Downgrade the BBS!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Downgrade the BBS!

Postby Jhorr » Mon Nov 05, 2001 8:33 am

One difference between Toril of old and the MUD now is this BBS. I like that it facilitates communication between admins and players but I think we players overdo it. I mean, look at the number of posts. 20,000+ at this point? Geez. This board has led to squabbling and microanalysis of issues that were previously not pursued so vehemently. Personally, I'm not sure the MUD is a better place for it. We players should spend more time enjoying the game and less time negotiating it's features, in my opinion. I wonder to what extent this BBS alone has influenced the gameplaying climate on Sojourn 3?

Thoughts?
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Mon Nov 05, 2001 9:22 am

But but but.. the bbs tanks better than a warrior, can heal 1500 hps in one spell and is !summ !track !dim.. err wait, wrong thread!

nod me, heh

Dornax
Jurdex
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Nov 05, 2001 9:34 am

I think if we downgrade Corth enough, it'll average out all the other problems on the mud and everything will sort of balance.

- Ragorn
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:44 am

I know im l33t

Corth
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:11 am

Stop mocking my discussion topic! Image
Ssryth
Sojourner

Postby Ssryth » Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:35 am

I have to disagree with you there Jhorr -
I think this forum is great for discussion on additions, bugs, changes, even suggestions that affect the mud. Quite a number of modifications (for the better) have resulted from discussion and feedback from threads here. There are those that choose to lighten the discussion with humour, and then there are flame wars.. but these things happen, different people do things differently.

Ssryth.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:58 am

My objection is with regard to the sense of entitlement it seems to have created. Sure some good ideas have been generated here, but at what cost?
Ssryth
Sojourner

Postby Ssryth » Mon Nov 05, 2001 12:39 pm

A false sense of entitlement perhaps - but I am sure we are all aware that opinions expressed here are just that; there are no guarantees that the decisions (if any) reached by those participating in the discussion will be implemented. Admittedly, overwhelming response to certain topics might sway the decisions of admin, but it is still their choice - it's just that now there is a means to take into account what general concensus is on a given issue.

Ssryth
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:58 pm

I do agree Jhorr.. I posted something called "When good isn't enough" back in august to that extent.

- Ragorn
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Nov 05, 2001 2:29 pm

I enjoy the bbs. Gives me something to read whilst at class. I think the good it has produced far outweighs the bad. Read the news and go back as far as you can go. About 30-50% of all that stuff was spurned on by posts on the bbs. I think that possibly adds up to a myriad of changes.

Yayaril
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Mon Nov 05, 2001 6:29 pm

I think the bbs is a great thing but I'm almost tempted to see if NOT reading it will make me appreciate the game more for what it is.

Within those 20,000 posts I wonder how many actually GOOD ideas have been taken up by the coders, probably somewhere under 50.

Everyone wants to be recognized for their idea and/or make their class better by telling the imms to do this or do that, (not claiming innocence, i'd like to think my ideas are pretty good).

But get real, there is so much spam here and on the mud and in real life that I think most of what goes on in the bbs gets lost, especially when idea threads get flooded with opinions.

just my 2c

E
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Nov 05, 2001 6:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>I know im l33t

Corth</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm so glad corth's class is being targeted and not mine. carry on *tickle corth*
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Mon Nov 05, 2001 8:24 pm

I love the BBS. I post here while I'm doing mindless exp.

Ooops group spank. I'll just say I was experiencing lag...

------------------
·Kuurg·
Xyd
Sojourner

Postby Xyd » Mon Nov 05, 2001 8:39 pm

I disagree -- I love this BBS. It gives me a chance to see what frustrations people (still) have that I don't since I stopped playing due to the elitist attitudes.

.xyd

PS - I agree Jhorr.
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Mon Nov 05, 2001 9:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jhorr:
One difference between Toril of old and the MUD now is this BBS. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand. What is the difference between this bbs and the bbs last wipe, or the wipe before that?
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:52 pm

If this were my MUD and my BBS, I'd think about spinning the BBS off into a player-owned and moderated forum hosted by EZBoard or another cheap host. Dunno if I'd do it, but I'd consider it, for the reasons stated by Jhorr, and those I saw on the Everquest boards.
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Tue Nov 06, 2001 3:35 am

I agree with Jhorr on this one to some extent.

Yes I think that the bbs is a way for ppl to cut off their nose to spite their face..
And yet I think if it wasn't for the bbs, ppl would be venting someplace else or another.

A double bladed sword so to speak.

------------------
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Nov 06, 2001 8:03 am

Hrmm..

There has been a public forum for Soj players for quite awhile now.

First, there was the independent Toril-Player mailing list during the Toril era, then we had the Turning Point UBBS for Soj2, and that has continued on into the current incarnation.

And of course, SOS2, the egroup that existed in the interim between Soj2 and 3.

As a staff member and forger, I assure you that these public forums in all their incarnations have been a tremendous tool for the staff. My theory is - people are going to bitch, whine and brainstorm no matter what. I'd prefer to have all of that in a controlled environment where the Staff can read the ideas and feedback, and the flaming and fighting can be stopped before it gets out of hand.

Should players spend more time enjoying the game and less negotiating it's features? Sure - but I can't control that, all I can do is offer you a public forum. How you use it is up to you.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Tue Nov 06, 2001 8:53 am

Indeed, Shev. Thanks for your input.

Although, I remember reading in one thread that at least one staff member felt the players (by voicing so many negative comments) did not seem to appreciate the work of the admins. And that this actually led to them being more disengaged with the MUD to the extent that they had contemplated retirement. As a result, some projects the players were dying to see implemented were probably further delayed, which surely aggravated their impatience, leading to more negative posts, etc., etc.

If that really is how it went down, I'd say those few precious ideas were obtained at significant risk.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Nov 06, 2001 9:37 am

I don't know of any projects thata were delayed for those reasons, Jhorr.

Sure, some staff members get demotivated on occassion by reading negative posts...but the general response is to stop reading the BBS for awhile, not retire. Image

And frankly, you pretty much have to have a thick skin to be a staff member here - we put up with alot of crap on a regular basis, for no pay. I'd venture to say that if any staff member decided to quit over negative criticism on the BBS, then they were probably on the way out anyhow. Burn out is very real, and happens frequently on a free MUD like this..

And further, the forums are about more than just obtaining ideas...it's also about disseminating information, building community...etc. Those latter two functions are actually more important, in my mind, than the game feedback and ideas.

My two cents, again.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”