anything, I am just confused. As a scientist I kinda view this like isotopes. You guys were the high energy short lived isotopes. You lived fast, played hard, and burned up. Are most of your players quiting, or just on hiatus? It is sad to see the blossoming of the evil side (after all these years) returning to how it was when there were only trolls and ogres.

I am not in favor of the return of outcasting btw. I am good RL friends with Koldar, the invoker who went outcast last wipe. He had no penalties so to speak of being an outcast. So what if he couldn't go to Waterdeep. He had relocate. If he couldn't find a group with the goodies, he would go get one with the evils. If he was grouping with the goodies and something better came up with the evils, he would leave and join them. So he got the best of eq from both sides of the game, and had no other problems. The outcasting system was always a joke. I would not like to see it return in any format. If you guys want some of the goodies to join you, get them to roll up a similar class on the evil side, instead of snagging one from the goodie side. And yes I read your post Todrael about starting as an outcast from the rolling stage. I still don't like the idea.

In my opinion, the major problem with the decay of the evil player base is that it is actually two factions. One half of your players are European and one half are here in North America. Both sub-groups have different schedules and playtimes. Its hard to do anything when both sets are on at opposite times.

Ya know, instead of trying to recruit people from the goodie side, you also have the option of leveling up a goodie and zoning with us as well. Despite what some of you think, we are all not elitist scum who don't help newbies. I enjoy handing out some newbie type gear, teaching spells, and grouping with newbies when I get the time. It reminds me of when I started mudding on here. And I do agree with you that you have some good leaders. Sok and Roak (Lazz) were good leaders when they were on the goodie side years ago.

Before I finish my rambling, I think that the evil base needs to fix some of its problems first before its player base will increase. Like that post about someone who rolled an evil and gave them some typical goodie newbie stuff. So what if they played a goodie, and why does the evil need to care that they did. Despite that opinion, the player who starts as an evil and only plays an evil is no better of a mudder than someone who played/plays a goodie as well. I have never really played an evil (few low level trolls, ogres, and squids) but nothing I devoted any time to. But I think that if I were to devote all of my time to being an evil, I don't think it would be any harder than some of the stuff I currently do. Shrug. I just think the fall from your high horses is finally causing some pain. Flame me if you want, but this is just my opinion of why things happened. Enjoy Image

Lyt
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Oct 15, 2001 5:16 am

Evils have had less players all along than goods have. Player base on mud has dwindled. This has effected goods as well as evils. Difference is evils have gone from having just enough people to zone effectively to below that limit. This should be a very simple formula to figure out for a scientist, unless of course you meant social scientist.
Frobakhal
Sojourner

Postby Frobakhal » Mon Oct 15, 2001 5:29 am

[Teyaha]
[OldSkoolEvil says 'most of you goodies who turned evils..don't know what it means to play one..so you can go back to playing a goodie as Teyaha here was already told to do']

Seems that you extracted a piece of a conversation as I recall that you twisted into your own diabolic way of thinking to yet inflict ideas into the masses....

-'most of you goodies who turned evils..don't know what it means to play one-

1. This means helping your fellow comrade, not saying repeatedly your afk between repops when a group member asks help with getting a corpse to a resser when that whole process of the -exp run approx 25mins with a 10min break between pop occurs.

2. This also means that hearing one complaining constantly about how things suck, standing around doing nothing but witnessing the occasional complaint to let everyone know how you feel instead of offering to make the evil side a more enjoyable place to be, then go play a goodie. I'm sure -some- particular people have already been told this. (read helpfile playing evils as they are not an easy race to play)

3. Yes I admit the comment was a bit uncalled for, but you don't hear me complaining constantly about how badly evils suck. I actually don't think the majority of them suck....even if they did, I'd welcome the willing learner and help them out as best as I could as I have done with many noobs, and others have done with me. I've talked it over with a necro about starting an associate one night with just role-playing individuals who enjoy having a 'happy' mud experience...we had a blast one night and she also thought that some evils were a bit less friendly then they use to be. I'm more then willing to be a part of this, as durring soj1 much of the old school evils were close knit and always there if you were in a jam. Not the I'm to busy message that some people seem to have whenever things aren't geared for helping themselves.

4. If you find it to stressful on the evil side due to to many requests for resses, gates, shifts, etc...then don't play that class...It's almost expected that if you play a cleric that you'll be doing quite a few resses in the near future if you're an experienced player, if you aren't ready for that then yes, go and stick to playing a goodie.

Anyone that comment was from me, and it was durring a frustrating moment as I was having a problem with a specific named player that his name was closely linked to mine. Part of the problem was he didn't even choose the name himself..a god didn't like his previous name and set that name without even realizing how close it was, and the fact the given player did agree to change and and I helped him to come up with ideas for another only to find out later on he decided not to change it and didn't give a reason as to why he didn't want it changed expect that he wouldn't remember the name as his memory wasn't very good. (Considering how some people don't particularly enjoy having their names copied, and to save the headache of having to type out more then one syllable, the confusion of players thinking that so and so is not in fact who they are, etc, etc....and in most cases how most players are referred to their first syllable this was to reduce any frustration from myself and others, as this person did agree with name change at level 8 when I spoke with him)

Anyhow people decided to get involed without considering how some people feel about these circumstances and are to eager to be voiceterous of their opinions caused the situation to heat up. I apologized to this player and told him that I no longer had a problem with him keeping the name, but I do feel some of my own individuality robbed from me because a single player and others decided it wasn't something important and of any major concern. Perhaps it isn't important to many players, but sometimes these things can be personal, sure it's just a game...but for some people it's also a destinction. Anyhow I wanted to bring this up as I had in the past made up named which were very close to other peoples and without hesitation changed it because it wasn't 'a big deal' to me at the time, and I 'wanted' to be distint. Taking things to lightly can sometimes work against players and make them want to leave. Before anyone starts flaming me about this, I want to state that this other person that I don't want to reveal the name just so I'm not pointing fingers and I have come to terms and I'm over it.

What does bother me is these excerpts that Teyaha seems to focus on to make the mud much more sour then it is. Any right minded person on the evil side knows that I'm not to undermind them and I've helped many people, I always try to be friendly and occasionally I blow up as in this case...I'm not ashamed about it, we all have out limits.

What I wish though is to see less poking fingers at and more helping coming from evils that complain about evils.

Actions speak louder then words...so lets see some positiveness on the evil side and willingness to help rather then side back in the bleachers and not raise a finger to help out but throw rotten apples into the crowd.

I miss the days when helping people out of jams was actually a fun get away and a challenge from the ordinary. I chose to play an evil because of that family type distinction evils use to have over playing a goodie where you were out to be better then so and so....That's why my comment earlier was about...those goodies who wanted to play evils and be the better then you type...well you can go back to playing a goodie imho.

Anyhow I wanted to explain myself as most people who don't know me may get the wrong impression. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

No longer your old friend Fro or Frob, but the new Frobak. Image

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”