whuts wrong with Oxon

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Turxx
Sojourner

whuts wrong with Oxon

Postby Turxx » Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:53 am

whut was wrong with the name Oxon? i think its bs he was forced to change it, the guy level to like 35(i think thats about his size) and is forced to change his name, now all those people who knew him wont, talk about a set back, build a rep as a good shaman and boom
i wont mention the names as ive nothing against them but i can think of two right of hand that not only very closely resemble english words, but one could easily be seen a drug reference and the other sexual.
and oxon is no good? why, ox on? bah! thats just stupid, i thought it was a great name

Turxx -offering unsolicited opinion of whut he thinks is an injustice and sincerly hoping nobody else suffers such a fate-

[This message has been edited by Turxx (edited 11-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Turxx (edited 11-06-2001).]
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Nov 05, 2001 2:31 pm

I think Oxon will easily be able to contact all his buddies and tell them that his/her name was changed. I know several people who changed their names at higher level than that and are just fine. I'm just angry that my antipaladin named 'Wiilderbeest' got his name changed..

Yayaril
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Tue Nov 06, 2001 6:13 am

yeah am im mad i dont have a troll named fuz no more, it doesnt matter he sent me a tell and told me his name was changed, my point is oxon was a great name for an ogre and i protest his name was not cool when there are others that are almost blatantly so uncool by the rules. let oxon be oxon.
Oxon no matter how you stack it was a great ogre name.

[This message has been edited by Turxx (edited 11-07-2001).]
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Tue Nov 06, 2001 10:47 am

*timidly* so can I have regnarami? I don't think it's being used this wipe....

good ogre name...

------------------
·Kuurg·
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Tue Nov 06, 2001 1:00 pm

*agree Turxx*
I also think that Oxon is a good ogre name, and I was really SURPRISED when I learned from unknown shaman that he was forced to change his name. Maybe he can get his name back? What about vote? Image
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:42 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Turxx:
[B]whut was wrong with the name Oxon?

nothin at all, i want an invoker called hydrojohn, wouldnt pass, whats wrong w that....//fil
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Wed Nov 07, 2001 9:40 pm

heh oxon is a cool name. i dont think that animal exists in this games' universe.

heh i seen enough star wars names get by though. the gods are not infallible when it comes to names so dont berate them too much.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:17 am

are you thinking oxen the animal? what the hell is an oxon cept a cool ogre shaman name?
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Thu Nov 08, 2001 9:38 am

Heh, what about some online survey/vote to return Oxon his proper old good name? Image I vote for Oxon, I like this good ogre name much more than his current one.
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
are you thinking oxen the animal? what the hell is an oxon cept a cool ogre shaman name? </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

id say oxon is a typoed ozon, ye know the gas that prevents uv-rays. on the other hand namechange on chars isnt good...it never should have been accepted in the first place imho, but if ye get a dude to 35 then any name should be a keeper.....//fil
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Nov 08, 2001 4:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fildur:
id say oxon is a typoed ozon, ye know the gas that prevents uv-rays. on the other hand namechange on chars isnt good...it never should have been accepted in the first place imho, but if ye get a dude to 35 then any name should be a keeper.....//fil</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'ozone' you mean? =)
Yes, I think if it got caught in, say, the 1-10 range it should be changed... changing name of a 35 seems kind of... painful.

Maybe admins could have a place to announce such changes?

For example, if I got my name changed, I wouldn't know where to start for telling people who I now was, since a lot of people I knew from before don't have the same names now, and I generally wait for them to contact me (haven't learned most new names yet, sorry Image).
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:51 pm

so whut about it gods? a vote maybe?
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Fri Nov 09, 2001 1:35 am

Come on. Yes 35 is long but Oxen? just cuz the ogres and trolls can't spell doesn't mean its a good name.

I can make a whole list of names that are questionable but not many are that obvious.

It goes back to 'should have known when you picked it'.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Nov 09, 2001 2:22 am

Oxen is the plural form of ox, an animal.

Help name 3) Words, mispelled or not. Examples: Wynde, Windy, Wynter

Oxon violates the naming policy. An admin didn't catch it until he was level 35, he was probably anonymous and obscure. It violates the naming policy, herego it is an illegal name.

Since we're now calling for votes on the rules of the mud, I'd like to call to question letting me play five characters at once. All in favor?

- Ragorn
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Fri Nov 09, 2001 3:26 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>Since we're now calling for votes on the rules of the mud, I'd like to call to question letting me play five characters at once. All in favor?

- Ragorn</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I AM WITH RAGORN ON THIS ONE!!! VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!

I can't wait to see Iaiken(pal), Ikenan(voker), Aiaken(cleric), Iainik(druid), and (last but not least) Aianek(conjie) running around smoking stuff!!! CAN YOU!?!

ROFL

Iaiken

ps: RAGORNZ RULEZ!!! tee hee...
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Fri Nov 09, 2001 12:43 pm

Disagree. Though making some spelling errors in "beer" will make it sound "bread", that doesnt necessarily mean that from now, bread must be treated like alcoholic beverage. Name Oxon sounds quite different from "ozone" and "oxen", by my humble opinion. And it isnt a matter of voting on rules, which ARE right. It is a matter if those rules were enforced correctly in THIS particular matter. I think they werent, and it isnt my ONLY my own humble opinion.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Nov 10, 2001 7:08 am

An Admin has nothing to go on but his or her own personal perception of the name in question.

If the player who as asked to change his name is deeply unhappy about it, the proper course of action would be for him to speak to a Senior Administrator about the problem.

Third parties posting on this board about it doesn't help the situation at all, though your concern for your friend is admirable.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”