Lack of Resurectors

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Lirathal
Sojourner

Lack of Resurectors

Postby Lirathal » Fri Nov 02, 2001 7:11 pm

Well I'm wanting this to be as constructive as possible so I'll keep an open mind. I have noticed that there is a large lack of clerics that have the ressurect spell. That leaves a lot of players with a stack of corpses, and other players preserving them non stop until the clerics have ress time (I'm not trying to attack Clerics, when they have the time is kewl otherwise don't bug em right?) I'm wondering if there is a way that you could (for temporary) put a mortition in the morgue that if you pay a couple hundred plat can ress you? (just until all the 46+ clerics that don't res get it more mainstream.) If that isn't possible how about mortition that enbalms the bodies for a price? I'm not trying to say that the clerics that have res arn't doing enough, they are probably sick of <insert any name here> tells you, 'got time for a res?' I'm sure that I haven't got all the ideas, but just something that can create a open forum for the people with about 5 corpses sitting in the morgue. I realize it's a game and if you lose your corpse, oh well. But it's nice to get some experience back and not have to worry about losing a corpse right? Anyway, I'm open to what ever you got to say, constructive or flame Image

Discliamer - in no way did I intend to offend anyone and in no way to I pretend to know how to spell :P
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Nov 02, 2001 7:50 pm

Don't worry, there should be another goodie resser soon, if not already. I *think* we've finished the quest. We'll be forwarding res requests to him.. cackle :P

May be a while to get another one after this though.. the full quest was pretty damned long.

I'm all for having someplace where you can get ressed, even if its kinda expensive (like 10p/level of corpse).. but of course this is from a biased view to reduce the tell spam I get when I log on :P

[This message has been edited by rylan (edited 11-02-2001).]
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Sat Nov 03, 2001 1:37 pm

This might get some angry glares, but how about putting a resser on a mountaintop in the middle of a !teleport zone so you have to drag your corpse up to some religious zealot? Image Make you pay that way instead of plats (or in addition to? I like the 10p/level idea, steep for me, but I suppose it should be) and also would ensure pc ressers still have some clout.

Vadian drags the corpse of Vadian along behind him.
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Sat Nov 03, 2001 8:42 pm

Ok i think this is a pretty lame idea. Image If you put a mob in the game that can cast resurrect on a player what is the point of even doing the resurrect quest? its much easier to just go out grab or borrow 200 plat and res no matter how far you have to drag or walk.. Image

I say just get off our collective asses and do the quest.. Cant figure it out? Then bring in more people to help you with it. Eventually it will be figured out and done with relative simplicity.

Until they they fixed preserve so it takes alot less spells to pres a lot longer..

------------------
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Nov 03, 2001 8:56 pm

Well it's not always easy to find someone to press your corpse... when I play my goodie nobody gives a shit, I can't even get a well or a gate, let alone a ress or press. I imagine it's like this for a lot of other people, and if you keep losing lvl 43 corpses you are never gonna be 50. A temple where you can buy a ress would be a good idea, just throw a 2000 plat price on it and you can be sure people aren't going to abuse it. 2000 p is a hefty sum of cash.
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Sat Nov 03, 2001 9:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
Well it's not always easy to find someone to press your corpse... when I play my goodie nobody gives a shit, I can't even get a well or a gate, let alone a ress or press. I imagine it's like this for a lot of other people, and if you keep losing lvl 43 corpses you are never gonna be 50. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fura regularly puts in hours at 3w pressing people whether she knows them or not, and so does my lower level druid on occasion..so I'm not sure how it is you aren't able to get a press..and I've not lacked for wells either..hrmm.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sat Nov 03, 2001 9:40 pm

Dear Cherzra,
In response to you previously communicated concerns about a lack of utility spells available to the average 'goody' player, I would first like to address the issue of your asking style. Have you followed the rules of asking for a pres'? The handbook clearly states that you shall A) look for a priest at or near the collection of corpses from here on labels 3 West. Choose 1 (hereafter denoted W) and type the following 'Tel W could you drop a few pres's on my corpse I'd hate to loose it Thanks in advance'. Should chosen cleric not perform the requested activity. Choose another as before.
Should there not be any priests near 3 West you should do 2 things. 1 mark the day on your calendar as it rarely if ever happens and 2 type 'wh good cler sort'. Find a human or elf cleric listed (hereby denoted as X) and type tel X 'when you get back to WD could you pres my corpse a couple of times no one is around to do it atm'. Repeat this to others of the variable X set. B) Should you ever have a conversation with said pres'ing clerics, or get an other opportunity to thank them or thank clerics via general shout, do so.
Please compare your efforts to the above noted methods, and make any alterations to see that they are in line with the requirements of the Clerics Local 4537.

Second, I am concerned with your efforts to recruit non-memebers of Local 4537 to do business within the city. Our members work a duly entitled job, and have families to support. I would appreciate it if you would not support these pariah in there effort to destabilize a Union town.
Thank you for your time,

Salen Rescuepractice
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Nov 03, 2001 9:55 pm

I hate it when nonunion trolls try to recruit cheap union labor.

Clerics 4537 unite!

- Ragorn
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Sun Nov 04, 2001 9:05 am

heh my chanter lost 4 corpses and had two failed resses in a week. at level 43, then 42 after all of this nearly level 41, i shelved her.

4 corpses cause not a single class. not a necro/shaman/cleric on who could cast press OR only low levels who would only press it a few times, giving less than a three hour rot time.

been there, and chanter xp sucks ass
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Sun Nov 04, 2001 10:35 pm

what is the one class that everyone already kiss's butt to? hmmf I know its not invokers Image
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:23 am

Well i'll pres you if you ask for it..if you dont ask i dont know you need it..
When i get res i'll res ya if you need it..If you dont ask i dont know ya need it! :P

As for corpse rot because ppl wont pres? thats such a bullshit excuse and i find it REALLY hard to believe you asked somebody to pres and they denied you...
No im not calling you a liar..i just stating my opinion...

Baikalisan

------------------
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:28 am

And if you ask someone to pres you, and they turn you down, or only pres you for X hours where X is one fewer than the number of hours it takes you to find a ress, that does not make them a bad person.

Be aware that asking low level clerics to pres you is an exercise in futility. Preserve adds one minute per level of the caster. Asking a level 20 cleric to "throw 7 hours on your corpse" is asking them to cast 21 preserves at 20-30 seconds per spell. And the next time they tug your sleeves while you're sitting 3w and ask for fly, di, dm, scales, haste, strength, dexterity, globe, and blur.. you need to pull the stick out and do it Image

- Ragorn
2 months as a cleric and already I saw it.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:51 am

Preserve time was tripled, so each level of the caster is 3 min of additional rot time.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:38 am

Want to help us?

Get rid of ress lag. Image

Dornax
Jurdex
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:08 pm

less res lag.. *drool*

At least remove the res lag if someone didn't consent Image
Zazure
Sojourner

Postby Zazure » Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:47 pm

lack of preserve? Herm... I have never refused to pres a corpse when asked.. Image otherwise, I also have no idea that you might need it. Is there a way to look at a corpse and know it needs presing? *blonde moment for me here.. Image* I am frequently in 3w presing corpses.. just give me a shout

Zazure
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:41 am

Why the hell is there so much lag on this spell when it already has a huge casting time, and doesn't really help in a combat situation? All I really see the lag doing is slowing down slogging through a hard CR.

Bleah.

Twyl
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Nov 07, 2001 2:44 pm

Yeah res lag is silly..

Zazure, If you have detect magic up, you'll see that a pres'd corpse has the "(Magic)" flag after it. One thing im not sure about is whether the flag disapears when the last pres fades.

Corth
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:34 am

Hey thats a good question...

Does the Magic flag go away when the last pres wears off?

------------------
Zazure
Sojourner

Postby Zazure » Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:59 am

Aye, corpse is either magic or non magic with detect, however I think it should have a fading on it. That way one would be able to tell if it needed more pressing.

Zazure
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Thu Nov 08, 2001 9:45 am

Another good question is what to do with corpses which have failed ress and are pressed well enough? They'll litter towns, and are practically useless. What about if a pressed corpse will fail a ress, it'll loose its pressed status and its rot timer will be set to 3-4 IRL hrs? It can still be revived if needed for zoning, but will rot eventually and will not litter the MUD anymore.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Nov 08, 2001 4:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Baikalisan:
<B>Ok i think this is a pretty lame idea. Image I say just get off our collective asses and do the quest.. Cant figure it out? Then bring in more people to help you with it. Eventually it will be figured out and done with relative simplicity.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing is, figuring out the ress quest probably involves a lot of deaths. Catch-22, right? You have to die a lot to get ress, but without ressers, noone wants to die a lot.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Nov 08, 2001 4:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>And if you ask someone to pres you, and they turn you down, or only pres you for X hours where X is one fewer than the number of hours it takes you to find a ress, that does not make them a bad person.

Be aware that asking low level clerics to pres you is an exercise in futility. Preserve adds one minute per level of the caster. Asking a level 20 cleric to "throw 7 hours on your corpse" is asking them to cast 21 preserves at 20-30 seconds per spell. And the next time they tug your sleeves while you're sitting 3w and ask for fly, di, dm, scales, haste, strength, dexterity, globe, and blur.. you need to pull the stick out and do it Image

- Ragorn
2 months as a cleric and already I saw it.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh... what's really bad is if you ask someone else to help get someone to pres your corpse and *they* don't know... I of course know how the pres goes down, but once I had to log in on telnet on a crappy connection and to reduce spam asked a groupmate to help find someone (thereby splitting the # of tells in half) to help pres a corpse. Groupie wound up finding a level 7 necro =(

I think the PRES helpfile should be edited to emphasize it is # of GAME hours, so that newer people don't go "oh yeah I just pressed your corpse 14 hrs, don't worry" =)
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Nov 08, 2001 4:33 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ruagh:
Another good question is what to do with corpses which have failed ress and are pressed well enough? They'll litter towns, and are practically useless. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Generally people drag those to out-of-the-way spots. Insofar as I've seen. IMHO there is not a burning need to imp extra code there.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Fri Nov 09, 2001 8:50 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B> Heh... what's really bad is if you ask someone else to help get someone to pres your corpse and *they* don't know... I of course know how the pres goes down, but once I had to log in on telnet on a crappy connection and to reduce spam asked a groupmate to help find someone (thereby splitting the # of tells in half) to help pres a corpse. Groupie wound up finding a level 7 necro =(

I think the PRES helpfile should be edited to emphasize it is # of GAME hours, so that newer people don't go "oh yeah I just pressed your corpse 14 hrs, don't worry" =)</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I lost a corpse that way - they told me it was pressed for 48 hours. I came back the next day w/resser willing and *boggle* where is my corpse? *doh*

Vadian
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Sat Nov 10, 2001 6:43 am

Ress lag...do away with them plz! Look at the casting time of that thing. Look at the recovery time of that thing. Do you really need a lag that long? Everyday I get on the mud and sit in DK for about 6 hours ressing "almost" everyone who asks me for a ress. (There are some twinkie 20- characters who i think can exp faster.) Anyway, because of the time it takes to cast, lag, recover, etc. plus the load of corpses, the dk fountain morgue has been growing consistently larger and larger. As DK is the official gathering spot of evil races and me being the only appointed resident resser, it's a lot of work. I am all for helping another cleric get ress to reduce my workload. But if you can just remove the ress lag associated with the spell, perhaps I can work more efficiently?

Yssilk
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Nov 10, 2001 6:47 am

When you say 'ress lag' do you meant the time in which the victim is under the Ress Affect and has reduced abilities, or the slight lag for the cleric?

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Nov 10, 2001 7:35 am

The "slight" (20 second) lag for the cleric Image

- Ragorn
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Sat Nov 10, 2001 7:41 am

The lag. I can't pick up people's eq for like 45 seconds. I can't respond to tells. I can't give direction to the group, etc.. its just frustrating and possibly unnecessary? Image

The other day I did a ress at like 3am and if someone had not been there to get the guy's stuff that fell he would have lost it to a crash (I was still lagged out when it crashed).

I think the ress recovery period (12 mins currently) is fine. It has been around for quite a long time. If it isn't broke, don't fix it, right?

However, I do think revive recovery should be like less than half of that (5-6 mins maybe?) of ress recovery. You're already not getting exp from it, and its probably a necessity (mid-zone in a !tele area is the only time I can think of when revive would be used) so why not make it slightly more attractive?

Dornax
Jurdex
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Nov 10, 2001 8:08 am

Ok, I'll grant that the spell lag for ress is probably due to be pared down.

The point about revive recovery being shortened is pretty good too...it makes sense. However, death should always result in SOME delay before the victim can return to battle. That said, a minor decrease is probably warranted.

No promises yet, but I'll see what I can do. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Nov 10, 2001 6:54 pm

Thanks for looking into it shev

Yeah, I think the 10-12 min res recovery period is fine.. and as dornax said, a faster recovery period for revive would be nice.

The main thing we'd like is the cleric casting lag for res to be lowered. Image
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Nov 10, 2001 8:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vipplin:
<B> Yep, I lost a corpse that way - they told me it was pressed for 48 hours. I came back the next day w/resser willing and *boggle* where is my corpse? *doh*

Vadian

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, I think the problem is everyone was told the pres time is *3 now... Don't believe the hype. From what I've seen, it doesn't really seem to last 3 times longer per spell. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”